JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted one for a very long time...and finally found one in .22LR / 20 gauge..
It shot well....and handled well at the range or shooting pit.

When hunting with it...I found it awkward to carry and point...as well as disliking the barrel selector.
( it was also awkward , being found on the hammer )

I love the idea of a .22LR / 20 gauge combo gun...Just not happy with it in actual hunting use.
Traded it off...
Other folks however love 'em...and they don't come up for sale often.
Andy

Last Edited:
I've always wanted one in 22wmr/20ga. I don't know what I would do with it but I want it

I wanted one for a very long time...and finally found one in .22LR / 20 gauge..
It shot well....and handled well at the range or shooting pit.

When hunting with it...I found it awkward to carry and point...as well as disliking the barrel selector.
( it was also awkward , being found on the hammer )

I love the idea of a .22LR / 20 gauge combo gun...Just not happy with it in actual hunting use.
Traded it off...
Other folks however love 'em...and they don't cone for sale often.
Andy
Thanks for your insight.
Yes, I found the hammer spur odd. Plus, the iron v notch rear sight on it seems much slower to acquire sight picture than some more open buckhorns.

I've always wanted one too, but seems impractical once holding it. Still liking the idea of it, though.

A large notch V similar to those found on some English Express Rifles ...would be nice for quick close range shooting...
With either barrel.
The stock sight...is fine for a .22 rifle...but not so good for shotgun use.
Andy

I've owned one and shot others. Although nothing is a free ride, they work as intended.

Back when I used to do much more varmint hunting, my 24 in .223/12 ga was extremely useful in controlling rockchucks, squirrels and jackrabbits,

In later years, a 24 in .22LR/20 ga has supplied a lot of grouse for camp.

They are what they are, and some folks may think the hammer mounted selector is disadvantageous, but some things in life just may take an extra step. Years back, we actually had to manually lock the doors on our vehicles. We thought nothing of this extra step, we were proficient at it, and we survived. :D

1676923696880.jpeg

This Savage Model 24DL was purchased new by my Dad in 1965 in anticipation for his upcoming Remote Duty assignment in Alaska with the Air Force. It has been in every single hunting camp of our family every year since. Truly a "Mice to Moose" firearm, this one has actually taken two Moose. Upper barrel is .22 WMR (.22 Magnum). Bottom barrel is 3" 20ga. Full Choke. Note the forward-most 20ga cartridge in the butt-carrier is black-marked as a slug (but both Moose were killed with the .22 Mag).
Also note that this model is early enough that the rifle barrel is actually welded to the thick-walled shotgun barrel full length. This grants fat-barrel target accuracy to the rifle. Later models for economical reasons experimented with barrel bands, welded only at a point forward, etc.

This gun has seen long days afield as a primary upland bird gun as well. It comes up fast and the stock does not seem to be a compromise at all. The rear peep is a Redfield (no longer made), and it was sold with a pedestal to install under the front sight for elevation compatibility. Aperture is removed when upland bird hunting (results in a "ghost-ring").

Since my first encounter with this Model 24 at the age of 10, I have always admired them and over the years collected a few.

1676925646579.jpeg
From top to bottom:
Model 24V. Caliber .30-30 WCF/20ga. Barrel band forward. Travel case fitted to include a Leupold FXII 2.5x Ultralight scope in QRW rings, and ammunition for both barrels. In this box it is called, "The Clarinet".
Model 24B. Caliber .22 Long Rifle/.410. Early model with barrel selector disk on side of receiver. Barrels welded full contact.
Model 24 Series M. Caliber .22 Long Rifle/20ga. Barrels attached forward with a steel band machined to include the front sight.
Model 24V. Caliber .357 Magnum/20ga. Weaver K2.5.
Model 24V Caliber .222 Remington/20ga. Weaver K3. These two "V" models have a small brick of steel welded between the barrels forward.

Your interest in the 24 is well-founded. They truly are "two guns in one", and each is entirely capable of filling those two roles fully. Decent ones (few and far between: these were workhorse guns, rarely treated with kid gloves) are skyrocketing in price, testifying to their appeal.

I had one for many years, that lived behind the seat of my Ford Ranger pickup. It was a .22LR over .410 and had the barrel selector on the hammer spur. My understanding was that it was less problem-prone than the models where the barrel selector was a button on the side of the receiver. I lived in Idaho at the time and loved to explore the back roads of southern Idaho, eastern Oregon, and northern Nevada. Just seemed like it would be the absolute perfect "knock-about" firearm to have in the vehicle, along with a 30 cal. ammo can of .410 shells and .22s. It was typical Savage, somewhat crude but fully functional. Trigger had to be a 25 - 30 pound pull weight. Accuracy with the .22 barrel was just "OK", and the .410 barrel must have had zero choke, because that pattern would spread QUICK. I mean, a very short range proposition.
Well, I played with it alot when I first got it. I don't remember ever actually killing anything with it. Certainly not with the shotgun barrel. Between the rifle sights being in the way, the hard trigger pull, and the less than ideal shape and length of the stock, I can't imagine anyone ever actually successfully swinging on an airborne quail with one!
Like I said, I had one in my truck full time for alot of years. But after the initial novelty wore off, I would go literally years at a time without firing it. I always carried along a .357 revolver on those trips, for a long time a Ruger Speed Six, that was just infinitely more fun to shoot. And infinitely more practical, too - no matter how you figured it.
When I first picked it up, which I'm sure was for under $100, you couldn't walk into a pawn shop and not see one or two. Usually in the .22/.410 configuration. Sometimes .22/20 gauge. Hardly ever with a center fire upper (rifle) barrel. Anyway, I sold/traded it at some point in the past, and don't miss it really. Cool idea, but it can't really do anything a nice revolver can't do better.

Responses here are typical toward the Model 24, and have a lot to do with the character of the gun itself. Very few people think of it as a primary hunting gun, leaning more toward "incidental use" ("got one in the truck", "just in case", "camp gun", etc.). As such, many people who own one or have owned one, haven't spent much time actually carrying one on purpose on a regular basis for hunting. Hence the lukewarm reactions (some of which are seen here).

Heavy? Not at all (until you go strapping scopes, slings and cartridge carriers on 'em). Then they approach the weight of a bolt-action deer rifle (but you've got a shotgun on your arm too.)

Heavy trigger? Early ones no. Later ones yes (but it's the simplest sear/hammer engagement and even a caveman can fix it).

Accuracy? Stellar on the early full-weld barrels. Scary accurate. Secret with the "open air" barrels is not to heat 'em up. Shot cold with each shot (as would be done in the field), it's still a good ol' Savage barrel and will pleasantly surprise.

Barrel Selector: Have I ever made the mistake of expecting a different projectile/noise/recoil when I pulled the trigger? YEP! Every single time it was when I'd picked up the gun in a hurry after an extended period of no usage. Never made the mistake when hunting with it or when using the gun regularly. Barrel selection is accomplished quickly, easily and without looking. It's all about familiarity.

In the .30-30, the hunter has the option to load "pointy" and "modern" bullets not usually associated with the Winchester round in a '94. A 150gr Ballistic Tip or Partition out of a 24" barrel turns the "thutty-thutty" into a whole different animal.

A 20ga slug from a 3" chamber answers a lot of questions about stopping power.

...all this and enough ammo for a week-long multiple-species hunt fits in a Clarinet case. :cool:

Hey, Spitpatch - Outstanding collection. Yeah, I'm definitely in the "incidental use" category. But don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not "down" on the Savage 24 at all. Mine never had a mechanical problem or failure of any kind. As a matter of fact, I don't think you could break one if you tried!

The Savage 24 in .22LR over 20ga was the first firearm that my Father bought for his sons. As luck would have it, my Brother didn't enjoy wandering in the wilderness and we were surrounded by it.

I would carry the Savage in hand, and an Eagle Claw Pack Rod across my back on the my way to fish the crEEK (or crICK). :) On a good day, I could get a small fire going and have a fowl (not foul) snack while waiting for the fish to bite.

I didn't have a bird dog...or at least a dog that would share the bird. I had to move fast to secure the grouse, or my hunting partner would eat it on the spot. She was a good dog, just not the best grouse hunting partner.

Being preteen, the weight of the Savage was an issue on the trip home. It was heavier, for some reason, on the steep inclines. :D I loved packing it and got to a point that I was hitting most of the neck and head shots with the .22LR. It was nice to have the 20ga as a backup...but that little selector on the hammer was rough on the thumb.

I hope You enjoy your Savage 24 as much as I enjoyed mine and I hope that your dog/cat/goldfish is a better hunting partner than my dog was...pretty sure it would be... :oops:
Here is my Model 24 story from a past thread. Miss the gun, miss the dog, but most of all... I miss the experience.

1968: Dad and I, with our neighbor and his son were Elk hunting near Benchmark, Montana and we cut a significant Elk trail in the quickly melting snow. The pace quickened as the distance from the truck increased. It became evident to Dad that the youngsters were gradually becoming a drag on progress, and he re-oriented us to familiar ridgetops and sent us back to wait at the rig while he and Dale continued.

On the long hike back to the rig, my .30-40 Krag became heavier and heavier, but the burden was lifted every ten minutes or so by the sighting of multiple Snowshoe Rabbits: pure white against a backdrop of deep timber with only patches of snow remaining. It was like someone scattered wads of white paper towels in the woods. I considered head-shooting one or two with the Krag, but in an unusual fit of sensibility for a 13 year-old, thought better of it as a disturbance to the elk hunt.

Two hours later, my young friend and I were back at the truck, warmed up, ate a sandwich, and another Snowshoe hopped out of the brush near the truck; a veritable neon light of white against the dark green backdrop. I grabbed the ever-present 24.

When I exited the truck, the rabbit froze (their primary defense: and if brown in color in Summer, very effective). As it was, he was a dry-land "sitting duck". I popped him in the head, retrieved him and while cleaning him asked my buddy if he was ready for another walk.

We spent the next two or three hours walking that timber with the Savage, trading off, and "shoot till you miss". Bumped into Ruffed Grouse a couple times, and the 20ga saw work. (At this point my reservations toward disturbing Dad had vanished in juvenile blood lust). We only started back when our ammunition supply waned.

Dad and Dale eventually returned to the truck. The Elk herd had only granted them a cross-canyon glimpse, and both men were exhausted and disappointed. We two boys were popping buttons out of our shirts when we showed them our healthy bag for the day. It was not only enough for a feast back at camp, but a significant amount of food for meals at home.

My buddy and I have hunted together every year since that childhood event, and we tell that story over and over (it is one of the few that require no embellishment regarding success).

And most often when Dad's 24 comes out once again to deal with whatever comes along.

1676987021380.png

I had a 24C with the Lyman peep that shot 20 ga slugs like a rifle. It was handy but sold off to help fund something exciting.

I bought a 24 about 25+ years ago in .223/20 3" mod choke. It has a composite stock and matte finish. I call it the pig or the ugly stick because it is not pretty and it got a rattle can camo job. Length of pull seems stoooopid long but I haven't chopped it yet.

I had A E Nelson make me a buttcuff with 5 x 223 and 20 ga loops.

I have taken a LOT of game with it. Deer, grouse, rabbit, crow, coyote, squirrel to name a few.

I had a Benelli rear peep sight mated to the scope rail and Winchester 70 front ramp and blade installed on the front. Following a trigger job it runs 1.5-2.0 MOA open sights and old eyes.

I would love to chop it to 18" from it's current 24" but don't want to lose the modified choke and the barrels are not monolithic.I'm afraid they will lose regulation.

It's heavy and long but deadly. If you are a patient and skilled stalker it will feed you.

0D9EEF9A-2B75-440D-96F7-3FB0FFBBB43F.jpeg

Last Edited:
I have a nickel plated 24cs in 22/20ga, it's an interesting gun but it has the heaviest trigger I've ever seen, I believe I measured it at 18-19lbs years back. Makes you think the safety must be on but it's not. Thought there was something wrong with it but I see others with similar issues.
May be selling it at some point.

I had a 24C with the Lyman peep that shot 20 ga slugs like a rifle. It was handy but sold off to help fund something exciting.

I bought a 24 about 25+ years ago in .223/20 3" mod choke. It has a composite stock and matte finish. I call it the pig or the ugly stick because it is not pretty and it got a rattle can camo job. Length of pull seems stoooopid long but I haven't chopped it yet.

I have taken a LOT of game with it. Deer, grouse, rabbit, crow, coyote, squirrel to name a few.

I had a Benelli rear peep sight mated to the scope rail and Winchester 70 front ramp and blade installed on the front. Following a trigger job it runs 1.5-2.0 MOA open sights and old eyes.

I would love to chop it to 18" from it's current 24" but don't want to lose the modified choke and the barrels are not monolithic.I'm afraid they will lose regulation.

It's heavy and long but deadly. If you are a patient and skilled stalker it will feed you.

View attachment 1370145
The very definition of "No Nonsense".

I have a nickel plated 24cs in 22/20ga, it's an interesting gun but it has the heaviest trigger I've ever seen, I believe I measured it at 18-19lbs years back. Makes you think the safety must be on but it's not. Thought there was something wrong with it but I see others with similar issues.
May be selling it at some point.
Easy fix on that trigger if you know which end of a flat file to hold.

Or, "Yeah, no sense messing with it. Hard to sell with such a horrible trigger, what are you asking for it?" :)

Easy fix on that trigger if you know which end of a flat file to hold.

Or, "Yeah, no sense messing with it. Hard to sell with such a horrible trigger, what are you asking for it?" :)
Eeeeeaaasy there Spitpatch. You're hogging enough of those 24's already. :p

About 10 years ago, while guiding my young son on a turkey hunt, a coyote came in to the calling. I sure wished my son had had something he could have reached out 75 to 100 yards, instead of just the 20 gauge. I thought about picking up a Savage 24 in .222 Remington over 20 gauge but just never happened across one. Now, we don't hunt turkeys anymore and I'd probably just have a pistol on my hip for the coyote opportunities if we did. My desire for the 24 has waned.

View attachment 1370145
In my guns at 50 yds., predictably the 20ga slug hits a tad low (if the sights are set for rifle). The lower post in a duplex scope operates well as aiming point for a slug. Birdshot patterns at 30 yards are largely agreeable to sight settings.

The modified choke is interesting (and would be desirable). With birdshot, I have taken to only shooting low-base field/target loads, as the full chokes do bad damage at normal upland range with a standard load.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top