JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I started out with a 550 and have loaded 9mm, 40 and .223 on it. A friend gave me a Turret Press and I loaded some .308 on it. I moved on to a 650 and load everything but .308 on it.

I would suggest the 650.

The auto indexing and case feeder can greatly increases your speed and lessens fatigue. You are just one step away from "only" having to crank the handle by adding a bullet feeder.

Before Mark 7 came around it was uncommon to hear of somebody moving away from Dillon.... and pretty rare somebody went down in the series... From a 650 to a 550, etc.

A few years back there were some guys at the Portland gun show who carried Dillon gear. IIRC they were out of the Portland area (maybe Milwaukie?), but I don't think they have a storefront, and don't remember their business name.

The only store in the PNW where I have seen Dillon items stocked is Lynnwood Shooter Supply, north of Seattle. When I was passing through six months ago, they had presses, die sets, powder measures, mounts, small parts kits, etc. A nice selection of items in stock, ready to go. However, paying sales tax in WA pretty much results in an offset in shipping costs from Dillon in AZ. I purchased a couple die sets I was needing just to support them, since I liked seeing a local (for someone in the SEA area) shop stock Dillon stuff. Cool shop with some good items, for anyone who hasn't been in there before. This was my first time.

There's an "Authorized dealer" tab in the drop down menu on the Dillon home page. Who knows if it's updated or if the dealers actually have stuff in stock, but it looks like there are a few listed around nw OR anyway. Worth a look maybe.

The only store in the PNW where I have seen Dillon items stocked is Lynnwood Shooter Supply, north of Seattle. When I was passing through six months ago, they had presses, die sets, powder measures, mounts, small parts kits, etc. A nice selection of items in stock, ready to go. However, paying sales tax in WA pretty much results in an offset in shipping costs from Dillon in AZ. I purchased a couple die sets I was needing just to support them, since I liked seeing a local (for someone in the SEA area) shop stock Dillon stuff. Cool shop with some good items, for anyone who hasn't been in there before. This was my first time.

Not trying to be a smart azz but you do know that you don't have to pay sales tax in WA if you have a ODL?

To keep it on topic, I am very happy with both of my 550's. So far, I have only used them for pistols rounds (one set up for large primers and one set up for small primers). I am loading about 300 rounds an hour and that seems like plenty for me. Pretty easy to switch calibers and fairly affordable. Both of mine are set up without risers so sitting at my bench I can see inside the case to check powder charge. Inline Fabs Ergo handle is a must have though.

Last Edited:
When I got into reloading about six years ago I tried the 550, 650, 1050, LNL and and rcbs piggyback. I ended up with the 650 and have never regretted it. It is not perfect but is a damn good press. I would highly reccomend it over the 550. If you have to get a 650 without a casefeeder and add It later that is easily done.

There are some that complain of the time to swap calibers but it is quick and easy once you know what to do. I change calibers in about five minutes or so, add a couple minutes if I have to switch primer sizes. I now load or prep 11 calibers on it and added a 1050 for loading .223 and 9mm and have a spare 650 that I may setup on an autodrive someday. The 1050 is an absolute workhorse with the swage station.

I bought my 650 from Brian Enos who no longer sells Dillon, the 1050 I bought from eBay seller brand new. It saved about $50 at the time when shipping was factored in, and their price was the best on the 650 as well as I was looking at buying a second at one time.

I've used a 550 for ages and only have one complaint. It seems like I'm always getting powder granules floating around. They end up on the primer seater and if I don't catch it, they cause dented primers. They always worked, but I prefer to avoid that issue. I've since changed to hand priming so it's a moot point.
I think the 550 is a well made press and I can make a bunch of rounds an hour if production is the goal. I can also use it pretty much like a single stage press and do one round at a time. It really is a versatile machine. I had the opportunity to work my way into a 650, but decided against it mostly because I am satisfied with the 550.

The 550 is perfect for smaller (<1,000) rounds progressive or for precision hand loads non indexed. The 650 is great for high volume batches. It's just up to your needs. The 550 meets my needs the best and have been happy with mine. I don't think I would have been less happy with the 650. Dillon (and others) make some very awesome equipment.

Appreciate all the responses, guys, but after all that rigmarole, I think I'm just going to stick with my Rockchucker for now. Partly cost, partly devil I know :rolleyes:. Later, and thanks again.

Dave

I'm new to reloading, with my next purchase being a press. Now doing lots of research and asking questions. I've been borrowing a freind's press to get used to the process before I plunk down "the green".

While the Lee Class Turret Press is lower cost and puts out a lot of good quality rifle and pistol brass, I'm not impressed with the Safety Primer setup. It seems that it is an afterthought and looks like it just gets in the way. I'm also an Engineer and I've heard the Primer Feed (Versions #1, and #2) mechanisms don't look like they would hold up, as they are made of plastic.

Can those who have used the Lee Classic Turret, help (or correct) me with your impressions based upon your personal experience?

I'm new to reloading, with my next purchase being a press. Now doing lots of research and asking questions. I've been borrowing a freind's press to get used to the process before I plunk down "the green".

While the Lee Class Turret Press is lower cost and puts out a lot of good quality rifle and pistol brass, I'm not impressed with the Safety Primer setup. It seems that it is an afterthought and looks like it just gets in the way. I'm also an Engineer and I've heard the Primer Feed (Versions #1, and #2) mechanisms don't look like they would hold up, as they are made of plastic.

Can those who have used the Lee Classic Turret, help (or correct) me with your impressions based upon your personal experience?

I use a hand primer. I only do single stage, but if I ever did get into a progressive I'd still hand prime. It's the feel ya' know.

Lots of reviews of both Lee turret presses and a lot more:
Lee Turret Press for Sale | Lee Presses | Titan Reloading
LEE CLASSIC CAST TURRET PRESS
I'm not a fan of the pez dispenser priming either and it's on the new Breech Lock Pro too.
You could always hand prime o_O
:D
edit: here's a thread on the classic turret by a bunch of fan boys on another site:
My Lee Classic Turret is Defective

Last Edited:

The priming system is kind of cheesy, but mine has held up for years with no trouble.

I should add it used to be my only press, and I have loaded thousands of rounds on it.

The priming system is kind of cheesy, but mine has held up for years with no trouble.

I should add it used to be my only press, and I have loaded thousands of rounds on it.
Yep seems cheesy...15000 rounds and counting on mine with nary an issue so???
The only thing I had to replace was one of those nylon nuts that runs the indexing shaft at around 9000 rounds. It costs like 12 cents. It's a wear part it's meant to be replaced it saves the steel rod from wearing out or being bent if someone forces things when they're bound.

Slight redirection here...
Pretty much sold on getting a 650 very soon (been a Rock Chucker guy since the 70's). Plan on setting up for 3 or 4 calibers, the 4th being 45, all the others are small primers. From reading posts over the past year is seems like the primer size change is the most time consuming issue with the press. Here is the question part:

Doing the math, getting a Square Deal B in 45 auto is slightly more expensive than getting all the conversion parts and dies for the 650 (few hundred dollars but compared to the total, not that much). Thinking of ordering the 650 for the 3 small primer rounds and a SDB set up for 45. Am I an idiot, overthinking this or on to something? (Spouse is good with the first two answers.)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top