JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a new press to buy as my just isnt cutting it for me. Looking not to spend more 500$ and would like a progessive but would be okay with an single. Any reccomandations of presses that have worked well for you?

Looking for a new press to buy as my just isnt cutting it for me. Looking not to spend more 500$ and would like a progessive but would be okay with an single. Any reccomandations of presses that have worked well for you?
New press suggests you have one currently. What is that?

For higher volume handgun loading, I like Dillon myself. Have both 550 and 650. And had a Square Deal B prior. Know folks who have and like Hornady also. Probably hard to go wrong with either, personal preference (and what you can find a decent deal on) likely would steer my decision.

If you go Dillon, I would consider what you plan to load. The 550 is very versatile. The 650 or 750 (with the casefeeder) can speed up higher volume loading sessions a bit, and the 5th station on the die head gives a bit more flexibility (powder cop die or bullet feeder). The 550 is a great machine though, quick and easy to change calibers; can load a good amount of ammo fairly quickly and efficiently, and if you watch and get lucky, you may find a good deal on a used setup with some caliber conversions and extras that you can use. They are a bit pricey new though, and the extras add up.

For higher volume handgun loading, I like Dillon myself. Have both 550 and 650. And had a Square Deal B prior. Know folks who have and like Hornady also. Probably hard to go wrong with either, personal preference (and what you can find a decent deal on) likely would steer my decision.

If you go Dillon, I would consider what you plan to load. The 550 is very versatile. The 650 or 750 (with the casefeeder) can speed up higher volume loading sessions a bit, and the 5th station on the die head gives a bit more flexibility (powder cop die or bullet feeder). The 550 is a great machine though, quick and easy to change calibers; can load a good amount of ammo fairly quickly and efficiently, and if you watch and get lucky, you may find a good deal on a used setup with some caliber conversions and extras that you can use. They are a bit pricey new though, and the extras add up.
thank you, i appreciate it

Agreed. Been reloading around a dozen different pistol and rifle calibers on a 550 for a LONG time. Not a huge fan of the square deal B since the dies aren't standard sized. Keep your eyes out for a used 550 bundle; I've seen a few good deals on FB marketplace recently.

It would depend on my type of shooting and if I planned on owning just one press versus if I had the money and space for multiple presses eventually. Like in all of life, everything has pros and cons...
If I shot high-volume pistol, I would lean towards a progressive and I would save my money until I could buy a Dillon...
If my focus was benchrest rifle, I would buy a single stage, probably a Forster...
If I want one press only and I reload both the above, I would get a turret press.
I use a Redding T7 and it takes 30 minutes to reload 100 rounds of 9mm, including placing each round in a case gauge afterwards. I have preinstalled the primers prior to starting this process...

I'm looking for higher volume pistol. Currently have a lee pro 1000? I could use one more turret ideally
Lee Pro 1000 is the only press I can say I hated!
I spent way more time fiddling with every adjustment to keep it running. I would have to sort cases by headstamp to keep them running smoothly, I had to start priming off the press because the priming system never would work smoothly.
I have used other lee presses successfully, but the pro 1000 had me pulling hair to keep it running!
For a higher volume pistol ammo press the 550 Dillon is as smooth and easy to feed as any I have tried.
If you can swing the extra $$$ you wont be sorry.
If you can't swing the extra $$$ Lees pro 4000 has been out for awhile, And I have heard so few complaints about them. I would give them a shot. DR

Last Edited:
I picked up a Lee APP a while back and love it. Nope, it's not a Dillion which I would love more if I could afford it, but it works great as a semi-progressive press and the price is great

The "Deluxe" version wasn't around when I got mine, the handle looks like a great upgrade

I picked up a Lee APP a while back and love it. Nope, it's not a Dillion which I would love more if I could afford it, but it works great as a semi-progressive press and the price is great

The "Deluxe" version wasn't around when I got mine, the handle looks like a great upgrade

I have and use a Lee APP (with the roller handle, nice upgrade, BTW) for decapping brass prior to wet tumbling, and for sizing cast bullets. It can be a little finicky feeding cases from the tube, but once set up correctly, and with the slide kept clean, it runs pretty OK.

I think Lee markets this as a brass processing press rather than a reloading press when I bought mine back when they first came out. Thought I recall the literature with it saying it was not to be used for sizing cases and such, as it's pretty light duty compared to other reloading presses I've used. But maybe they have expanded its range of use, or are marketing it as more now…..Lee is pretty good at doing such…..

I have and use a Lee APP (with the roller handle, nice upgrade, BTW) for decapping brass prior to wet tumbling, and for sizing cast bullets. It can be a little finicky feeding cases from the tube, but once set up correctly, and with the slide kept clean, it runs pretty OK.

I think Lee markets this as a brass processing press rather than a reloading press when I bought mine back when they first came out. Thought I recall the literature with it saying it was not to be used for sizing cases and such, as it's pretty light duty compared to other reloading presses I've used. But maybe they have expanded its range of use, or are marketing it as more now…..Lee is pretty good at doing such…..
I got mine a year or so after they came out, by that time it was billed as a full function reloading press 🤷‍♂️

I got mine a year or so after they came out, by that time it was billed as a full function reloading press 🤷‍♂️
I see that on their website now, so maybe I am not remembering correctly….or maybe I came to that perspective erroneously based on years of using rcbs and Dillon stuff that seems to be made more robust than the APP. Don't get me wrong; not knocking the APP, but as you noted, it's not a Dillon. But it is modestly priced and does quite a bit of helpful stuff for the $ it costs!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top