JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lee Pro 1000 is the only press I can say I hated!
I spent way more time fiddling with every adjustment to keep it running. I would have to sort cases by headstamp to keep them running smoothly, I had to start priming off the press because the priming system never would work smoothly.
I have used other lee presses successfully, but the pro 1000 had me pulling hair to keep it running!
For a higher volume pistol ammo press the 550 Dillon is as smooth and easy to feed as any I have tried.
If you can swing the extra $$$ you wont be sorry.
If you can't swing the extra $$$ Lees pro 4000 has been out for awhile, And I have heard so few complaints about them. I would give them a shot. DR
i feel your pain i spend more time fixing and tuning it then reloading

If you buy a new, fully outfitted press, a Lee Load master will fit your budget, a Hornady LnL AP will set you back ~$750 and a Dillon XL-750 will be around $1K.
That is the order of progressives that I have owned.
All have their quirks. All, when dialed in, will produce pistol ammo at a rate of 300-450 rounds per hour.

For high volume pistol the Dillon Square Deal or 550 will be tough to beat. I've got a 550 and can crank out 100 rounds in just under 10 minutes without really pushing hard.

If you buy a new, fully outfitted press, a Lee Load master will fit your budget, a Hornady LnL AP will set you back ~$750 and a Dillon XL-750 will be around $1K.
That is the order of progressives that I have owned.
All have their quirks. All, when dialed in, will produce pistol ammo at a rate of 300-450 rounds per hour.
I have a Lee Loadmaster, have worked out most of the kinks and have loaded tens of thousands of both 9mm and 5.56. However, that press has been discontinued and has been replaced with the Lee Six Pack Pro It gets excellent reviews.

The downside that I see is that you would need to replace individual dies to change calipers instead of a simple turret change out.

I have a Lee Loadmaster, have worked out most of the kinks and have loaded tens of thousands of both 9mm and 5.56. However, that press has been discontinued and has been replaced with the Lee Six Pack Pro It gets excellent reviews.

The downside that I see is that you would need to replace individual dies to change calipers instead of a simple turret change out.
6-pack Pro looks interesting. Seems they did away with the perfect powder measure disks (which can be extremely accurate and repeatable), and I didn't see the silly "shake and seat" primer tray.
@Brian R , reach out to @misterarman (John) - he may still have a Dillon that will fit your needs. John is a great guy to buy from.
Edit to add, if I were to lose everything and had to start from scratch on a budget, I would not hesitate to get a Lee. I'd bypass the Hornady LnL, though, and go straight to a Dillon or the Frankford 10 station press.

Last Edited:
Never saw the need for a progressive as I enjoy the loading process and do not shoot any type of competition. I get by fine with a rockchucker supreme and one of those new fangled redding t-7 turrets for the higher volume stuff.

Never saw the need for a progressive as I enjoy the loading process and do not shoot any type of competition. I get by fine with a rockchucker supreme and one of those new fangled redding t-7 turrets for the higher volume stuff.
Brother from another mother? :D It's like gardening, all the work planting and growing is an equal part of the enjoyment of eating a product more diverse and better than you buy in the store. Oh, also allows me to listen to the music I like.

Brother from another mother? :D It's like gardening, all the work planting and growing is an equal part of the enjoyment of eating a product more diverse and better than you buy in the store. Oh, also allows me to listen to the music I like.
I also like music while enjoying my favorite hobby. It's mostly pew pew, pew and ping, ping, ping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top