JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello Everyone,
I am looking for a recommendation on an AR-15.

This is what I am looking for:
1. Under $1000 for the rifle itself. If I could get under $800, that would be even better.
2. The best quality that I can get for the above price range. I view quality as the rifle's ability to shoot reliably, and accurately for a long time.
3. Ability to shoot both .223 and 5.56.
4. I do want a forward assist and an ejection port cover.
5. I don't need alot of fancy rails, lights, grips, scopes, etc etc etc on it. I just need a basic rifle with iron sites.
6. Having said that, having the rail on the top of the upper receiver would be good in case I want to do something later.
7. I'd prefer to buy new, but I am open to buying used in the right situation.

What Brands, models would you recommend?

Thanks

There are many dozens of quality AR's that can be bought in the $800-$1000 price range with the attributes you list. The truth is if your spending it on a firearm that is really in that range (your not overpaying for a $400 rifle) then any of them will serve your needs and you likely could tell no difference in performance or longevity.

Personally I would assemble a lower using furniture you like (or find an assembled lower you like) and mate it to a assembled upper from PSA or another reputable outfit. Thats how you will likely get the appearance and features you want at the lowest possible price.

That Colt is probably the one to beat for under a K. At the low end of the scale, I'd give the Ruger AR-556 a very close look. Northwest Armory has them for $589.00 and for that price, you could put a nice Primary Arms red dot on the top and have a great combo. Though it busts your budget, I was up at Rainier Arms a few weeks ago, and I've got to say their new RUC AR's are some of the nicest I've seen for the price. For $1600.00 you get a fantastic barrel and overall, the quality of the rifle is well above average. If I didn't have any AR's in the safe, that's probably the first one I'd buy.

Last Edited:
...and a DelTon is the first one that pops up after your LMGTFY link does the search. Is that your recommendation....??....:rolleyes:

No, not necessarily. My recommendation is for the OP to do his/her own research. (I don't know if he's a "he" or she's a "she" since this is his/her first post). I make this recommendation because nearly everyone who responds is going to say whatever is in their safe, or are familiar with is the greatest thing since beer was put into cans.

A strange phenomenon I've noticed on threads like this is the strong emotional attachment quite a few guys have in their choice of AR's. Reasoning with a lot of these guys is like trying to reason with a liberal. No matter how many details and/or facts that are presented, they are so emotionally involved in whatever AR they happen to own they will not be open to the truth that their AR sucks.

Now, a discussion on why one AR, 1911, striker fired gun (or whatever) is better or worse than a different AR, 1911, striker fired gun (or whatever) is a discussion worth having. Threads like those are usually quite educational and informative.

Like BAMCIS said people have an emotional attachment to certain ARs especially Colts so you really cant go wrong with a Colt because they are high quality and they hold their value exceptionally well if you ever decide to resell. But if that is not a concern IMHO you can put one together of similar quality with hand picked features for a couple hundred less that the AR snobs might not approve of but will serve you well for many years.

I put together a MEGA gator receiver set with a PSA barrel, RCA black nitride BCG, White oak armament trigger, and MFT minimalist stock for around $750 by buying some components from the parts classifieds.

No, not necessarily. My recommendation is for the OP to do his/her own research. (I don't know if he's a "he" or she's a "she" since this is his/her first post). I make this recommendation because nearly everyone who responds is going to say whatever is in their safe, or are familiar with is the greatest thing since beer was put into cans.

A strange phenomenon I've noticed on threads like this is the strong emotional attachment quite a few guys have in their choice of AR's. Reasoning with a lot of these guys is like trying to reason with a liberal. No matter how many details and/or facts that are presented, they are so emotionally involved in whatever AR they happen to own they will not be open to the truth that their AR sucks.

Now, a discussion on why one AR, 1911, striker fired gun (or whatever) is better or worse than a different AR, 1911, striker fired gun (or whatever) is a discussion worth having. Threads like those are usually quite educational and informative.

Well said.....:cool:

If you know nothing about ARs and don't know what you want, but the cheapest one you can find and then figure out what you want.
Personally I don't think there is any difference in uppers and lowers, even most parts unless you get up in the $1500 and up range.
I have owned a S&W, Superior arms, delton, and I've built 3 other ARs with various parts.
Most parts are the same, don't get fooled by a fancy name.
I love my delton, but even that i've swapped a few parts out on.
Buy a cheap AR and get the stock and handgaurd you want and put a good trigger in it. Boom, you have a high end AR.
Dang handgaurds are the most expensive thing on an AR just about.
And get a good red dot on it.
You can have a really nice AR for well under $1000 including optics.

i bought a bushmaster in 05 and it has worked really well. only complaint is that it wont run with certain mags i.e. brownells. the new ruger has def. raised an eyebrow..its all metal, not composite ,and its made by ruger!

If you know nothing about ARs and don't know what you want, but the cheapest one you can find and then figure out what you want.
Personally I don't think there is any difference in uppers and lowers, even most parts unless you get up in the $1500 and up range.
I have owned a S&W, Superior arms, delton, and I've built 3 other ARs with various parts.
Most parts are the same, don't get fooled by a fancy name.
I love my delton, but even that i've swapped a few parts out on.
Buy a cheap AR and get the stock and handgaurd you want and put a good trigger in it. Boom, you have a high end AR.

Exactly. I have had most of top ones Rock River,LMT and Colt. I have also had Olympic and DPMS.

The uppers and lowers are all the same material. The exception are the lowers such as polymer I have not had one so can't comment.

The differences are the BCG and barrels. Most low end ones are Chrome Moly and not chromed. Same with the BCG. Doesn't make a difference IMO not really. On the DPMS I swapped the BCG for a microslick BCG from Mad Custom Coatings. $175.00 and the other BCG is a spare. Here is how the most excellent DPMS I have setup and cost. 100% reliable too and modified the way I like

DPMS right around 640.00
MOE handguard 27.00
BCG 175.00
Battlelink minimalist stock 50.00
Primary arms micro dot 126.00
Back up sights 73.00

This is the way I want it and near 1000.
Could I have done it cheaper sure, look in classifieds and ship sales.
Could I have saved more with build I did myself. Sure, but not much and no warranty

In my Army days I used M16's made by Mattel (yes, the toy company), General Motors, Colt, Hydramatic, Armalite, (I seem to recall Remington as well) etc, etc, etc.

They all shot bullets, they all rattled slightly between the upper and lower receiver, they all had worn finishes on leading edges... Point is, there's only a few places that forge the parts, the only real difference is the roll-stamp and type of finish each "manufacturer" (vendor) puts on them.

In the end, it's quality of the barrel that matters most. The best ones IMHO are hammer forged and button rifled. I run an Armalite upper that really whips the llama's arse.

In the carbine 16" length barrel class, I'm more partial to the mid-legnth gas system. Same OAL, longer sight radius, gas impulse on the bolt is not as harsh, longer hand guard.... Plus your bayonnette lug can actually be used for it's intended purpose! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top