JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coupla' things:

1. Bubblegum is meant to be chewed and spat out.
2. Old school/new school. Back in the early 80s, went to a verbal DV where the drunk ex brought the kids home from visitation, then would not leave. Ex-wife called. We had him (old-time bar brawler) convinced to leave, but when he got to the threshold, he turned and went back in. The fight was on. While I kept the wife away, two others clustered up with him and were dancing around. I spotted arm arm sticking out of the mess and grabbed it, pulling them all to the ground. Then, serious flashlight (fleshlight?) work was done and off we went to jail - all of us bloody. At the booking counter, he turned around and said to us, "Hey, no hard feelings, huh guys?" Fair enough.

Old school.

These:

Thanks, I hadn't seen that before, except for like in Batman movies and such.

Coupla' things:

2. Old school/new school. Back in the early 80s, went to a verbal DV where the drunk ex brought the kids home from visitation, then would not leave. Ex-wife called. We had him (old-time bar brawler) convinced to leave, but when he got to the threshold, he turned and went back in. The fight was on. While I kept the wife away, two others clustered up with him and were dancing around. I spotted arm arm sticking out of the mess and grabbed it, pulling them all to the ground. Then, serious flashlight (fleshlight?) work was done and off we went to jail - all of us bloody. At the booking counter, he turned around and said to us, "Hey, no hard feelings, huh guys?" Fair enough.

Old school.

Then there a day when a LEO would follow a guy home after pulling him over and he was intoxicated.

Real old school.

Coupla' things:

Old school.

A consequence of trying to eliminate violence in US culture is people live in this make believe world where they think people fall on marshmallow clouds and two finger judo throws are a real thing. With body camera footage, they see a beatdown and it looks SO HORRIBLE and BARBARIC! No, thats just the way violence is, no matter how righteous.

I dropped a trespasser from an office building after he refused to leave. I did a textbook armbar and the dude got a little scratch on his hand when he tried to brace himself. Some lady is like "oh my God he's bleeding!". He's lucky I just had my DT class and it was still fresh in my mind! Otherwise, he'd have got dumped!

We need to bring back the Police beat downs. They had a great effect on the community.

Want to act like an bubblegum, get your bubblegum pushed in.
Want to fight with the cops, Get a Liberal Application of Hickory Shampoo.
Want to beat on your wife and kids, Have the squad beat you till you piss blood.

The fear of a police asswhooping where you know his friends were close behind to join in on the fun, kept people safe. People want to run their mouth and fight with the police, escalating force resulting in them being killed. Had the cops been able to stop dat bubblegum, many would still be alive with the added benefit of a lesson that may change their behavior in the future.

We live in a world where people don't have consequences and kids growing up with pathetic excuses for parents who did not instill discipline and respect in their bang fruit. The best lessons are the ones learned in pain. Someone has to do it.

Back in the day not everyone who got a cop's attention went to court. Beat cops administered nightstick justice when and where appropriate. The courts weren't bogged down in petty cases, prosecutors focused on their real work, justice was swift and potent, and cops were respected. Somewhere we turned a corner and headed down hill.

They were striking muscle mass, a move to joints would be a very different story.

That's the way we were taught. Target the large muscle mass.

Think about it.....
Say that you strike a knee cap........the guy will probably need surgery and/or never walk the same again. I don't think that the PD and the City wanted to deal with that issue.

Aloha, Mark

Baton for SD. Rrrrright? After just a few days of training, you could be this good too.

NOT. There are better tools to legally carry. Mind you that a baton is also considered to be a "deadly weapon" in most places.

But.....what if the Good Guy is attacked by a Bad Guy with a sword?

Or say...... the fiend was armed with a BANANA?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Targeting joints is a big no-no for LE. We used to get a map of the body that looks like one of those diagrams of where on the cow your meat comes from. We could only strike rump roast and top round.
That's the way we were taught. Target the large muscle mass.

Think about it.....
Say that you strike a knee cap........the guy will probably need surgery and/or never walk the same again. I don't think that the PD and the City wanted to deal with that issue.

Aloha, Mark

I get that from policing perspective but the title of the thread is "Batons for self defense" and the OP speaks of their "ineffectiveness" so from that perspective if I'm in a SD situation it is all on the table and would hesitate striking a knee, elbow, wrist, collar bone, throat or skull.

I get that from policing perspective but the title of the thread is "Batons for self defense" and the OP speaks of their "ineffectiveness" so from that perspective if I'm in a SD situation it is all on the table and would hesitate striking a knee, elbow, wrist, collar bone, throat or skull.
An untrained person is not going to be effective, and if they get a lucky hit, can kill someone or permanently disable them. They are a deadly weapon in all but those who train extensively with them, and its a perishable skill.

For self defense we have guns. Anything worth beating with a stick is worth shooting, usual more than once. You don't want to be the guy getting beat to death with his own ASP.

Of course......
In a life or death matter.....you do what you gotta do.

For the cops....who are somewhat trained (mind you, not Donnie YEN's level) and legally carry.....
It's always good to periodically go over your Department's "Continuum of Force Guideline". And, while you're at it....remember, that you can jump (up or down) the guideline's steps. When it is warranted.

Because Grasshopper....

"Gunate"

Is just one of the tools you have.:D

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
What about carrying handcuffs with your baton?

Pin on a CHL badge too, for that all over good feeling of pretending you're a LEO?

Hey forget batons, get a halberd, a short and long sword while you're at it.

Oh, and get you some chain mail armor, forget kevlar.

