JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love the 7.62x39 round and like the premise of the ak but the ergos and lack of accuracy have so far have kept me away. Before the King insflea mag ban I did build an ar that takes ak mags and procured the proper standard freedom pill feeding devices. I still may own an ak at some point but for know I am an ar/fal kind of guy.
My 223 AK is a MOA gun.

An AK in 5.56 that takes STANAG mags would sway my vote to AK, but only because I'm so AR equipped already.
Yes most of us have. I thought like this. My grandpa had a 1911 from WW2. A SAA colt, 30-06 and various other firearms. Even he eventually bought a Glock, AR-15 and if the propaganda machine wouldn't have said that the AK was inaccurate etc (if he was still alive) would have bought an AK as well.

Many blame the 7.62x39 round for it's inherent lack of accuracy, especially cheaper steel cased, but I have found this to be not true in many cases. I have built several ar's in 7.62x39 that will shoot right around moa with many brands of ammo even wolf steel cased military classic. With reloads I have one that will shoot sub moa. If I could build or buy an Ak for a grand or less that would do this, I would be in. That is my conundrum. I know this level of accuracy is not required for the intended purpose of the cartridge and platform but having experienced the full potential of the cartridge It is hard to accept less.

If we're just talking about shooting up at a rock pit at less than 150 yards I'll take an AK it's just a more visceral experience

I also prefer my 9mm rifle/pistol doohickeys to use Glock mags. I don't see the problem in preferring to use what I already own on multiple platforms

Because it is the cheep and easy way out,

Stanag mags are for ARs and Glock mags are for Glocks.............................period

@rdb241

I would like to know when you bought an AR or AK did either one come stocked so deep in mags that you didn't have to invest any money into getting more? Let me know what company sells a rifle that includes all of the mags you need in the box. I don't think Glock pistols come stock with enough mags. Please point me in the right direction and help a guy out.

I mean buying a firearm is usually an investment I believe. I could be wrong though.

If there's no reason to invest in a different firearm then I guess @Andy54Hawken is the only one that is the closest to being correct in the rifles that he owns. And yeah @Andy54Hawken I'm just a little bit jealous. I have thought about getting into a black powder sweet rifle

@rdb241

I would like to know when you bought an AR or AK did either one come stocked so deep in mags that you didn't have to invest any money into getting more? Let me know what company sells a rifle that includes all of the mags you need in the box. I don't think Glock pistols come stock with enough mags. Please point me in the right direction and help a guy out.

I mean buying a firearm is usually an investment I believe. I could be wrong though.

If there's no reason to invest in a different firearm then I guess @Andy54Hawken is the only one that is the closest to being correct in the rifles that he owns. And yeah @Andy54Hawken I'm just a little bit jealous. I have thought about getting into a black powder sweet rifle
No when I bought what ever gun....I stepped up and bought the amount of mags I wanted. I did not buy any gun based on what mags it will accept. I stepped up and bought extra mags for my Glock as well. But I do not have an AR 9mm carbine based on mags. I went with the proven colt mags that don't look stupid coming out of the mag well at an angle. Looks silly. Even today with a 9mm conversion for an Isreali TAVOR uses the 9mm colt pattern and not Glock.

Last Edited:
No when I bought what ever gun....I stepped up and bought the amount of mags I wanted. I did not buy any gun based on what mags it will accept. I stepped up and bought extra mags for my Glock as well. But I do not have an AR 9mm carbine based on mags. I went with the proven colt mags that don't look stupid coming out of the nag well at an angle. Looks silly. Even today with a 9mm conversion for an Isreali TAVOR uses the 9mm colt pattern and not Glock.
Dang it I thought there was a secret that I missed. I had to spend my money as well! That's a travesty! :D

I love all my guns EQUALLY!

