JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've got a .22/410 side selector that I picked up for a song from a LGS at least 10 years ago (hunnerd bucks). When I was a kid in the '60s I had the same rig with a nickel receiver given to me. The .410 barrel was plugged with mud for some reason. After I cleaned it up, I kilt hella rabbits, squirrels, quail, and other critters with it, inside Fremont's city limits. The only other gun I had was a Mossy 44US that was a one hole wonder. Got it from the base surplus shed for $5 bucks. The 24 can be handy even if .410 is $pendy. PAX

I've got a .22/410 side selector that I picked up for a song from a LGS at least 10 years ago (hunnerd bucks). When I was a kid in the '60s I had the same rig with a nickel receiver given to me. The .410 barrel was plugged with mud for some reason. After I cleaned it up, I kilt hella rabbits, squirrels, quail, and other critters with it, inside Fremont's city limits. The only other gun I had was a Mossy 44US that was a one hole wonder. Got it from the base surplus shed for $5 bucks. The 24 can be handy even if .410 is $pendy. PAX
"... The only other gun I had was a Mossy 44US that was a one hole wonder...." Hey! My first firearm, used from a pawnshop in those halcyon pre-'68 GCA days. Still have it in fact. Someone practiced checkering on the stock, which while somewhat obvious still looks kinda cool (to my eyes at least!)... Dad forked over the $$$ and I raked a lotta leaves to reimburse him...
It came with a scope as well as some kind of adjustable iron target sights. I ruined the sights horsing around in the woods, and the scope got ruined in a blizzard that caught me and a friend out in the woods, it got soaked and water-logged. That POS was replaced by a Weaver K3 or K4 (not sure, just know for sure it is a weaver and was purchased new in the early 1970's). That Weaver scope has of course functioned flawlessly over the years and likely to outlast me..
"One-hole wonder" is what caught my eye in your post- and that is what that Mossberg is.. taken a lot of tin cans, bottles, "landfill" (we called 'em dumps in those days) junk, old car bodies, and many a squirrel, rabbit and coon... For what it is, it is one of the more accurate rifles I own, a treasure from my early youth that never even had serial numbers on it...

Last Edited:
"... The only other gun I had was a Mossy 44US that was a one hole wonder...." Hey! My first firearm, used from a pawnshop in those halcyon pre-'68 GCA days. Still have it in fact. Someone practiced checkering on the stock, which while somewhat obvious still looks kinda cool (to my eyes at least!)... Dad forked over the $$$ and I raked a lotta leaves to reimburse him...
It came with a scope as well as some kind of adjustable iron target sights. I ruined the sights horsing around in the woods, and the scope got ruined in a blizzard that caught me and a friend out in the woods, it got soaked and water-logged. That POS was replaced by a Weaver K3 or K4 (not sure, just know for sure it is a weaver and was purchased new in the early 1970's). That Weaver scope has of course functioned flawlessly over the years and likely to outlast me..
"One-hole wonder" is what caught my eye in your post- and that is what that Mossberg is.. taken a lot of tin cans, bottles, "landfill" (we called 'em dumps in those days) junk, old car bodies, and many a squirrel, rabbit and coon... For what it is, it is one of the more accurate rifles I own, a treasure from my early youth that never even had serial numbers on it...
It was my first gun as well. My pops gave it to me on my 8th birthday in 1960. Bull barrel with Lyman peep and hooded front. I used to shoot the heads off mud ducks. Like a stupid kid I sold it when I was a teenager and spent decades looking for the same set up. Had to settle for a Winchester 75T 8 years ago, nicer rifle but not my Mossy. I wish I had it back because my pops gave it to me. PAX

I had the 22LR/410 version with 24 inch barrels. Fun to shoot. I couldn't afford 410 ammo so only shot the 22. Killed lots of game with it.

I sold it when I was 18. I wish now that I kept it. Oh well thats life.

Late to the party, but I felt I have to chip in.
I gave a great fondness for the Savage 24 and have been lucky.

I have

2 30-30/20ga

1 Stevens .22-410 (what Savage renamed to the Model 24)

1 .357/20ga

1 .223/20ga that I bought in box like new a few years ago that has a black polymer stock

1 .223/12ga that has s black polymer stock

1 .22mag/20ga that was rescued from a damp basement and is pitted all along the outside but has good bores.

I regret passing on a .357 Max Deluxe model about 5 years ago.

My bucket list includes owning one of the Valmet Models Savage had made in .308/12ga. I think they listed as Model 2400.

The 24s provide so much versatility. With my 30-30 I can take almost every game animal in my area by just carrying a variety of 20ga shells snd a couple different 30-30 loads.

Picked up a early 70's era Savage 24D series "M" today from an FFL friend that I know who deals in firearms estate sales.
He somehow messed up and listed it in his email ad as a single shot 20 gauge shotgun for only $150.00.
I looked real close at the ads picture and saw an over/under combination rifle/shotgun with a Williams peep sight.
I called him and asked if he had made a mistake and sure enough he checked on the gun and told me that I was right.
I said that it's worth more than what he's asking and he said that it was to late to change the ad and did I want it for that price.
He informed me that it was a 22lr / 20 gauge and when I brought it home, I found out that it's a .22 WMR , not a 22lr.
The Williams peep sight covers up the upper barrels caliber stampings.
I like buying from him, as he keeps his prices at reasonable levels and doesn't charge a BGC fee.

Picked up a early 70's era Savage 24D series "M" today from an FFL friend that I know who deals in firearms estate sales.
He somehow messed up and listed it in his email ad as a single shot 20 gauge shotgun for only $150.00.
I looked real close at the ads picture and saw an over/under combination rifle/shotgun with a Williams peep sight.
I called him and asked if he had made a mistake and sure enough he checked on the gun and told me that I was right.
I said that it's worth more than what he's asking and he said that it was to late to change the ad and did I want it for that price.
He informed me that it was a 22lr / 20 gauge and when I brought it home, I found out that it's a .22 WMR , not a 22lr.
The Williams peep sight covers up the upper barrels caliber stampings.
I like buying from him, as he keeps his prices at reasonable levels and doesn't charge a BGC fee.
You made out there. He could have easily got 400 or 450 out of it if in good condition. Guessing he had next to nothing in it, so he still made a few bucks anyway.

Picked one up today. 22lr over 3" chamber 410. It's the older production one, with the firing pin selector on the receiver vs. the more modern one with the selector on the hammer. It needs a little TLC, as it is missing the buttplate and can benefit from a good cleaning, and has some character from its use over its age, but I am looking forward to it. A family friend had one of these, and a stevens 410 side by side that I shot when I was a kid.

I loved my 24C--.22 LR over 20 gauge. It was my bird gun, deer gun, and I even shot an unlucky coyote with it. I'd shoot pigeons that snuck inside the grain elevator with .22 shotshells. Chukars, quail, and pheasant got 20 gauge shot. Slugs for mule deer and one coyote. I miss that gun despite not hunting anymore.

I inherited a 24 "campers companion" when my dad passed. I several years later sold it for more than I thought it was worth as they are quite valuable now. The biggest complaint I had was the short 20" shotgun barrel of the campers model was imp. cylinder and too open for shots much past 20 yards. The .22 killed fine.

Here's my new Savage 24V I just scored,, .243/12 gauge tang selector, Paid WAY to much, but had to have it!
1703384148460.png

I've got a 24P 22 LR / 20 ga. Iron is clean. Bores are bright. Just put a new trigger guard on it. Butt plate is intact. Wood has no cracks.
Only problem is the finish on the hardwood is flaking off. It can be yours for $500.

20231009_134900.jpg

this would the the ultimate do it all rifle.

Does anyone make an equivalent new anymore or are these old Savages alls that left of the idea?
As far as I know there is no direct eqivalent now aside from the Savage 42. It only comes in .22lr or .22 mag over .410 though.

Ugly as sin too

250967.png

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany