JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Storytime. Got a nice new bow from my son for Christmas. Magnificent piece of manufacturing. We went to Cabelas to get it fitted/sized whatever that's currently called (for free if you exclude all the crap I bought while we were there LOL). Wandering around the store and waiting for them, my son mentioned that the mere ownership of a bow made him reflective that it would be very useful in a SHTF situation. As we hadn't discussed such a thing (he moved out of state for work after college years back when he grew up) my ears perked right up. Anyway, I use to do archery and in fact took my boy out when he was just a little kid with a Martin Youth bow. I'd given my set up to an old army buddy who wanted to take an Elk, but often thought that there is no more silent way to get game inner city than archery. Silencers on guns are not as silent as movies would have you believe.

Here's the part that shocked me. Before bows became super efficient with cams etc, I could pull 65 lbs. Easy. His was set at 65 and there was no way I could pull it once. He fired over 100 arrows out at the Tri-County archery range, and he nailed what he was aiming at cause he'd clearly been practicing with his, but I didn't get his pulled back once. I have my bow set of an embarrassing low 30 lbs. He's gifted 5 arrows with the bow and I did 3 sets...15 shots say. Then burned out. Maxed out at 15:) So this is a brief note that if you haven't shot your bow for a while, might do so so as to be in fair practice in case of an emergency. If the SHTF I'm going to be getting squirrels and birds (etc) to supplement whatever else I can scrounge.

So my son and I seem to have switched roles and he's grinding on me to practice practice practice. Wanted me to set up a range i my backyard. I told him: "I doubt that would be legal in the city limits". So the kid called police and after some digging got someone to discuss it with. Turns out it is not Illegal at all. Lots of other things are, and I listened in on that conversation too. I'm still not comfortable doing it, but I'll need to do some practice or get shamed the next time kids around and I can only pull my 15 arrows at 30 lbs draw.

Do any of you have bows stashed for a SHTF situation? Where do you practice?

yeah back in my late teens/ early 20s i would pull back 70lbs at a 29" draw no problem on my martin c4 cougar compound bow. i shot gold tip xt hunters 5575 with a 400 spine. total weight of arrow including 100gr broadhead/field tip is around 396grains. that martin was a 2007 model year... it shot those arrows 280fps. paper tune was perfect.

i now shoot a 2009 or 2010 bowtech admiral with the same arrow... at 60lbs and a 29" draw, it shoots them at 304fps and papertunes PERFECT. anything over 60lbs and its too much energy for those arrows with that bow.

i practice on private land. my sight(spot hogg "tommy hogg") goes from 20yrd all the way up to 130yrd.

100+ yards is a lot of fun with a bow.

aim small miss small my friend!

i fletch all my own arrows, i keep a dozen arrows strictly for hunting, a dozen for practice and i like to keep a dozen or so "AMF" arrows with judo tips for messin around that i dont care so much about hence "AMF". some of them have regular fletching and some have feathers for a super slow arrow.

DSC06040.jpg
58# Osage longbow.
I practice in my back yard and while roaming old logging roads...shooting at the old cedar stumps.
My ranges are 25 yards to 100 yards.
( anything over 25-30 is just for fun , not hunting )
Andy

View attachment 418141
58# Osage longbow.
I practice in my back yard and while roaming old logging roads...shooting at the old cedar stumps.
My ranges are 25 yards to 100 yards.
( anything over 25-30 is just for fun , not hunting )
Andy
andy, when i see your setup i cant help but think of the song "indian outlaw" and think of this verse:

"I can kill a deer or buffalo
With just my arrow and my hickory bow
From a hundred yards don't you know
I do it all the time"

i believe a recurve is the way to go in a SHTF situation. unlimited options for arrows, low maintenance and you can make string from the sinue of the animal you kill with your bow if you have to

Nice I'll have to look up that song...at one time when I was practicing a whole lot more than what I do now...I got good at pegging a 2 liter soda bottle at 75 yards fairly regularly ...
But as stated in the OP...Practice and more practice is key in developing and keeping up on your archery skills.
Andy
andy, when i see your setup i cant help but think of the song "indian outlaw" and think of this verse:

"I can kill a deer or buffalo
With just my arrow and my hickory bow
From a hundred yards don't you know
I do it all the time"

Nice I'll have to look up that song...at one time when I was practicing a whole lot more than what I do now...I got good a pegging a 2 liter soda bottle at 75 yards fairly regularly ...
But as stated in the OP...Practice and more practice is key in developing and keeping up on your archery skills.
Andy
EHHH its by tim mcgraw... the fake country artist gun grabber so dont feel too bad if you dont hear it. i like archery. i want to get a recurve. i like instinctively shooting.

Hah! I competed with a Whitetail Hunter compound at Archer's Afield when I was just a wee lad. 17 years old with a POS bow and took 2nd place out of 40.

60 pound draw if I remember. Lousy pin "sights".

"The sun even shines on a dog's arse somedays"

I still own and shoot a Bear Kodiak Recurve, 62#, bought new in the Spring of 1972. I also currently own a 2015 Elite Synergy 60# limbs maxed to their 62# limit which is what I bowhunt and target shoot with. Rotator cuff and multiple biceps tear surgeries required me going down from 70#limbs to my current and probably permanent 60#. But that's still enough for an elk and so exercise and keep shooting your Christmas bow, and you will be at 60# soon enough.

And finally in answer to the post, multiple compound bows preceded my Elite, but I have only needed the one recurve. So my choice will be the recurve if I can only take one.

I've got a Sammick Sports Sage recurve takedown bow. Got it last year with some BD money. Took a class at Archer's Afield to get started. It's a nice starting bow - set it up with 35# limbs while learning, can replace limbs up to 60# later. Practice can be done at home (up to 30 yards) or at the range - over 60 yards.

Looking to set up a better, more permanent backstop this year as the daughter is interested in bows herself.

984.jpg

Samick-Sage-Takedown-Recurve-Bow.jpg

i believe a recurve is the way to go in a SHTF situation. unlimited options for arrows, low maintenance and you can make string from the sinue of the animal you kill with your bow if you have to

Yuppers. Try making a compound bow from stuff lying around the woods....whittling them cams might be a job too far, let alone melting down all that stuff to make carbon limbs.

tac

Whinemeal, for anybody interested in the real thing, lumpy limbs and all, there is a guy to be found most weekends in the Portland Saturday market who makes traditional self bows in the old style.

tac

Nothing beats the stealth and almost certain one shot and down power of a bow at 10-40 yds in practiced hands, when shot at a stationary target. It also won't ruin your hearing in close quarters! Two big problems; bad guys don't always stand still, and follow up shots will leave you vulnerable for several seconds for a second shot, not good if facing a bad guy with a gun. I love my bows, still hunt Deer and Elk (no bear yet), but like any tool you have to pick the best one for the job at hand. Don't have a suppressor yet, but that would be my first choice on a favorite host for home defense. World War Z situation with a band of archers from concealed positions is a fantasy. That said, I have one ready!
3 Golden Eagle compounds, #45, #50-60, #70-unpullable
Ben Pearson Cougar recurve
Ben Pearson Javelina recurve
Fred Bear Black Bear recurve
Fred Bear 66" #55 long bow circa 1949 or so (All Shoot!)
Not much recoil for a 1 1/4" full penetration hole through clothing!
Lot to be said for a 9mm, .40, .45 or a tried and true .357 though

The Range at Chinook Landing is a pretty good set up, 10-60yards (when not flooded out!) not usually too busy except right before archery season. I love lead therapy, but there is nothing like the "Zen" of archery on a crisp morning for me.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top