JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you carry long enough, it becomes like breathing.

You will get used to it in time if you carry more. I carry everywhere because evil and crazy can show up anytime. In fact, I feel weird if I don't have my gun with me.

Get a good gun & holster that is easy for you to conceal and carry all the time. You can't use it if you leave it home.

And what is a "red zone" anyway?

Everywhere is a red zone! There are "worse" red zones though! As I got older I have progressed (regressed?) from 1911's and even 6" .357 revolvers to smaller and smaller pistols. For a few years I only carried a Seacamp .32 and then a LPC .380. Now I've been carrying a mini-nine for the last couple years, solution found! Sig 9 mm and .380 for extra concealment. I carry at all times, home included, makes the rig disapear to my mind all the while aware that I'm armed. If you carry always, especially if you are gettin' a bit older polymer is your friend, sorry purists but it's a dream to carry!:D

I don't understand. If you're using a modern firearm the only way to strain the spring is constant loading and unloading.
It makes sense to top off the mag.
May make sense for you.
My habit. From back in the olden days.
My confidence. One or two rounds ought to reduce the issue.
My caution. Out in public, I want to account where each one might go.
My persona. Fully filled mags weigh more. Make my trouser saggier.

When 3-gunning with my 1911, I have 10 round single stacks.
With my G22, I have 22 round double stackers
Some of the boys shooting 9mm have 30 round mags.
I could CC my G26 and 30 round mags, G27 and 22 round mags.
Sometimes I don't bother carrying the extra 7 rounds.

I don't expect my friends (rucks filled w rounds) around when I need to pull my CC,
I don't expect to stay to fight against an aware rational, determined shooter.
With unexpected opposition (surprise) on my side, I plan to bushwhack the terrorist nutjob.

We who CC will be 2nd guessed by armchair generals for months after the fight.
Thinking and practicing a lot if/before "IT" happens.

My wrist and arm get weary after 7

I felt that way for maybe the first week...Long ago.
Everywhere is a red zone.
I live in a very rural area, and even this is a red zone. Few years back there was some crazy guy running from the law and late one evening I hear what I thought was deer or maybe elk crashing thru the brush... Nope it was Mr Methhead running crazy thru the blackberries and under brush...
And there I was standing there looking at him when he popped out of the brush 40 yards from my house..
I had no firearm, and he had a large stick in hand that he had been beating down the brush with...
I grabbed and axe I had laying there and went after him and he bolted for my house. (wife and kids inside)

He made it to about 15' from the door and my size large great Pyrenees realized some serious crap was going on in the front yard and he jumped the fence..Well methy took a detour and headed for my driveway and about that time the cops that had been looking for him were coming down my driveway lol...
Oh man you should have seen the mayhem..My dog caught him just as the cops spotted him. Cops pulled their guns on me as I had grabbed my FN-SLP from the house...Dropped it instantly I did...Then they were going to pepper spray the bad guy but I had to jump in a save him from Harley (the sheep dog 160lbs). He had him down and was going to kill him..

Never safe, even at home in a rural area...

Last Edited:
First of all, +1 to what @Certaindeaf said in this and other posts.

Carrying is awkward, for a while. But if you do it consistently, and I mean every day, that will go away in short order. You stop thinking about it every time you move. You stop feeling for it to make sure it's not falling out. You stop worrying about printing. That will come in time, but I would say carrying just once in a while isn't going to get you to the comfort zone.

As for rotating to all those different guns, I don't think that's a great idea either. In a high-stress situation, you may not have time to think about whether the gun you have on your belt has a safety or not. You may forget which controls are where. In the training classes I've had, they recommend minimizing carry rotation and practicing with your carry gun. Drawing from the holster, re-holstering, and, if you have a range that allows it (mine does), draw and fire from concealment.

Lastly, to re-emphasize what Certaindeaf said above - there is no such thing as a 'red' zone. Sure some areas may be perceived as more dangerous. But really, what do you consider 'red' zones? A school? Movie theater? Local mall? Restaurant? Office building? Church? Grocery store? Or are you simply thinking about some back alley downtown in the middle of the night? Violent crimes happen everywhere, not just in what we perceive are 'bad' places - including all the places I just listed. If it were true that we could really identify crime zones, we'd all avoid them, all the time. I think you need to rethink why and when you carry. If it's for self defense, then you need to wake up to the fact that violent crime can, and does happen anywhere and everywhere. And most likely, you'll not be expecting it when it does happen.

As a point of note, I was in a local hospital a few months ago. I was in the lobby waiting for someone when a scuffle started between security and a man that was obviously a little crazy. Then he pulled a weapon and things got crazy. There were people everywhere - we were ushered into a side room. The whole time, I'm kicking myself for having honored the 'no guns' policy at the hospital - and now, here I was, without my gun, at a time I may have needed it. Thankfully it got handled, but it reminded me that even in a place where I would have thought I was safe, bad things can and will happen.

I made the decision to carry everywhere that wasn't expressly prohibited by the law. It didn't take long before that feeling of awkwardness went away and I started instead to feel more secure, knowing I at least had an option if something did happen.

So, my recommendation: carry every day, everywhere you're allowed, train regularly with your carry gun(s) and minimize rotation of carry guns.

Well said. My thoughts exactly!!!~

I've been reading through what you've had to say and it seems to me the "awkwardness" you refer to is more a feeling of "guilt" infused in you by anti-gun propaganda. You feel guilty and sneaky doing something that you've been repeatedly told is bad. As far as CC is concerned, think of it as putting you one step ahead of anyone that wishes to do you harm. Carry something that fits and carry it all of the time.:)

My daughter is a shrink. :eek: Does it show.o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:

I've been reading through what you've had to say and it seems to me the "awkwardness" you refer to is more a feeling of "guilt" infused in you by anti-gun propaganda. You feel guilty and sneaky doing something that you've been repeatedly told is bad. As far as CC is concerned, think of it as putting you one step ahead of anyone that wishes to do you harm. Carry something that fits and carry it all of the time.:)

My daughter is a shrink. :eek: Does it show.o_Oo_Oo_O:rolleyes:

She could find a lot of work here on this site:D :confused:

Much appreciated. I don't exactly lose sleep over it. I just noticed last time when I tucked my IWB holster that I was doing something that felt weird for hiding it. As I said earlier, if it wasn't for schools which I enter twice a day, I would carry much more often. My preferred carry is a CZ75P07. It's comfy in an IWB Kydex, has plenty of power and I am accurate with it up to 20 yds. I am not dismissing the "guilt" factor, but I think I have got over that (definitely an early hurdle). I still strive to stay legal though.

Much appreciated. I don't exactly lose sleep over it. I just noticed last time when I tucked my IWB holster that I was doing something that felt weird for hiding it. As I said earlier, if it wasn't for schools which I enter twice a day, I would carry much more often. My preferred carry is a CZ75P07. It's comfy in an IWB Kydex, has plenty of power and I am accurate with it up to 20 yds. I am not dismissing the "guilt" factor, but I think I have got over that (definitely an early hurdle). I still strive to stay legal though.

:D How can you do an honest Dirty Harry? "This is a C Z 75 P O 7 the most powerful handgun in the world an will blow your head clean off". Just saying...:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top