*tiptoes over and closes the door so they can't hear*

*whispers* I'm an AR guy. But please don't tell my AK that. She's very sensitive and I don't want to hurt her feelings.
(Insert black faced little toddler with folded arms pouting)
No when I bought what ever gun....I stepped up and bought the amount of mags I wanted. I did not buy any gun based on what mags it will accept. I stepped up and bought extra mags for my Glock as well. But I do not have an AR 9mm carbine based on mags. I went with the proven colt mags that don't look stupid coming out of the mag well at an angle. Looks silly. Even today with a 9mm conversion for an Isreali TAVOR uses the 9mm colt pattern and not Glock.
I usually just try and stick with what's the most common accepted platform that everyone is buying. Same with cars and other stuff. When stuff breaks a want parts-o-plenty (and cheap too!)
Pretty widely undisputed that arguably the best thing glock did was their mags. Probably the biggest reason their known for being such a reliable platform.
Personally I'm not into the whole PCC scene, I would love to get a .357 lever gun though. About as close as I come is wanting a vector but even then its not really for utility, I just think they are neat I think I'd still prefer to have a primary weapon in a rifle caliber when the rubber meets the road.

Seems like an odd thing to do given so many good 223 mags on the market
I have plenty of beryl mags. Both the green and the old black ones. All my circle 10 smoke mags cracked.
I also prefer my 9mm rifle/pistol doohickeys to use Glock mags. I don't see the problem in preferring to use what I already own on multiple platforms
I never followed this line of thinking. Would have kept me from owning different guns. FALs and AR-10s don't share mags, AKs and ARs don't share mags, regular AUGs don't share mags with ARs, etc.

I like different guns and if they have different mags then oh well. Its just a cost of owning said gun from my perspective.

I have plenty of beryl mags. Both the green and the old black ones. All my circle 10 smoke mags cracked.

I never followed this line of thinking. Would have kept me from owning different guns. FALs and AR-10s don't share mags, AKs and ARs don't share mags, regular AUGs don't share mags with ARs, etc.

I like different guns and if they have different mags then oh well. Its just a cost of owning said gun from my perspective.
Well yeah. But if given a choice and they work well. Heck yeah I'd want everything to be cross compatible. Especially once you get thousands and thousands of dollars worth of mags. Especially if its just a couple HK mags! ;)
Yeah if I want it a mag is the least of my concerns. Price if ammo makes mag cost barely an afterthought.

Eh, just thought that mags being the deal breaker was weird. Especially when some of the folks who say it will be buying mags for their AKs and their ARs. If all they had were ARs and Glocks might make sense.

There's a TON of good & cheap mags out there (at least there used to be..) But I do grow tired of the $50-$200 mags and do lean a bit towards stuff with cross compatibility.
Example is the g26. I think it is a excellent choice for a concealed carry specifically because of the cross mag compatibility with all the other std double stack mags they make. It bumps out almost every other single pistol because of this IMO.
I'd still get like a 365 or similar if it was significantly better, but my first choice would probably be to expand slightly on the inventory I already got.

I understand the desire, but my go to guns have a lot of mags. Anything else is just for fun and I only need so many mags for that.

Some older guns using mags that are over $100? I shoot them so little I maybe need 4 at mags.

I understand the desire, but my go to guns have a lot of mags. Anything else is just for fun and I only need so many mags for that.

Some older guns using mags that are over $100? I shoot them so little I maybe need 4 at mags.
Same here… I had a Barrett 50 and 5 mags which for those that don't know the mags are about $115 depending on stock availability etc… I have people that say get a Bakelite for your AK or you don't have a collection… why? Because I don't want to spend $150-250 for a single mag? Man take that dumb stuff down the street. How about the fact you can buy an H&K 416 and then pay $65 for their plastic mags. No thanks.

Even $45 was kind of stiff for me when I bought my scar mags but then I thought "well crap I spent $3k on the rifle!" That argument I lost. But there's a reason why I don't have 20 of those mags.

Paid $40 for this mag. Timing is everything....

PXL_20220731_031939805.MP.jpg

Same here… I had a Barrett 50 and 5 mags which for those that don't know the mags are about $115 depending on stock availability etc… I have people that say get a Bakelite for your AK or you don't have a collection… why? Because I don't want to spend $150-250 for a single mag? Man take that dumb stuff down the street. How about the fact you can buy an H&K 416 and then pay $65 for their plastic mags. No thanks.

Even $45 was kind of stiff for me when I bought my scar mags but then I thought "well crap I spent $3k on the rifle!" That argument I lost. But there's a reason why I don't have 20 of those mags.
I got a few bakes. But I don't shoot 5.45 much, just 5.56 so plenty of beryl mags.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews