JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my Army days I used M16's made by Mattel (yes, the toy company), General Motors, Colt, Hydramatic, Armalite, (I seem to recall Remington as well) etc, etc, etc.

, the only real difference is the roll-stamp and type of finish each "manufacturer" (vendor) puts on them.

In your Army days they where all the same rifle built to the same spec's Not a very good correlation to whats available today and the range of choices.

by that logic the only difference between a $200 PTAC upper and a $1500 Noveske is the mark on the barrel and the color of the finish?

I know that's not what you meant but there is a reason why some stuff cost more (and is better)

No dispute there, I like me some Noveske and DD, but we were talking "average Joe" market stuff from the OP. In that context you have to admit that a LOT of kit out there is priced solely on what the roll-stamp/silk-screen is on it. Many tend to over-think on these Barbie-guns a bit, but its (mostly) about the barrel, decent sights, shooting skill, keeping it half-way clean, and decently lubed. o_O

I guess my point is, 99.9999999% of us are not tier-1 operators, never were tier-1 operators, never will be tier-1 operators, nor will 99.9999999% of us shoot our AR's more than a couple times a year (if that) and dropping $2,500-$3,500 on an AR won't make anyone a better "faux-perator" than a $450-$800 piece of kit will. :D

Last Edited:
If you are in Oregon, go to Curt's Discount Shooter Supply in Milwaukie. For about $700 you can get one of their house builds which comes with Magpul furniture in whatever color you want and also a picatinny gas block. You won't get a rifle of this quality under $1K and frankly spanks the overpriced Colt 6920 around the block. If your budget is less go with the S&W Sport or the Ruger. Remember to factor in mags and ammo.

Bravo Company.

As far as all ARs being the same, maybe for Bushy, DPMS, Stag, etc.

BCM, Colt, LMT, etc blow those out of the water. Anyone saying otherwise is ignoring the data or doesnt understand how the system works.

Whether most people need that kind of quality is a whole other discussion.

I dont get the perception about these mfgs being expensive. $1000 could easily get you a Colt or BCM, ironically pretty close in price to the hobby grade rifles. For most shooters who go a few times a year, most anything will do.

I personally buy the best I can afford. Do I need it? Well, I'm not humping the mountains of Asscrackistan, but I do shoot 2-3 times a month and take the defense of my family and home seriously, so yes, in my opinion, I do. Ive chosen Sig pistols and Bravo Co. for this task and havent looked back.

Last Edited:
If you are in Oregon, go to Curt's Discount Shooter Supply in Milwaukie. For about $700 you can get one of their house builds which comes with Magpul furniture in whatever color you want and also a picatinny gas block. You won't get a rifle of this quality under $1K and frankly spanks the overpriced Colt 6920 around the block. If your budget is less go with the S&W Sport or the Ruger. Remember to factor in mags and ammo.

Do you know if Curt's has a piston rifle?

Not sure, but they carry the Adams kits in stock. They are pretty workable and might build one for you if it's not a regular item. You could stop by if you are local or give them a call. BTW they are also in the vendor forum.

dropping $2,500-$3,500 on an AR won't make anyone a better "pho-perator" than a $450-$800 piece of kit will. :D

Very true. Its amazing how many people who cant shoot a $600 rifle think that buying a $2000 rifle will magically solve there lack of skill and marksmanship. I for one know that every firearm I own that I am the limiting factor, right down to the cheapest hunk of iron in the safe.

Very true. Its amazing how many people who cant shoot a $600 rifle think that buying a $2000 rifle will magically solve there lack of skill and marksmanship. I for one know that every firearm I own that I am the limiting factor, right down to the cheapest hunk of iron in the safe.

True in every sport - how many golf clubs get sold on that very logical flaw.

Such a big help.
Maybe he thought more of us than the folks on google and wanted some opinions from locals?
And to think you could of clicked it backwards and on to the next thread

I agree. Our uninformed AR experts are far better than some random uninformed AR expert on the Internet.

I'm no expert,but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
If you aren't going to shoot the AR but once a month or so,then any 1 will do just fine.Right now $600 will buy a nice AR,so 800 will get you....... the same thing with a different name on it,lol
Maybe better furniture.
We have a local shop/gun range that charges $1800 for their frankengun,cause it has the GPS quardnants ? on the lower.
Still makes that terrible sound when you pull the charging handle back.

If I'm paying $1800 for an AR there will be no noise when charging the weapon

I dont claim to be an expert, But I do have some experience :D

family.jpg

IRON MONSTER... impressive collection are you sure that's not the local Police Swat team rifle rack??? LOL

for an off the shelf $800-$1k AR, my son loves his M&P15. It has shot flawless for over 500 rounds. I shoot a mirage of assembled rifles.

If you're trying to hit a man-size target at 100 yards, just about any AK-47 would be better. If you're trying to shoot 5 inch groups at 800 yards there's no AK that will do what an AR will at this price point. Since I shoot paper & steel targets and not people there's no reason I would ever prefer an AK at any price.

Last Edited:
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a recommendation on an AR-15.

What Brands, models would you recommend?

I would say that the S&W M&P and DPMS would be two good quality value brands for you to consider. Do some shopping around for them.

Do NOT consider the Colt 6920, as its 1:7 twist barrel will limit your selection of bullet weights significantly to only the heaviest bullets. Get a S&W M&P or DPMS with a 1:9 twist barrel instead. That is a much more versatile twist rate.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top