JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my son and his friend (16 & 17) want to do a solo overnight camping/fishing trip to a fairly remote spot in Lewis County,

Both of them have their heads on straight, but I dont leave my cave without my club and dont like the idea of them out there without anything.

Pretty sure firearms are off the table

How about open carry fixed blade knives? Pepper spray even?

Anything?

Defensive against what...?
Animal or other people...?

If people...

In my experience a knife can be good however....
Using it in a defensive or offensive manner ain't nothing at all like in movies , TV or video games.
It takes skill , practice and the willingness to use it.

I have no real world experience with pepper spray..so I can't say here.

For both people and animals...
I would suggest :
A good , clean camp....
Situational awareness....
A non-confrontational manner...but also a " I ain't worth the fight , to get what you want " look....
( which may be asking a lot from a 16 and 17 year old...not to forget to mention many adults )
A stout walking staff...
Andy

I dont know Wa. law but I think a tent is considered the same thing as a house when it comes to possessing guns.
Regardless I dont see why a minor cant posess a gun in the woods. Wa even allows concealed carry for outdoor recreation without a permit.

To me this one would fall under, "you can't live your life in so much constant fear that it prevents you from actually living your life." Some of my best memories in life are of various "buddy trips." I'd let them go.

But...
  • Bear spray and pepper spray for sure
  • Decent knife for sure
  • Make sure you know exactly where they're going and their route
  • Make sure you have designated check-in times
  • Make sure you have the phone numbers for the ranger station and/or sheriff's office in the area they are going, BEFORE they leave home
  • To that end, see if they can "check-in" with the local ranger station before they start their hike
  • Do you know if they will have cell service?
  • You can rent Sat phones
  • They make texting units that utilize satellites instead of the phone networks so they're supposed to work anywhere as long as you have line of sight to the sky (ie not under the trees.
  • They do make rescue beacons that can be activated if you get into trouble
  • Make sure they have a decent first aid kit and know how to use it

If you do not want them armed there are several less lethal. OC in the form of Bear spray is a good one. I recently bought another Pepper ball launcher for me. Bought one while back for one kid who will not own a gun. Impressed me enough to buy another for my property as a less lethal option while I do carry. Something like this you will have to make sure the kids are mature enough to understand these are not a toy to play with on each other. LOT of adults don't seem to poses this much maturity so you would have to make sure the kids did. Don't want them hurting themselves thinking they are toys.

I have a 6-foot walking stick made from a straight piece of maple about 1-1/4" in diameter. I sharpened it to a point with a sharp hatchet. I tore a meniscus about a year ago and Kaiser decided I'm not worth fixing, so the stick gets used when I am in the woods. I figure if a Cougar jumps me (I've seen them on the property, but none were aggressive) I figure the sharp end will be pointed their direction when they arrive.

In the words of an Alaskan Bush Pilot when he was ridiculed for carrying a snub-nose .38 Special as a bear gun: "It's better than poking your finger up his nose."

RCW 9.41.042 exempts minors when hunting and traveling (unloaded) to or from hunting and at their residence (which I think a campsite applies, I think...)
RCW 9.41.060 exceptions "any person" engaging in lawful outdoor recreation such as "fishing, camping, hiking" including traveling to or from outdoor recreation area.

If they're out in the woods, they may need some cutting tools on hand anyway that could be used for defensive purposes in a pinch - machete, axe or hatchet, fixed-blade knife, folding knife, etc. However, as Andy mentioned above, blades for defense takes some willingness to use. Most people have a natural aversion to harming others and will hesitate, especially with a blade.

I would recommend greater focus be on maintaining situational awareness and avoiding potential threats before they require intervention. For threats that can't be avoided, a baseball bat, expandable baton, pepper ball launcher, bear spray, or taser would be worthwhile alternatives to cutting tools.

If you decide you're willing to arm them with a real gun, a break action shotgun is an inexpensive and practical option. I have an ATI Nomad 12ga with a factory 18" barrel that folds in half into a nice compact package - there are other brands that do the same thing, and almost all are under $200 new. That with a butt stock shell holder and limb saver recoil pad makes a great camping gun.

1680193567572.png

1680193490162.png

Hear any banjo music?
1680193434580.png

Aloha, Mark

If they're out in the woods, they may need some cutting tools on hand anyway that could be used for defensive purposes in a pinch - machete, axe or hatchet, fixed-blade knife, folding knife, etc. However, as Andy mentioned above, blades for defense takes some willingness to use. Most people have a natural aversion to harming others and will hesitate, especially with a blade.

I would recommend greater focus be on maintaining situational awareness and avoiding potential threats before they require intervention. For threats that can't be avoided, a baseball bat, expandable baton, pepper ball launcher, bear spray, or taser would be worthwhile alternatives to cutting tools.

If you decide you're willing to arm them with a real gun, a break action shotgun is an inexpensive and practical option. I have an ATI Nomad 12ga with a factory 18" barrel that folds in half into a nice compact package - there are other brands that do the same thing, and almost all are under $200 new. That with a butt stock shell holder and limb saver recoil pad makes a great camping gun.
If you're thinking axe or hatchet, a tomahawk is a great choice. It's between the two in size and weight, with a relatively long handle. Where a hatchet is short on reach and an axe is unwieldy for self-defense, the tomahawk was designed for both fighting and utility. Choke up on the handle and you have a hatchet. A regular grip lets you reach out and increases leverage. A two-handed grip gives you serious impact force.

Must be getting older. Even back in the 90s as teenagers, which was only a couple of years ago if I remember right, we never hit the woods without our .22s or shotguns. Guess that kind of thing is frowned upon now. If they can't take a firearm I'd send them with bear spray and a long handled axe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top