JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just recently made the decision to buy.

Went with multicurved level 3+ build up spall coating from AR500. Pretty happy with it, pretty cheap.

I hung it in a banshee plate carrier I got for $100.

Good workout weight vest too.

Honestly wouldn't worry about the shelf life.

They're AR500 plates, so indefinite. Perhaps the anti spall coating, but worst case on that you could put some type of Kevlar anti spall padding in front of them, if it came to it.

AR500 offers different threat rated armor, get the 3+ and call it a day. It will last forever and you won't have to worry about cracking it if it got dropped (ceramic) match it with one of their carriers and it won't be very expensive.

They have a sale now.

$177.60 armor and carrier packages.

The problem with steel is they are no good against AP or even high-velocity rounds such as common M855 "Greentip", not even going to get into the spalling. I would challenge anyone to name a single major PD or military group that issues A500 plates, that speaks volumes to me.

Armor is an investment, I want the best. A hybrid rifle plate combining the benefits of polyethylene and steel like the TAC3S or High-density alumina with composite fiber, polyurethane coating. They are multi-hit capable and extremely tough and unlike ceramic plates, there is no need for x-rays the downside is weight and cost.

Here is a good primer on the subject:

Read more: Body Armor 101: What You Need to Know | RECOIL

Called AR 500 and this was their recommendation: $177 value pack with level III, right hand, multicurve buildup, excluding cumberbum, plate pockets, padded side, or trauma pad; steel plates of 16 pounds total, or remote idea and not recommended for home protection would be the level III + which would be protection against 223/5.56. Level III works for 308 and any handgun up to 44 mag. I'm thinking for civilian use only in case of home or civil unrest/riots, etc. What do you think? Thanks.

Heres the thing. Armor is like scopes. Sure you can get by with low priced, heavy, underperforming options, often with no warranty... or you can save up for quality and lightweight items. Now, quality doesnt necessarily mean = to the cost of the firearm you have, but it sometimes can be.

As an extreme example; hi point carbine, decent mid range scope/optics, brand new condor or surplus good armor carrier(Eagle<many models, SDS/BAE, Tactical tailor, Point Blank, Diamondback Tactical to name a few), then heavy as hell AR500 armor... consider the addition of level 2 or similar kevlar soft inserts for anti spalling/fragmentation... then theres the weight of the other gear you will carry, like ammo and FAK, possibly a 2nd weapon (pistol) either on the chest or drop leg platform.

Or you can save up the money, get lighter armor, drop pounds off the rig, and use very good quality carriers... this would enable you to be more mobile and still well protected.

Urban/suburban, enough armor is a must, (head, torso, sometimes groin, 360 protection, bigger FAK) lots of bullets can go through lots of the construction in US towns/urban centers (not a lot of fortified/stone structures)

In the woodlands though; concealment and cover, and speed are key, armor can be lighter/minimal while providing protection to vital areas... shots likely longer range, less people shooting at you on average; at least compared to the urban/suburban areas.

Of course this assumes everywhere is a warzone.

I have seen some decent concealment armor with thin plates for level 3+ for decent prices; but have also seen a lot of heavier stuff for similar prices.

One thing to consider. Some cuts of soft armor will be way expensive due to their cut... (looking at BALCS/SPEAR for my Eagle CIRAS) while others are much cheaper; a police type soft insert with plate pockets may be OK if you are not expecting heavy fire from multiple rifle calibers, but expect handgun fire and IEDs

Do not look at carriers just for price range; they should also fit pretty good. I have a XL size CIRAS ; and then there is my self-made rig that fits me better due to it being a plate only carrier with MOLLE/ALICE webbing, as opposed to the SPEAR/BALCS soft cut and cummerbund combination on the CIRAS which is way cumbersome and heavier...

Green vest is self-made, shown w old school ALICE pouches. 20170810_083032.jpg

I run a Firstspear strandhogg and some lvl 3's, probably gonna upgrade the plates. Im at 25 lbs if that helps

View attachment 479272

I got lucky and got a first spear carrier during a production overrun sale, but if I was paying $400 or more dollars for what it is normally priced. The AR500 armor package and then a First spear retrofit tubes cummerbund is the way to go, you save at least the cost of the armor compared to going with the first spear rig and you still get the functionality of the tubes making it easy on and off.

Hesco level 4 ceramic SAPI plates are on sale right now, as well as Blue Lives Matter branded level 4 ceramics.

For the weight penalty of AR500 steel Level 3 plates; its simpler to go to level 4 ceramics.. although bulky... for the cost of Level 3 ceramic/composite hard armor, the Level 4 looks a better deal, but it seems level 3 armor can be better for multi hits

With 3A plate backers, or 3a full soft armor...a smaller level 3 plate could be used (S to M size, or if you're crazy like me... "side plate"/speed plate/trauma plate in custom carrier :rolleyes:)

I haven't been able to find decent lightweight level 3 armor for the same price point that the level 4 ceramics are at... still not sure of the newer AR500 branded composite/steel core armor.. heard theres a newer steel alloy armor thats better and lighter, AR680 or something like that?

Hesco level 4 ceramic SAPI plates are on sale right now, as well as Blue Lives Matter branded level 4 ceramics.

For the weight penalty of AR500 steel Level 3 plates; its simpler to go to level 4 ceramics.. although bulky... for the cost of Level 3 ceramic/composite hard armor, the Level 4 looks a better deal, but it seems level 3 armor can be better for multi hits

With 3A plate backers, or 3a full soft armor...a smaller level 3 plate could be used (S to M size, or if you're crazy like me... "side plate"/speed plate/trauma plate in custom carrier :rolleyes:)

I haven't been able to find decent lightweight level 3 armor for the same price point that the level 4 ceramics are at... still not sure of the newer AR500 branded composite/steel core armor.. heard theres a newer steel alloy armor thats better and lighter, AR680 or something like that?

Where did you find the Hesco plates on sale? Does not appear on sale on their website? Thanks.

This looks like the chest plate; can these be used for front and back? Seems odd?
They're the front/back plates as carried in these sort of armor carriers. Not sure what "chest plate" is? They're not the smaller Speed Plates made by Paraclete or the Trauma Inserts made by Second Chance, which are steel or titanium, and shaped quite differently. The Paraclete Speed Plate hard inserts are shaped differently as well. I've never seen a "Front/Back" armor that's not shaped similarly to the linked plates...only the rectangle ones meant for backs or backpacks/laptops... normal soft armor vests are what have at least 360 degrees coverage, with hard armor, you'd need both front/rear, and side plates..
DSCF1617.JPG

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top