JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wasn't sure whether to post this here, or in the shotgun forum. I'll try here.

Further to my post No. 5036 in the "What did you reload today?" thread.

Since my grandson and I have started a bit of trap shooting, I thought I get a inexpensive Lee Load All 2 shot shell press in 20 gauge. It came a while back, and I've been waiting for some components for it. Which also lately arrived. Last night, I turned out 30 rounds of 20 ga. #7-1/2 target loads. New equipment often comes with a learning process. As I'd mentioned before, decades ago I loaded shot shells on a Lyman Easy press. The Lee is easy enough to use. But there are some features that I do not like.

1. There is a lack of adjustment on the crimp starter and crimp stations. So you have to learn where to stop the downward stroke to avoid a bad crimp. Over on the left side, if you leave the sizing bushing in place in the decapping station, that can act as a stop. But it won't necessarily be appropriate for either the crimp starter, the final crimp station or both. On my long-gone Lyman Easy, both of those stations were individually adjustable, as I recall. So beyond just trying to perfect my "it's right about there" guesstimate of stroke, I'll have to come up with a pair of stops for both of the stations mentioned.

2. When you're all done, dumping the unused powder and shot is a problem. Because both are housed in a single reservoir. The press instructions say nothing about this. I watched a Youtube video, which suggested drilling a hold in one corner of the reservoir cover. That way, you would empty either side without removing the reservoir cover. So I followed this advice. I drilled the hold in one corner and dumped out the shot first. Of course with one side empty, you don't need to pour through the hole in the cover to empty the other side.

3. If you want to change a shot bushing, you must dump the power first.

4. The power and shot discharge is done with a slide. If you get out of phase, somehow, it's awkward to load powder or shot out of sequence.

Years ago I tried the Lee Load All for 12ga. It took about three loadings for me to break it beyond repair. Two thumbs down for not being anywhere near Mikey tough.

I have not heard good things about the load all, if you are going to keep reloading shotshells I would keep my eyes open for a mec progressive. I don't personally use a mec, I reload on a PW, but I have several trap buddies that do, and they all speak highly of their various mec reloaders.

If I were going to load a lot of shells, I would be looking for a MEC. or a Lyman. I have a Lee that I only use to make a handful of buckshot loads a year.
It lets me keep my main loader setup and adjusted to make target loads. DR

I used a Lee for a few years to load low-recoil slugs. Getting the crimp right was a learning curve. I found that I could do it by feel if I filled the powder side of the shotcup all the way with filler. This would provide resistance when the crimp reached the slug, where before I would occasionally just crush right past it. It was still a bit fiddly, and I'll get a different press if I reload 12 Gauge again in any quantity.

Years ago I tried the Lee Load All for 12ga. It took about three loadings for me to break it beyond repair. Two thumbs down for not being anywhere near Mikey tough.
That may have been when the product still had a metal base. The Load All 2 has a plastic base and likely easier to break.

I'm not saying it was a Lee issue, brute force and ignorance are two tools in my tool box. In order for things to pass the Mikey tough test they've got to last longer than the original learning curve for me.

I have a Lee that I only use to make a handful of buckshot loads

I used a Lee for a few years to load low-recoil slugs.
When I bought this tool, the idea was to use it for some specialty loads, not so much for bird shot loads. I've been loading 28 ga. specialty loads without a press for some time. However, I've had some partial bags of shot that came from here and there and of course I wanted to use those up.

But to go out and buy new 25# bags of shot, that's like $55 per. So for the trouble and cost of components, I'm starting to think those $10 boxes of target loads may be a better way.

The Lee Load All isn't going to be all that helpful with the special loads, come to find out. For one thing, using the flake powder I have does not result in consistency as to charge going through the press power measure.

When I sent for the Lee Load All, it was with the full knowledge that it was the least expensive such thing on the market. Now I've got it, I can use it as little or as much as I want but it is an option. I suppose the lingering survivalist mentality in me is saying, "What if some day you can't get shotgun shells anymore?"

brute force and ignorance are two tools in my tool box.
Yeah, when I was a kid, one of my dad's repeated admonitions was, "Don't force it." Which I've come to appreciate and validate more and more over the years.

One he forgot to impart to me was, "Leave well enough alone." I don't know how many times I've done something to 99% of my own satisfaction, and trying to get that last 1% has caused me to foul it up completely.

Update. This afternoon, I got back on the Lee Load All 2 doing birdshot rounds. I modified and improved my technique. Instead of using the powder drop size as provided on the Lee press, I set up my RCBS powder measure. Which was way more consistent than using the Lee set-up. I was thinking, maybe the Lee Load All 2 is so basic, the manufacturer presupposes that people buying this unit do not already possess a powder measure.

Getting the crimp right was a learning curve. I found that I could do it by feel if I filled the powder side of the shotcup all the way with filler. This would provide resistance when the crimp reached the slug, where before I would occasionally just crush right past it. It was still a bit fiddly, and I'll get a different press if I reload 12 Gauge again in any quantity.
By now, I've moved up the curve on getting the crimp started and closed with more consistency.

My grandson Anthony and I were able to get to the trap field yesterday. We fired 20 gauge shells until we ran out of clay birds to throw. All of my home-made 20 gauge birdshot rounds went off.

Update. This afternoon, I got back on the Lee Load All 2 doing birdshot rounds. I modified and improved my technique. Instead of using the powder drop size as provided on the Lee press, I set up my RCBS powder measure. Which was way more consistent than using the Lee set-up. I was thinking, maybe the Lee Load All 2 is so basic, the manufacturer presupposes that people buying this unit do not already possess a powder measure.

By now, I've moved up the curve on getting the crimp started and closed with more consistency.
One thing that has helped me get consistent powder charges it to work the handles with purpose. snapping the slide from side to side gets the powder to settle in the measure. Moving the main operating lever with purpose gets the powder in the hopper to move also.

At your local trap club ask about reclaimed shot. It shoots very well, and cost is about half. DR

Yes, I think because it lacks an adjustable, positive stop. You just have to learn how deep to crimp it. I get much better crimps with an overshot card under the crimp.
I think it's the die, at least on this Version 1
I could never match the crimp quality of my buddy's MEC Jr.
I moved on to a Pacific (Hornady) 366 which is a self-indexer and a very good machine.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top