JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Slight redirection here...
Pretty much sold on getting a 650 very soon (been a Rock Chucker guy since the 70's). Plan on setting up for 3 or 4 calibers, the 4th being 45, all the others are small primers. From reading posts over the past year is seems like the primer size change is the most time consuming issue with the press. Here is the question part:

Doing the math, getting a Square Deal B in 45 auto is slightly more expensive than getting all the conversion parts and dies for the 650 (few hundred dollars but compared to the total, not that much). Thinking of ordering the 650 for the 3 small primer rounds and a SDB set up for 45. Am I an idiot, overthinking this or on to something? (Spouse is good with the first two answers.)
Sounds like a fairly reasonable approach to me, but it really depends on the volume and frequency of each caliber.

If you only load .45 occasionally, and are willing to do so in large batches, the caliber conversion might be the best option.

If you plan on bouncing back and forth between calibers a lot, then the SDB makes more sense.

The only drawback I see with the SDB is lack of a powder check system, and I'm not sure how easy it is to see into the case before seating the bullet. Otherwise, I've always liked the idea of a dedicated press for my favorite calibers.

Slight redirection here...
Pretty much sold on getting a 650 very soon (been a Rock Chucker guy since the 70's). Plan on setting up for 3 or 4 calibers, the 4th being 45, all the others are small primers. From reading posts over the past year is seems like the primer size change is the most time consuming issue with the press. Here is the question part:

Doing the math, getting a Square Deal B in 45 auto is slightly more expensive than getting all the conversion parts and dies for the 650 (few hundred dollars but compared to the total, not that much). Thinking of ordering the 650 for the 3 small primer rounds and a SDB set up for 45. Am I an idiot, overthinking this or on to something? (Spouse is good with the first two answers.)

I have two 550's for this reason. Changing the primer size is not that hard but it is a little time consuming. Sure is nice not having to worry about it though. :)

As for your final question....... I plead the 5th. I will not incriminate myself.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top