I've got a lot of other great ideas....batons...pppfffffft!

Pin on a CHL badge too, for that all over good feeling of pretending you're a LEO?

Hey forget batons, get a halberd, a short and long sword while you're at it.F

Lol, no kidding. I'll never forget seeing some guy pull out a brand new Harbor Freight double jack during a road rage in an intersection.

An untrained person is not going to be effective, and if they get a lucky hit, can kill someone or permanently disable them. They are a deadly weapon in all but those who train extensively with them, and its a perishable skill.

For self defense we have guns. Anything worth beating with a stick is worth shooting, usual more than once. You don't want to be the guy getting beat to death with his own ASP.

I don't disagree with anything you said. That said, an untrained person is not going to be as effective with any weapon including a gun, guns are just a little easier and more forgiving. You don't want to be the guy getting shot to death with his own gun either.

Of course batons are a deadly weapon, that is what I like about them, they can be used as a less lethal alternative or instantly ratcheted up the scale simply by how it is used. My school of thought is self defense goes way beyond the gun and that includes hands on, impact and improvised weapons.

Hey forget batons, get a halberd, a short and long sword while you're at it.

So cops should be the only ones with handcuffs and baton? Sort like only cops should have guns? I wonder where have I heard that before?

Personally, I'd love to have a halberd, a short and long sword and some chain mail armor. Why, is there something wrong with that? I really want a war hammer like Mel Gibson had in Braveheart. I have always had an interest in weapons I don't care if they are medieval, martial or modern. I still remember beating the piss out of myself with a 3 sectional staff when I young teen growing up in California where they were illegal. It is still one of my favorite weapons. Does that mean I'm pretending to be San Te?

Last Edited:
I've noticed that......

You can get a permit to carry a concealed weapon- firearm.

But, I've never seen a permit to carry a baton.

And of course......I could be all wrong. Maybe, a permit to carry a baton isn't needed at all (in certain states)?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....in Hawaii.

§134-9 Licenses to carry. (a) In an exceptional case, when an applicant shows reason to fear injury to the applicant's person or property, the chief of police of the appropriate county may grant a license to an applicant who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more or to a duly accredited official representative of a foreign nation of the age of twenty-one years or more to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor concealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. Where the urgency or the need has been sufficiently indicated, the respective chief of police may grant to an applicant of good moral character who is a citizen of the United States of the age of twenty-one years or more, is engaged in the protection of life and property, and is not prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm, a license to carry a pistol or revolver and ammunition therefor unconcealed on the person within the county where the license is granted. The chief of police of the appropriate county, or the chief's designated representative, shall perform an inquiry on an applicant by using the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, to include a check of the Immigration and Customs Enforcement databases where the applicant is not a citizen of the United States, before any determination to grant a license is made. Unless renewed, the license shall expire one year from the date of issue.

(b) The chief of police of each county shall adopt procedures to require that any person granted a license to carry a concealed weapon on the person shall:

(1) Be qualified to use the firearm in a safe manner;

(2) Appear to be a suitable person to be so licensed;

(3) Not be prohibited under section 134-7 from the ownership or possession of a firearm; and

(4) Not have been adjudged insane or not appear to be mentally deranged.

(c) No person shall carry concealed or unconcealed on the person a pistol or revolver without being licensed to do so under this section or in compliance with sections 134-5(c) or 134-25.

(d) A fee of $10 shall be charged for each license and shall be deposited in the treasury of the county in which the license is granted. [L 1988, c 275, pt of §2; am L 1994, c 204, §8; am L 1997, c 254, §§2, 4; am L 2000, c 96, §1; am L 2002, c 79, §1; am L 2006, c 27, §3 and c 66, §3; am L 2007, c 9, §8]

§134-51 Deadly weapons; prohibitions; penalty. (a) Any person, not authorized by law, who carries concealed upon the person's self or within any vehicle used or occupied by the person or who is found armed with any dirk, dagger, blackjack, slug shot, billy, metal knuckles, pistol, or other deadly or dangerous weapon shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and may be immediately arrested without warrant by any sheriff, police officer, or other officer or person. Any weapon, above enumerated, upon conviction of the one carrying or possessing it under this section, shall be summarily destroyed by the chief of police or sheriff.

(b) Whoever knowingly possesses or intentionally uses or threatens to use a deadly or dangerous weapon while engaged in the commission of a crime shall be guilty of a class C felony. [L 1937, c 123, §1; RL 1945, §11114; RL 1955, §267-25; HRS §727-25; ren L 1972, c 9, pt of §1; am L 1977, c 191, §2; am L 1983, c 267, §1; gen ch 1985; am L 1989, c 211, §10; am L 1990, c 195, §3 and c 281, §11; am L 1992, c 87, §4; am L 1993, c 226, §1; am L 1999, c 285, §2]

My italics and underscore added, for talking points.

Last Edited:
Though.....Young vs Hawaii has sort of changed the way 134-9 is applied. Because the 9th Circuit says that open carry is legal in Hawaii. It's NOT just limited to uniformed Security Guards, etc...

Constitutional Law - Ninth Circuit Strikes down Licensing Law in Favor of Second Amendment Right to Open Carry - Young v. Hawaii, 896 F.3d 1044 (9th Cir. 2018) Case Comments 52 Suffolk University Law Review 2019

Gun advocates need to tread carefully, despite <i>Young v. Hawaii</i> victory

Whatever.....I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. Additionally....I never stayed at a Holiday Inn.

Aloha, Mark

PS....for those too lazy to read stuff.....

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads