JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
First and foremost, condolences to those who suddenly and needlessly lost loved ones, as well as those impacted by injuries.

How is shooting your AR in your front yard, in a subdivision not an unlawful act? Seriously, most jurisdictions have laws against discharging firearms within the confines of said jurisdiction…. Not to mention most subdivisions have enforceable covenants…

Sad all the way around…

Just by the news report, ABC News seems to imply this is all illegal immigrants. I am probably wrong on that but the story makes me wonder. Long read....

Sounds like the perpetrator was a Mexican national and the victims were Honduran nationals. No idea if they were legally in the country. If not, the current administration shares some blame.

Could have just as easily said he brought his rifle out front to shoot into the yard but had to very specifically slide 'AR-15' I to his answers.
And maybe that is the way the story would have been told, if it didn't end with a mass shooting.

Do non-citizens have different rights when it comes to shooting in the yard?
No I suspect its NOT legal for anyone to do this. That he was not a US citizen makes me wonder if he even had the rifle legally. If he had a Green Card he can, as far as I know, legally buy and posses here. That he was blasting away next to other homes, which has to be against the law there I can't believe the local law just chose to ignore this. Makes me wonder if the reason they were letting this go was because he was someone they were afraid to confront. I VERY much doubt that if I owned one of those homes and was known to be in my yard setting off rounds from my AR that they would not have been at my house taking the gun.

No I suspect its NOT legal for anyone to do this. That he was not a US citizen makes me wonder if he even had the rifle legally. If he had a Green Card he can, as far as I know, legally buy and posses here. That he was blasting away next to other homes, which has to be against the law there I can't believe the local law just chose to ignore this. Makes me wonder if the reason they were letting this go was because he was someone they were afraid to confront. I VERY much doubt that if I owned one of those homes and was known to be in my yard setting off rounds from my AR that they would not have been at my house taking the gun.
You don't need a green card.

There is no general law about shooting in your yard. Those are usually municipal laws, and don't apply to those living in unincorporated areas.

So while folks might disapprove of an immigrant shooting near other people at night, that was likely his "right" to do so.

So LE probably didn't have anything more than a noise complaint against him - until the mass murder. "Why didn't someone DO something!?" Because bad behavior with a firearm does not have any downsides.

You don't need a green card.

There is no general law about shooting in your yard. Those are usually municipal laws, and don't apply to those living in unincorporated areas.

So while folks might disapprove of an immigrant shooting near other people at night, that was likely his "right" to do so.

So LE probably didn't have anything more than a noise complaint against him - until the mass murder. "Why didn't someone DO something!?" Because bad behavior with a firearm does not have any downsides.
You have seen a local that allows you to shoot next to other homes? Where? I have never seen this in my lifetime.

Thats not necesarily true. There are two types of community laws regarding shooting, city limits and urban growth limits. The latter is not dictated by any city.... I live in an unincorporated area, there are no community laws on me shooting guns in my yard, but there is a county and or state ordinance against shooting inside urban growth boundaries... which is a different boundary than communities and towns etc.
I might guess there is a federal law about this maybe, at least on endangering others I know its illegal to shoot on federal lands within a certain distance of dwellings and on or across trails or roads.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews