JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently installed the CMMG .22 LR conversion kit on an AR that I don't use because it was sooo loud with the shorter barrel.

Installation was simple, remove old bolt and install the new bolt. No trigger or hammer work, nothing. I lightly lubed the new bolt and set up a target at 25 yards. Initially the 14.5 inch carbine shot low but with a few twists on the Magpul front Iron Sight, I was dialed in. Performed like a dream with CCI solid points, 40 grain. Fired 100 rounds and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of burned powder mess. Also blasted 20 clay pigeons and was shooting out the centers. Took about 10 minutes to clean, not bad for a blow-back .22. Came with one 25 round mag that fit well. Ordered 3 more for 60 bucks.

Younger grand kids and guests will really enjoy this addition.

1693876278637.png

Aloha, Mark

Hard not to appreciate a post about the enjoyment of plinking with a 22lr! Glad the conversation brought you enjoyment!

Yeah. Those things are very affordable and some great fun! Surprisingly accurate... considering the twist on a standard 5.56 barrel. We've been running a couple for a few years and it never get's old.

As noted, they are a bit of a gateway drug though. Not long ago... I picked up another bolt and it rapidly evolved into a dedicated .22lr upper build. Tossed in some of the borebuddy mods and that thing shoots like a dream. A great introductory/transitional "plug and play" tool on most any lower for the grandkids... is how I justified the build cost... but I shoot it far more than anyone. 🤣

Last Edited:
I recently installed the CMMG .22 LR conversion kit on an AR that I don't use because it was sooo loud with the shorter barrel.

Installation was simple, remove old bolt and install the new bolt. No trigger or hammer work, nothing. I lightly lubed the new bolt and set up a target at 25 yards. Initially the 14.5 inch carbine shot low but with a few twists on the Magpul front Iron Sight, I was dialed in. Performed like a dream with CCI solid points, 40 grain. Fired 100 rounds and was pleasantly surprised by the lack of burned powder mess. Also blasted 20 clay pigeons and was shooting out the centers. Took about 10 minutes to clean, not bad for a blow-back .22. Came with one 25 round mag that fit well. Ordered 3 more for 60 bucks.

Younger grand kids and guests will really enjoy this addition.
So I have been interested in same conversion. Read so many negatives. Seems it's working for u. Great

I am surprised there is negative feedback concerning this conversion kit. If it doesn't work perfectly, you're out $200. You can always throw your bolt carrier back in and have one of the worlds, finest rifles, a functioning, A.R. 15!

So I have been interested in same conversion. Read so many negatives. Seems it's working for u. Great
Personally, I think it has to do more with what you're running them in than a CCMG issue. What I've found is that they run perfectly well in some of our standard milspec uppers, but not in all.... and the mag fits vary... which seems to be a critical element for reliable function.

My theory... you've got a great big carrier, and a great big magwell... with a tiny little bullet needing to be at a very precise point of pickup, at a precise feed angle and feeding it onto a very tiny ramp into a very small target/chamber.

The variations and tolerances with a 5.56 upper, BCG and the size of 5.56 ammo is quite forgiving and a few 100th's of an inch +/- isn't that critical. As you're sizing down though... the more critical the precision and tolerances become for reliable function.

Given the mechanical nature of what we're actually doing I don't really see how CMMG could actually universally account for every combination of minute spec variations common in AR's.

There are plenty of mods that can be done to improve functionality though. To be aware... that really only applies to that specific rifle and may cause the conversion to be even less reliable in others.

My approach has been to forgo any physical mods and simply match the conversion bolt and preferred mags to the upper and lower combo that plays the nicest.

Last Edited:
My approach has been to forget that I own an M261 conversion and just shoot my many Ruger 10/22s. Fun, accurate and reliable. LOL.

BUT, But, but........don't get me wrong because having another 22LR to play with is always a GOOD THING.

Aloha, Mark

I am surprised there is negative feedback concerning this conversion kit. If it doesn't work perfectly, you're out $200. You can always throw your bolt carrier back in and have one of the worlds, finest rifles, a functioning, A.R. 15!
I've always seen the CMMG conversions like they were a shooter's form of coitus interruptus. Back in the last scarcity of 22LR, when rounds cost 10¢ apiece, I was loading 223 for ~13¢, so my question was why?
Don't get me wrong -- I love shooting 22LR from my 22LR guns, and I'm down to about 17K rounds -- but there's something cathartic about shooting full house rounds rather than baby-sharts.
Dear me, half a bottle of Dragon's Milk Stout.....

My approach has been to forget that I own an M261 conversion and just shoot my many Ruger 10/22s. Fun, accurate and reliable. LOL.

BUT, But, but........don't get me wrong because having another 22LR to play with is always a GOOD THING.

Aloha, Mark
I guess for me, it boils down to... when I feel like shooting with my 10/22... I shoot my 10/22. When I feel like shooting and training with my AR, and wish to moderate my ammo costs rather than my round count, I shoot my AR conversion.

I've always seen the CMMG conversions like they were a shooter's form of coitus interruptus. Back in the last scarcity of 22LR, when rounds cost 10¢ apiece, I was loading 223 for ~13¢, so my question was why?
Don't get me wrong -- I love shooting 22LR from my 22LR guns, and I'm down to about 17K rounds -- but there's something cathartic about shooting full house rounds rather than baby-sharts.
When others less familiar with firearms want to try my AR... I let them start with a conversion to get familiar and not to scare them off with big bangs and recoil... then work their way up to a full round. If they want to go hog wild and continue shooting... and it's on my dime... I rather them do it on the cheap with 22 rather than simply "cutting them off" at "X" number of 5.56 mags. Let'em get their shoot on to their hearts content!

The grandkids get a kick out of shooting AR's too, but 22lr is more appropriate for their ages and skill level. Exposure to as many types of firearms as I can give them though is also a goal of mine.

Much of the above also applies to my glocks.

When "I" just want to plink, based on caliber rather than platform, and it's 22lr... more often than not I prefer my lever rifles or my bolt action. Because.... 10/22's feel like "kids toys", I simply like my lever's mo better and my bolt rifle can outshoot just about any 10/22 I've ever met. :s0155:

Personally... I'm not a 22 fanboy. I don't have many native 22lr shooters, in practical applications their use is very limited... and I'm not about to drop larger sums of money on "trainer firearms". Conversions are a cheap alternative to bridge that gap across multiple platforms without breaking the bank.

In other words... I'm not into dropping good money on firearms only capable of baby-sharting.🤣

For me, it boils down to simply one thing. My nine year old grandson wants to shoot the same type of gun that his father and grandfather shoots. Also, when I take new shooters, specially women and younger people, this might be a good way to start them out. I also own 1022s, Remington's, Winchester's in 22 long rifle. This is really just something a little different, sort of the same reason I got into AR's.

This was just a report on how this system worked for me, certainly not meant as a replacement for the standard A.R. 15 and it's awesome 223/556 round.

You can run S&W M&P 15-22 mags if you add one of these to your magazine well: https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/

They add true bolt hold open that won't drop the bolt when you pull the magazine out. They aren't easy to slip in and out though, so I'm not sure you'd want to use it on one you frequently switch back to 223/556. I use one on my dedicated 22LR build that has a CMMG 22LR barrel and it works very well.

I also added this kit from Bore Buddy: https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-bfb/. It sounds like you may not need it, but if you ever do encounter any cycling problems, some parts from that kit may help.

I also added this kit from Bore Buddy: https://borebuddy.com/product/22lr-bfb/. It sounds like you may not need it, but if you ever do encounter any cycling problems, some parts from that kit may help.
I run one of their similar kits in my dedicated as well. Runs beautifully. The drop in's though I only use the buffer plug. Pushing lead through a 5.56 barrel... I don't know that's it's worth the upgrade cost. They shoot "well enough" for their purpose... but the dedicated it was a very worthwhile upgrade. Tunes up real nice and shoots like a dream.

You can run S&W M&P 15-22 mags if you add one of these to your magazine well: https://www.redi-mag.com/product/better-mag-s-22-rimfire-magazine-adaptor/

They add true bolt hold open that won't drop the bolt when you pull the magazine out. They aren't easy to slip in and out though, so I'm not sure you'd want to use it on one you frequently switch back to 223/556. I use one on my dedicated 22LR build that has a CMMG 22LR barrel and it works very well.

That is a great idea! My buddy was shooting his AR with the CMMG kit in it and the last round did not fire but locked open. When he took the mag out, the bolt slammed home sent the round off. Right through his new Pelican case but luckily nowhere near anyone.

Hello to everyone,
I'm just new to the site and trying to get and share some information. Lately I bought a PSA AR15 and thought of adding this kit below. I read a lot of procedures and follow-ups from previous owners some inconsistency is pointing out to a few highlighted features of the rounds they use. "I don't have the kit yet for its still on the way so I haven't tried it yet."
I also spoke to the CMMG conversion manufacturer and this is what they told me.

"We tend to test fire with *Federal Champion 36gr 22LR copper plated hollow points*, as they're relatively inexpensive but run with high reliability."

CMMG BRAVO .22 LR AR CONVERSION KIT - 22BA651
$169.99
SKU 31880
Model Number 22BA651
Brand CMMG
UPC 815835017150
RE:
For optimal performance, we recommend using a round style hammer to avoid any function issues.
Trust in the reliability of 36 grain plated nose bullets, proven to deliver exceptional functionality. With the added convenience of three 25-round magazines, this conversion kit is your gateway to endless shooting possibilities.

I have a question,
I have a few CCI 22LR 36 grain copper plated hollow point. Has anyone tried this?
Thanks. HM

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews