JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Compact" is G19 size.
"Sub-Compact" is G43 size.

That's the nomenclature that the industry uses.
I'm not sure what a "micro".....maybe a Raven .25 ?

I think that a lot of women would like the sub-compact size.
My wife is petite and didn't like G17/G19 size pistols.
She shot the G43 exceptionally well and chose that.

There is a nice group of contenders in the "sub-compact" size.
Micro would be a G42 or an LCR. Don't get me wrong they have their place but are extremely limited by capacity and cartridge. Not exactly the gun I'd want my loved one carrying lol.
The subcompact category does have some nice options. The Shield really surprised me the first time I shot it, and the VP9SK as well.

I see that Walther has finally came out with a decent alternative to their PK380 in the Walther CCP M2 380. The M2 fixes the problems with the original CCP and the 380 version is lighter than the 9mm with Walther's Softcoil gas-delayed blowback system which uses gas pressure from the ignited cartridge by directing it through a small port in the barrel in front of the chamber to slow down and delay the rearward motion of the slide. The reviews are promising:
Walther is a really underappreciated manufacturer.

Micro would be a G42 or an LCR. Don't get me wrong they have their place but are extremely limited by capacity and cartridge. Not exactly the gun I'd want my loved one carrying lol.
The subcompact category does have some nice options. The Shield really surprised me the first time I shot it, and the VP9SK as well.
I thought G42 and G43 were the same frame just different chamberings ?

.380 or 9mm would be my minimum recommendation. G43 w extended mag is a fine weapon. I got my lady a bra holster for her compact .357 Taurus, but she never wears it. :(

View attachment 1026474
I don't blame her.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/18/woman-kills-self-adjusting-bra-holster/23640143/
Buy her a class not a gun. Only she will know what she wants/needs. A class will show her how to use one and several different types. Then she can make an informed decision that fits her.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Let her pick out whatever she wants.
YES THIS!!!
Almost very girl I've known that carried usually had a revolver or micro subcompact because "that's what my dad/uncle/boyfriend/gunshop" said to carry, at least until they shot my full size carry guns. Honestly, it's tiring that the 2A community at large isn't encouraging women to carry real defensive handguns and not garbage that companies pump out that is "designed for women". It's sad, and honestly sexist.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner. So I'm a dude but I'll get my instructor wife to chime in as well. We both work with women shooters. I'm teaching a 12 hour CCW class this weekend and will have extra guns for the folks who show up with a 5 shot J-Frame or similar and find they hate them. Same with the micro .380's & 9mm's and other guns that are super hard to rack, manipulate and shoot (not saying all are, but some just suck).

I was leading a class this week with six ladies, five had some type of S&W EZ, both in 9mm & 380, even a Performance Center. All shot well (one traded her 5 shot revolver for our 380EZ and asked where she could by one). My bride is 5'2" and carries guns ranging from the aforementioned S&W EZ to a Sig M18.

See you are near Salem. Four Corners Gun Club has a ladies shoot the third Monday each month which is open to non-club members. It only costs a couple of dollars and is a friendly environment to get some shooting in. In October it will move to the indoor, .22 rimfire range. Info is available on the calendar page. Kudos for you getting involved; the trick for all of us men is not getting too involved.

Tag @SouthernGirl your it.

I would like to find a range where my wife can rent and shoot the S&W M&P Shield EZ 2.0 380 without a safety and the Walther CCP M2 380 at the same time.
That's going to be tough in NE Oregon.
You could make a trip to Vancouver/Camas.
These two places are close to one another....

ETA:
Remember to always bring a cased pistol to a rental range.
Some ranges require that you have a pistol with you.

Seems strange at first glance, but it's an anti-suicide rule.
People have been known to go to a range, rent a gun and then shoot themselves.
The theory is that if you have a gun, you would have already done yourself in.

Last Edited:
I carry a Smith and Wesson M&P shield 9mm. That @EPS got me a couple years ago...it's compact and easy to handle. We got the mag extenders so It can hold 10 rounds. I really like it. This was my first CC I've owned, I used to just carry a 22 revolver in my truck lol

My girlfriend packs a sig p938 or a kimber micro 9...both 9mm, or how bout a kimber custom 2 10mm? Kidding on the 10mm

IMG_2935.jpg Kimbercustom2-6.jpg

YES THIS!!!

Winner, winner, chicken dinner. So I'm a dude but I'll get my instructor wife to chime in as well. We both work with women shooters. I'm teaching a 12 hour CCW class this weekend and will have extra guns for the folks who show up with a 5 shot J-Frame or similar and find they hate them. Same with the micro .380's & 9mm's and other guns that are super hard to rack, manipulate and shoot (not saying all are, but some just suck).

I was leading a class this week with six ladies, five had some type of S&W EZ, both in 9mm & 380, even a Performance Center. All shot well (one traded her 5 shot revolver for our 380EZ and asked where she could by one). My bride is 5'2" and carries guns ranging from the aforementioned S&W EZ to a Sig M18.

See you are near Salem. Four Corners Gun Club has a ladies shoot the third Monday each month which is open to non-club members. It only costs a couple of dollars and is a friendly environment to get some shooting in. In October it will move to the indoor, .22 rimfire range. Info is available on the calendar page. Kudos for you getting involved; the trick for all of us men is not getting too involved.

@horseshoedot I highly recommend that you let HER decide what she wants. I would be more than happy to meet with her and let her try a couple of options and talk to her.

Things that need to be thought of are
is it easy for the person to rack
is it easy to clean
how is the trigger?

Many men think women NEED a revolver. I just worked with a woman who was told she needed a revolver. She could not press the trigger and maintain muzzle control, so NONE of the rounds hit the paper. I handed her my 380 EZ and ALL of the rounds made it on the paper. That's why I say the trigger needs to be thought of.

A class would be to anyone's advantage. I work with women, I have two TWAW (The Well Armed Woman) chapters (Salem & Albany) and would be more than happy to work with her.

Looking for a concealed carry for my wife. Wondering what the favorite is out there for ease of use, accuracy, etc. what's the general concensus for a woman who has typically only shot .22 in the past and more protection/security minded vs blowing a big hole in a bad guy.
Well, since she can shoot a .22 and if you personally don't have a small defensive type .22, buying a Ruger LCPll wouldn't make range day suck and you both might like it.

YES THIS!!!

Thanks. I'll encourage her to get there and try the waters before "she" makes a decision. Most decisions I've made "for her" have been the wrong ones now that you all mention it. Ha!

That's going to be tough in NE Oregon.
You could make a trip to Vancouver/Camas.
These two places are close to one another....

ETA:
Remember to always bring a cased pistol to a rental range.
Some ranges require that you have a pistol with you.

Seems strange at first glance, but it's an anti-suicide rule.
People have been known to go to a range, rent a gun and then shoot themselves.
The theory is that if you have a gun, you would have already done yourself in.
We usually go to Sharp Shooting Indoor Range in Spokane, but haven't made the trip for several years. I just show them my CHL and I have never had any problems renting there.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews