JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have any of y'all tried one of these, or something similar? I'm intrigued...

How well did/does it work?
Was it worth the money?
Do you still use it, or was it just a novelty for ya?
Basic questions to ask before I drop $200 (after tax + S&H), that's all...

Not advised, as the gas system will eventually get clogged with 22 Rimfire lead projecticles. The AR system was not designed for lead bullets.

Look for a dedicated 22 Rimfire AR such as the S&W M&P 15-22 or other 22 Rimfire dedicated models that have a blow back recoil action, instead of a gas system.

Not advised, as the gas system will eventually get clogged with 22 Rimfire lead projecticles. The AR system was not designed for lead bullets.

Look for a dedicated 22 Rimfire AR such as the S&W M&P 15-22 or other 22 Rimfire dedicated models that have a blow back recoil action, instead of a gas system.
This.

Though, I suppose you'd be good with the cmmg conversion built to a dedicated .22lr upper.

I tried one and it definitely functioned but accuracy was not great, which for me was why I got rid of it. For occasional use or a shtf tool to make your ar into a quieter small game getter they would be fine. I ended up building a dedicated 22lr upper which works great and is quite accurate due to proper bore diameter and twist rate of the barrel.

Thank you all.
I did not think about the gas system getting plugged up, lead fouling or proper bore and twist.
That was the info I needed. Don't think I'll take the bait...

Most AR barrels are 1/7-1/9. Most 22 rifle barrels are 1/16. The AR with a regular barrel with the adapter usually equates to per poor accuracy. That combined with the gas port issues mentioned already, I don't recommend them.

Bear Creek Arsenal has a complete 22 upper that is supposedly pretty decent for $300.

Have any of y'all tried one of these, or something similar? I'm intrigued...

How well did/does it work?
Was it worth the money?
Do you still use it, or was it just a novelty for ya?
Basic questions to ask before I drop $200 (after tax + S&H), that's all...
I had one and it was crap. No two rounds ever landed in the same place. Not worth half the money.

You can get the S&W AR/22 for about $400 delivered before transfer fee,

Used a little less but usually not much. My dad has one and they are pretty good, I pull it out of his safe occasionally, and also my step son loves shooting it. They really are the way to go despite the extra $200 it will cost you. I was actually looking into the CMMG kit so I could train with the same gun/optics, but it's just not worth it in the long run.

Have any of y'all tried one of these, or something similar? I'm intrigued
My sons and I have run a couple of them for about 5yrs or so now reliably and without issue. Fun stuff! I have no idea of what our respective round counts are, but well into the multiple 1000's.

That said, we only use CCI mini mag or equivalent ammo. No bare lead. Although more accurate than I initially expected, it's obviously not as accurate as a dedicated .22 barrel. We only run them in our "plinker" AR builds as well that by nature are not as accurate as our higher end builds to begin with. The fear of possibly fouling our rifles is much less though.

To put it in perspective, we've done some varmit hunting with them and they are what I would say is, "accuate enough" for success, but you're not going to win any target matches.

Fun factor for cheap plinking, weapon familiarity and training purposes I think it was money well spent and don't regret it. (The "youngers" in the family also get a real kick out of shooting a full sized AR they can actually handle... so there's that, too.) On top of the intangible benefits list would be... considering current ammo availability and cost... it's much easier to make more frequent shooting trips up the mountain when you know you can still have some good fun and it's not going to cost you an arm and a leg or cut too deeply into your current ammo stock.

Cost? The kits we bought were on a special promo deal and only around $125 with 3 mags.

Would I buy another one today for $200+ and only 1 mag? That's getting a little steep and more into the price range of a low cost dedicated .22 rifle. On the other hand, considering the less tangible benefits and for our intents and purposes... if I was confident I was getting a good deal based on current market prices, I probably would.

Last Edited:
I have one of these kits in a dedicated .22 ar upper. The difference between running it in a normal ar upper is the collar that sets the bcg into the chamber . If you want to run this in a dedicated 22 upper you need a little collar that serves as a feed ramp and replaces the .223 sized cartridge thing at the end of the bcg as is. I like it alot, but I did have to smooth down a little ledge on the collar to make it feed reliably with various ammo. That being said I can just switch it back and pop it into my 556 upper, which is nice if I only wanna bring one upper. As as far as the gas tube issue, if you fire a few rounds of 556 through the gun after you put your 556 bcg back in the gas will blow the crud out, preventing it from accumulating. And really all you need to make a dedicated. 22 upper is the barrel with the 1 in 16 twist rate. Mine was assembled by a member here and runs great.

I was actually looking into the CMMG kit so I could train with the same gun/optics, but it's just not worth it in the long run.
That was my reason for asking. I think I might just pay the extra money and get a dedicated .22LR in the AR pattern.

I have them, I like them, but I also don't use them expecting 10/22 level accuracy out of an AR the twist is off and the diameter is off.

I only use plated .22 bullets, not bare lead. They advise running some .223 through it afterward to blownout any gunk from the gas tube that may have gotten in there.

They work great in my experience and they give you the option to train on the cheap. I had my wife learn AR use with one. The chamber gets really dirty because it is just a blow back system but nothing cleaning doesn't fix. The training is limited though because the bolt doesn't stay open when you release the mag and the accuracy isn't good for anything but minute of pie plate.

I started with the conversion kit and shot it a few times in speed steel. Ended up eventually building a much lighter 16" AR-22 using the kit, a collar adapter, and an actual .22 barrel. Was so much fun, I built a second AR-22 using a kit, but this one with a 8.5" barrel that works well suppressed.

It was fun with my regular AR but wasn't going to win any bullseye contests with it. With .22 barrels and complete uppers available at a lower price now that a few years ago, think I'd go that route today. Either that or the M&P. Can't go wrong with a 10-22 either.

Keep in mind, like most other easily customizable guns, you'll be going down a rabbit hole with improvements. Not a bad thing, just plan on adding more "stuff" down the road.

I bought one when the slide fire stock first came out. It was fun, worked reliably enough and with plated bullets, didn't clog up anything. Accuracy in the 1/9 16in barrel was decent. Mini mags were printing a 3-4in group at 50 yards or so. I'd probably grab a dedicated upper if I were to get another hankering for a .22lr Ar.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top