JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With the injunctions... and if you are a member of one of those organizations then you can still have your brace on your pistol... without a tax stamp. Just as before.

There is a bit of a caveat there too though with owning a pistol and owning a brace. Simple possession isn't necessarily "constructive possession", but... say you keep them both in the same drawer/bag or secured in your trunk together... such that it's reasonable to assume your intent is to use "that" brace on "that" pistol it may still be considered constructive possession. The key there really seems to be what a LE official might consider "reasonable intent".

You can overthink yourself scared, but the reality is more likely that If the alphabet is knocking on your door with a search warrant, you have a lot more to worry about than a simple constructive possession charge. Keep your nose clean and it's more likely to remain a non-issue. YMMV
THIS! Many seem to almost fantasize about them coming to the door to get them. That does not happen and will not happen. When the boys come to the door something else brought them. Now if you have something that is currently not "OK" and they come? Yes they can and have used that to put another charge on. For those who keep stuff they know they should not have a couple things they should not do. One post pictures of them smiling with the stuff in hand, another ever use it for a defensive shoot.

Note to the OP: 'Other' doesn't have to be stripped. Also, uppers can be delivered to your door. Its up to you to make sure it conforms to all applicable laws.
Thanks, I knew that only the lower is considered the firearm. If I bought a factory assembled lower, wouldn't it already be designated as pistol or rifle from the factory?

And in the bound book of the FFL that transferred it to you. It might be based on whether it had a rifle or pistol buffer tube on it.
Okay, but the official designation couldn't change from rifle to pistol for the lower right? For instance, if Anderson sold an AR rifle to an FFL, and the FFL that the rifle was sold to decided to strip it down; they couldn't then mark the lower as an "other" or "pistol" right?

Okay, but the official designation couldn't change from rifle to pistol for the lower right? For instance, if Anderson sold an AR rifle to an FFL, and the FFL that the rifle was sold to decided to strip it down; they couldn't then mark the lower as an "other" or "pistol" right?
Pretty sure even an FFL can't shorten a rifle.

Thanks, I knew that only the lower is considered the firearm. If I bought a factory assembled lower, wouldn't it already be designated as pistol or rifle from the factory?
No. A lower by itself is simply an "other". To mean.... an assembled lower receiver... only... containing all the internals = "factory assembled lower" (vs. complete factory lower assembly)
And in the bound book of the FFL that transferred it to you. It might be based on whether it had a rifle or pistol buffer tube on it.
That's a different animal than a "receiver", thought. That would be a complete preconfigured lower. Constructed by the mfg with a pistol buffer tube intended as a pistol... then it would transfer as a pistol. A "rifle" buffer tube does not "technically" exist. It may be intended by the mfg as a "rifle" and transfer as a "rifle", but it can also be mfg'ed as an "other" and transfer as an "other".

The alphabet is big on "intent" and how it's advertised and marketed.

If a person's intent is to maintain their lower as an "other"... it's certainly in their best interest to buy it as, clearly, an "other".
That's a rabbit hole..... 🤣 Yes, no and sometimes.:s0140:

But since you're not an FFL (I don't think) it's kind of a moot issue. The only thing you need to be concerned with is your personal purchase and how it is recorded at the time of transfer. The legal burden/consequences to keep all that sorted is not on you.

No. A lower by itself is simply an "other". To mean.... an assembled lower receiver... only... containing all the internals = "factory assembled lower" (vs. complete factory lower assembly)

That's a different animal than a "receiver", thought. That would be a complete preconfigured lower. Constructed by the mfg with a pistol buffer tube intended as a pistol... then it would transfer as a pistol. A "rifle" buffer tube does not "technically" exist. It may be intended by the mfg as a "rifle" and transfer as a "rifle", but it can also be mfg'ed as an "other" and transfer as an "other".

The alphabet is big on "intent" and how it's advertised and marketed.

If a person's intent is to maintain their lower as an "other"... it's certainly in their best interest to buy it as, clearly, an "other".

That's a rabbit hole..... 🤣 Yes, no and sometimes.:s0140:

But since you're not an FFL (I don't think) it's kind of a moot issue. The only thing you need to be concerned with is your personal purchase and how it is recorded at the time of transfer. The legal burden/consequences to keep all that sorted is not on you.
Thanks, what I meant by the lower is the firearm is that it's the part that requires a BGC. The other components can all be transferred uninhibited (at least for now in Oregon, idk about anywhere else). Guess mags will likely have a problem soon... Hopefully not.
I know it's a rabbit hole. Been in deep! Haha You should see my other post about owning pistol uppers while only owning an assembled rifle. Started getting into "how much" of an AR pistol would someone need to own before being in "constructive possession of an SBR". My understanding is that if there is a legal configuration available, then illegality can't be proven. However, would possessing a stripped "other" or pistol receiver be enough to justify owning the pistol upper?
No I'm not worried about any of this, mostly just learning and having fun with hypotheticals. Pretty sure there's no reason for ABC to visit, and certainly not for something like that.

I it's any indication, when Colt ships an assembled lower even with a rifle tube and stock they mark Other--it's not a complete firearm yet only a major component of one.

Seems like this comes up daily at Arfcom and M4C... personally I make it a rule to ALWAYS assemble my lowers as pistol first and always keep at least one assembled lower in pistol configuration.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top