JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating facts here about myself. It also appears that I'm not alone by a long shot either. I've been watching almost all of these threads for quite a while and am definitely seeing patterns. Have you seen anyone get an instant within the last week, basically since the 8th?
Not here or on any other forum has there been a report of an instant since the 8th. At least from threads I've tried keeping track on. There are a lot of threads.

Like many, I was in the queue for my background check last Tuesday, I was 7,090 in line just off the phone with my FFL today, I'm 6,783, which amounts to almost 5 business days. The state has processed 307 background checks or about 61 a day some other posts mention they should be able to process about 500 a day. I really don't know if the 500 a day is accurate but it seems like they should be able to process way more than 61 a day?

Any insights on all this?
Nope, wrong answer, why can't you accept the fact that they are deliberately slowing things down?
How about some facts from previous years that had actual covid restrictions?
fact
2020 processed 418,061
2021 processed 338,330
do the math divide by 52 to get weekly average

wasn't there just a wee bit more covid those years?

so quit making covid apologies and look at facts.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, just stating facts here about myself. It also appears that I'm not alone by a long shot either. I've been watching almost all of these threads for quite a while and am definitely seeing patterns. Have you seen anyone get an instant within the last week, basically since the 8th?
I have a freind who has insta cleared numerous times since Dec 8th. He was born in oregon, CHL, no criminal record, etc. I think you have to have been born in Oregon plus have a few other things in your favor (like a CHL, unique name) to have any chance of insta clearing.

If you were born in another state and have an Oregon CHL you will NOT be insta cleared, from what i have heard/seen.

I have a freind who has insta cleared numerous times since Dec 8th. He was born in oregon, CHL, no criminal record, etc. I think you have to have been born in Oregon plus have a few other things in your favor (like a CHL, unique name) to have any chance of insta clearing.

If you were born in another state and have an Oregon CHL you will NOT be insta cleared, from what i have heard/seen.
I'm all of those plus more, multiple NFA items. Oregon native, less than 100 people in the US with my last name, CHL, clean record, and have always been instant. I'm the old school type that doesn't believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see, and I see a big change for the exact types you are describing.

I was not born in Oregon and got an Instant the other day. I do check the other boxes though.

I'm all of those plus more, multiple NFA items. Oregon native, less than 100 people in the US with my last name, CHL, clean record, and have always been instant. I'm the old school type that doesn't believe anything I hear, and only half of what I see, and I see a big change for the exact types you are describing.
Yea i can't be sure why he always clears, i just know that he does (and i don't). I have lived in oregon for 40 years but was born out of state so i assume that is why i get thrown to the back of the queue vs him (all else being the same).

I honestly dont know why he clears every time lol. He is basically John Wick, somewhere in the system there is a flag by his name saying "give this man a gun".

I was born herein Oregon, no criminal record and i have one hell of a basic but odd name plus a CHL. But i will say I've heard of some people leaving same day since 114 passed.

Last Edited:
Yea i can't be sure why he always clears, i just know that he does (and i don't). I have lived in oregon for 40 years but was born out of state so i assume that is why i get thrown to the back of the queue vs him (all else being the same).

I honestly dont know why he clears every time lol. He is basically John Wick, somewhere in the system there is a flag by his name saying "give this man a gun".
I'd be willing to bet a good portion of my next paycheck that he'd not get an instant now, I've been is his shoes my whole life, like your buddy but the rules have just changed. Heck, just for fun we should find a High Point for him just to see, LOL.

It's possible there is not deliberate slowdown of BGC processing by OSP FICS but rather its a process system failure. To give the good folks at FICS the benefit of the doubt I am suggesting the following.

According to the 2022 NICS published data the average monthly submittals for Oregon background checks in 2022 was approximate 33,000. Then came November with almost 3 times that at 91,661. I would not call this panic buying in response to OR114, rather a rational opportunistic decision. Anyone contemplating a firearm purchase in the following few years would rationally choose to purchase one now (post election) to avoid the clusterf and expense of the purchase permit. This was an obvious and forseeable reaction to the bill's passage. OSP FCIS should have had a contingency plan in place to deal with it. They didn't, poor planning, they failed.

