JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, consistency in kit lends to muscle memory. Muscle memory requires little to no mental engagement other than to initiate the action. Those milliseconds make the difference between winners and losers.

That's one reason our military kits up and loads out their units in a uniform manner. One soldier can pick up another's weapon and not fumble around with the controls.

"It just occurred to me that the reason it feels awkward is because I carry concealed. I am hiding something. Hiding things to me has a connotation of impropriety..".
And hey, I'm not a psychologist or anything and we perhaps don't need to cloud your issue with philosophy or puritanism, but what people said in this thread is true.
Perhaps read The Art of War by Sun Tsu.. a well thought out and easy read from antiquity.
Much of life is war and simple concepts regarding allowing people simple knowledge of your business is often the wise thing to do and is addressed throughout the book.

There's no such thing as a "red zone".. evil happens everywhere and all the time. The only way to be prepared for it is to be prepared for it all the time.
I'd daresay were you to carry more than occasionally.. meaning all the time, in short order you'd be more comfortable and at ease carrying your gun.
Good luck.

First of all, +1 to what @Certaindeaf said in this and other posts.

Carrying is awkward, for a while. But if you do it consistently, and I mean every day, that will go away in short order. You stop thinking about it every time you move. You stop feeling for it to make sure it's not falling out. You stop worrying about printing. That will come in time, but I would say carrying just once in a while isn't going to get you to the comfort zone.

As for rotating to all those different guns, I don't think that's a great idea either. In a high-stress situation, you may not have time to think about whether the gun you have on your belt has a safety or not. You may forget which controls are where. In the training classes I've had, they recommend minimizing carry rotation and practicing with your carry gun. Drawing from the holster, re-holstering, and, if you have a range that allows it (mine does), draw and fire from concealment.

Lastly, to re-emphasize what Certaindeaf said above - there is no such thing as a 'red' zone. Sure some areas may be perceived as more dangerous. But really, what do you consider 'red' zones? A school? Movie theater? Local mall? Restaurant? Office building? Church? Grocery store? Or are you simply thinking about some back alley downtown in the middle of the night? Violent crimes happen everywhere, not just in what we perceive are 'bad' places - including all the places I just listed. If it were true that we could really identify crime zones, we'd all avoid them, all the time. I think you need to rethink why and when you carry. If it's for self defense, then you need to wake up to the fact that violent crime can, and does happen anywhere and everywhere. And most likely, you'll not be expecting it when it does happen.

As a point of note, I was in a local hospital a few months ago. I was in the lobby waiting for someone when a scuffle started between security and a man that was obviously a little crazy. Then he pulled a weapon and things got crazy. There were people everywhere - we were ushered into a side room. The whole time, I'm kicking myself for having honored the 'no guns' policy at the hospital - and now, here I was, without my gun, at a time I may have needed it. Thankfully it got handled, but it reminded me that even in a place where I would have thought I was safe, bad things can and will happen.

I made the decision to carry everywhere that wasn't expressly prohibited by the law. It didn't take long before that feeling of awkwardness went away and I started instead to feel more secure, knowing I at least had an option if something did happen.

So, my recommendation: carry every day, everywhere you're allowed, train regularly with your carry gun(s) and minimize rotation of carry guns.

"It just occurred to me that the reason it feels awkward is because I carry concealed. I am hiding something. Hiding things to me has a connotation of impropriety..".
And hey, I'm not a psychologist or anything and we perhaps don't need to cloud your issue with philosophy or puritanism, but what people said in this thread is true.
Perhaps read The Art of War by Sun Tsu.. a well thought out and easy read from antiquity.
Much of life is war and simple concepts regarding allowing people simple knowledge of your business is often the wise thing to do and is addressed throughout the book.

I would like this and the other posts....BUT I cannot like them as our most recent interaction was Certaindeaf yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN"....I am still recovering from the hurt...However he is right. I used to alternate a lot and now it is normally just the same gun every day. I can switch between the 238 and LCR but I shoot them both a lot. I carry all day every day. I have learned from personal experience that the one time you forget your gun could be the last time you needed it.
Carry the same one all the time and it really does solve the comfort issue. Plus someone here told me once "a gun is comforting not comfortable". You really do end up forgetting it is there. Especially with your 238. An excellent gun for comfort but make sure you practice pulling back that hammer as you draw..or go cocked and locked as Jim said he does with his zipper down.

I would like this and the other posts....BUT I cannot like them as our most recent interaction was Certaindeaf yelling "GET OFF MY LAWN"....I am still recovering from the hurt...However he is right. I used to alternate a lot and now it is normally just the same gun every day. I can switch between the 238 and LCR but I shoot them both a lot. I carry all day every day. I have learned from personal experience that the one time you forget your gun could be the last time you needed it.
Carry the same one all the time and it really does solve the comfort issue. Plus someone here told me once "a gun is comforting not comfortable". You really do end up forgetting it is there. Especially with your 238. An excellent gun for comfort but make sure you practice pulling back that hammer as you draw..or go cocked and locked as Jim said he does with his zipper down.

You must of had a lot of coffee to start picking on people so early. Give me a few minutes and I will talk to certaindeaf to get you a hug about that lawn thing.:D

Stayed up late reloading and working on my stuff, got up late this morning. I love retired life.:D

Yeah I passed out on my recliner after deciding I would stay up to watch a movie.I think I saw the start of the credits. Looked like a good movie.
I would likely be up as early if retired. Just be out on the river fishing rather than telling my kids to get their butts ready. Nothing more annoying to kids than dad being wide awake first thing in the morning. I love it.

Got that whole "I am shaky but ready to rumble" feeling going on...Thought about talking to crazy Mathew about his revolution but I have not had that much coffee!

Forgive me as I am a crusty old construction worker but I won't talk to him until I have had a bowel movement to clear my mind:confused: Errr Can I Say THAT here?:D:D:eek:

Yeah I passed out on my recliner after deciding I would stay up to watch a movie.I think I saw the start of the credits. Looked like a good movie.
I would likely be up as early if retired. Just be out on the river fishing rather than telling my kids to get their butts ready. Nothing more annoying to kids than dad being wide awake first thing in the morning. I love it.

So with a name like boogerhook how could carrying a gun make you feel awkward, the name alone would make me want to grow hair on my face to hide.

Youngsters want to revolt yet have no idea where it will go, where is the George Washington to lead it or the founding fathers to control it? Nope the idiots just want to revolt.

Well hell isn't a revolt just started by shooting anyone you consider a threat??!! Oh no wait...That is just being a insane person.

Well hell isn't a revolt just started by shooting anyone you consider a threat??!! Oh no wait...That is just being a insane person.

Got to watch Furgustan and Baltimore burn their own neighborhoods down in a stupid revolt. Why is it idiots can't see what they are doing?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top