It is possible, in November, in response to the demand they increased staff overtime to keep abreast of the influx, but they were not even treading water, they were drowning! The backlog went from 5,000 to 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, 40,000 etc. As a result of the overtime they may have exceeded their budget limitations and are now at a skeleton staff, hence the current glacial pace of processing (just speculation). A system designed as theirs that requires staff to manually process the majority of submittals is doomed to fail. There is an efficient system in place that State chooses not to utilize (direct FFL to FICS processing).

The OSP FICS has the basic task of timely processing background checks. With a backlog of over 40,000 and at current pace will take over a year to clear, they have utterly and totally failed. It presents an undue restriction of the 2nd​ amendment right based on its inherent design and failure to respond to Oregonians attempt to legally purchase firearms.

The OSP FICS department should be disbanded and FFLs allowed to contact the FBI's NICS system directly (which had in 2021 a 87.98 Instant (30 min) clearance rate). That will never happen as bureaucracies never kill themselves.

A rational solution would be to install a tripwire to allow direct FFL to NICS processing when a backlog is expected to exceed 20-30 days but that ain't gonna happen either.

It's possible there is not deliberate slowdown of BGC processing by OSP FICS but rather its a process system failure. To give the good folks at FICS the benefit of the doubt I am suggesting the following.

According to the 2022 NICS published data the average monthly submittals for Oregon background checks in 2022 was approximate 33,000. Then came November with almost 3 times that at 91,661. I would not call this panic buying in response to OR114, rather a rational opportunistic decision. Anyone contemplating a firearm purchase in the following few years would rationally choose to purchase one now (post election) to avoid the clusterf and expense of the purchase permit. This was an obvious and forseeable reaction to the bill's passage. OSP FCIS should have had a contingency plan in place to deal with it. They didn't, poor planning, they failed.

It is possible, in November, in response to the demand they increased staff overtime to keep abreast of the influx, but they were not even treading water, they were drowning! The backlog went from 5,000 to 10,000, 20,000, 30,000, 40,000 etc. As a result of the overtime they may have exceeded their budget limitations and are now at a skeleton staff, hence the current glacial pace of processing (just speculation). A system designed as theirs that requires staff to manually process the majority of submittals is doomed to fail. There is an efficient system in place that State chooses not to utilize (direct FFL to FICS processing).

The OSP FICS has the basic task of timely processing background checks. With a backlog of over 40,000 and at current pace will take over a year to clear, they have utterly and totally failed. It presents an undue restriction of the 2nd​ amendment right based on its inherent design and failure to respond to Oregonians attempt to legally purchase firearms.

The OSP FICS department should be disbanded and FFLs allowed to contact the FBI's NICS system directly (which had in 2021 a 87.98 Instant (30 min) clearance rate). That will never happen as bureaucracies never kill themselves.

A rational solution would be to install a tripwire to allow direct FFL to NICS processing when a backlog is expected to exceed 20-30 days but that ain't gonna happen either.

But….. that would mean people would ACTUALLY get their guns in an efficacious and speedy manner!

Don't be silly.

:rolleyes:

This is incorrect.

This is incorrect.
Yup. Born in Mass, have a CHL. Always instant, except on one multi-handgun (had done several multi's before & since - instant).

That one exception took a few hours into next morning. Shop was closing, started transfer just over an hour before close. Shop called next am at opening, cleared & come on in.

Have not purchased since election/114.

Not here or on any other forum has there been a report of an instant since the 8th. At least from threads I've tried keeping track on. There are a lot of threads.
I had a instant approval yesterday. Maybe it's my name? I don't think there is anyone else in Oregon with my name.

Oregon's FICS was always a way to slow you down or delay you getting a legally purchased firearm , acting as a bridge between NICS and the FFL is a bottle neck no matter how you look at it . I know in my time in the state before I moved back from whence I came it took days during the corna and after to clear a check and to get a rifle here it took mere minutes ... No fuss no muss and you are exempted entirely from the NICS check if you have a CCW permit

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews