JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry, guys, I know this has been beaten to death, but I've decided that I need to get a progressive instead of another gun. Based on what research I've done so far, I'm pretty sure it'll be a Dillon, but now I need to really make up my mind between a 550 and a 650. I'm leaning heavily toward the 650, mostly because of the auto-indexing and the extra station for a powder check gadget. Problem is, I've seen lots of posts by guys saying they "upgraded" to a 650 from a 550, then went back to the 550. I don't compete, and our local range is currently shut down due to fire danger, so I don't get to shoot nearly as much as I'd like to. But I make up for some of that by shooting a LOT when I do get the chance to shoot, my last trip was kind of short, but I still managed to put a couple hundred rounds each of 9 mm and .45 ACP down range.

So help me make up my mind, pros and cons of the 550 vs. the 650. Cost is close enough between the two that I don't consider that an issue either way, and the auto-indexing alone is worth the difference IMO. So what am I missing from folks that are actually using one or both of these all the time? BTW, I'll most likely be loading mostly for handguns, but may be doing 5.56 if I end up hanging on to my AR. Thanks!

Dave

the extra die spot on the 650 can also accommodate an on - board case trimmer, nice to have for bottle necked rounds. At least that is my understanding.
I ran a 550 and sdb for 20 yuears, never felt the need for a powder check/cop. ymmv on that of course.

If you intend to use a case feeder and just load a couple cartridges I would get the 650. If you want to load many different ones, or don't plan on a case feeder, get a 550, without a case feeder they are the same speed. Auto indexing is not always that great, it makes it a pain to go back and fix jams, and caliber conversions for a 550 are cheaper.

I have used both and prefer the 550, if you are the type who wants to load a few hundred of one caliber then another each night, you will quickly dislike the 650, they are meant to be used to load 1000+ at a time.

As for the extra station, I solved that problem with a cheap endoscope camera so I can check powder levels.

20180628_222751.jpg 20180628_222802.jpg 20180628_222738.jpg

If you intend to use a case feeder and just load a couple cartridges I would get the 650. If you want to load many different ones, or don't plan on a case feeder, get a 550, without a case feeder they are the same speed. Auto indexing is not always that great, it makes it a pain to go back and fix jams, and caliber conversions for a 550 are cheaper.

I have used both and prefer the 550, if you are the type who wants to load a few hundred of one caliber then another each night, you will quickly dislike the 650, they are meant to be used to load 1000+ at a time.

As for the extra station, I solved that problem with a cheap endoscope camera so I can check powder levels.
Great info
I don't own a Dillon (yet) but have 6 progressives, some red, some green, each setup for one pistol caliber, and can offer some info on what I've learned about progressives in general.
I try and keep what my left hand does during a cycle to one thing...either placing a bullet or placing a case/no indexing, and my right hand never leaves the lever.
I bought one (used) press that didn't auto-index, and quickly converted it.

I feed bullets with Hornady bullet feeder dies (Mr. BF seem to be better) and long prefilled tubes, but that requires a dedicated station.
Cases can be fed with tubes too, without a collator, if adding a case feeder is simple, it's my preference over a bullet feeder, one or the other works for me.
:D

At the moment I have not upgraded to a big blue (Dillon) but I have talked with many Avid reloaders and most ALL prefer the 550 for the versatility of changing calibers.

When I sell all my Lee presses, my choice will be the 550.:)

Good luck with your decision.;)

Yeah, well, I thought I had it narrowed down to one or the other, but then was doing more research last night and stumbled across some posts about the Redding T-7 turret press. Based on some of what's been posted in this thread, as well as other info elsewhere, this might just be the best fit for my needs/wants. I could set it up with BOTH 9 and .45 dies, add the case activated linkage to my Hornady powder measure, and be good to go, whether I wanted to load 20 or 200 at a shot. No, it wouldn't be as fast as the 650, but once I got my routine down, it would be way faster than my Rockchucker. And even after adding a couple of extras, it still comes in at less than half what the 650 would be. Also better for load work-ups, and that would still leave the RC for precision rifle. I still need to do some more research, but I'm leaning away from the Dillon for now. Later.

Dave

550 cheaper easier caliber conversion. Auto indexing is not needed. As your right
hand reaches for a piece of brass left hand rotates turret and sets bullet. :rolleyes: You
can use the powder thrower or weigh each powder charge. I load for 5 different
pistol calibers and 6 different rifle calibers. Excellent service from Dillon replacing
broken parts over the last 25 years of ownership.:D:D

Yeah, well, I thought I had it narrowed down to one or the other, but then was doing more research last night and stumbled across some posts about the Redding T-7 turret press. Based on some of what's been posted in this thread, as well as other info elsewhere, this might just be the best fit for my needs/wants. I could set it up with BOTH 9 and .45 dies, add the case activated linkage to my Hornady powder measure, and be good to go, whether I wanted to load 20 or 200 at a shot. No, it wouldn't be as fast as the 650, but once I got my routine down, it would be way faster than my Rockchucker. And even after adding a couple of extras, it still comes in at less than half what the 650 would be. Also better for load work-ups, and that would still leave the RC for precision rifle. I still need to do some more research, but I'm leaning away from the Dillon for now. Later.
Dave
Well, That changes everything...

My other responses were based on your press choice being a Dillon.
For pistol I don't see needing the strength of a Redding T-7, and because 9mm and traditional 45acp use different size primers, so some change-over needs to be done, even with 7 stations.
I suggest you look into Lee Turret presses if that's the direction you are headed now.
LEE CLASSIC CAST TURRET PRESS
LEE 4 HOLE TURRET PRESS W/QUICK DISABLE AUTO INDEX
Both less than $100, and you could buy either a Lee auto drum or Lee Pro auto disc for trouble free charging.
Read the reviews, watch the vids,

Last Edited:

Dave
For 9mm and 45 the Dillon 550 will give you a loaded round with every stroke of the handle.
Four strokes with the T-7??:eek::eek::eek: I learned a long time ago 9mm and 45 need to seat
and taper crimp on two separate stages to load reliable semi auto ammo. 357/44
works fine to seat and roll crimp on the same stage of the press. Do you set
the Hornady powder thrower up and charge all the cases at one time? Seems like a lot
more time involved?o_O

For 9mm and 45 the Dillon 550 will give you a loaded round with every stroke of the handle.
Four strokes with the T-7??:eek::eek::eek: I learned a long time ago 9mm and 45 need to seat
and taper crimp on two separate stages to load reliable semi auto ammo. 357/44
works fine to seat and roll crimp on the same stage of the press. Do you set
the Hornady powder thrower up and charge all the cases at one time? Seems like a lot
more time involved?o_O
It's amazing how much ammo you can make with a loaded round dropping off the press with every pull. It's not as tiring. I have a LCT that I have used for years and it is very versatile and makes great ammo. I can crank out quite a lot on the LCT, but I picked up a breech lock progressive press for doing bigger runs and it's made life a lot easier. I find that my overall quality on larger runs is a bit better because I'm not pushing as fast to get to the end of the run. Once it's set up it's just a lot easier. I don't shoot in competitions, but off and on I do shoot quite a bit and the progressive allows me to keep up much better. It's super easy to come home from work and knock out 150 rounds in short order if it's set up.

It's amazing how much ammo you can make with a loaded round dropping off the press with every pull. It's not as tiring. I have a LCT that I have used for years and it is very versatile and makes great ammo. I can crank out quite a lot on the LCT, but I picked up a breech lock progressive press for doing bigger runs and it's made life a lot easier. I find that my overall quality on larger runs is a bit better because I'm not pushing as fast to get to the end of the run. Once it's set up it's just a lot easier. I don't shoot in competitions, but off and on I do shoot quite a bit and the progressive allows me to keep up much better. It's super easy to come home from work and knock out 150 rounds in short order if it's set up.
OK, all right
You need to tell us all about that new Breech Lock Progressive, do you prime on it?
Find a thread on this press or start one, and add your experiences!
we want to know,
Edit: You may have already posted a review of the breech lock progressive and I may have missed it, or forgot I read it...:(
Looking forward to hiding my own Easter eggs next spring:confused:

Last Edited:
Well, That changes everything...

My other responses were based on your press choice being a Dillon.
For pistol I don't see needing the strength of a Redding T-7, and because 9mm and traditional 45acp use different size primers, so some change-over needs to be done, even with 7 stations.
I suggest you look into Lee Turret presses if that's the direction you are headed now.
LEE CLASSIC CAST TURRET PRESS
LEE 4 HOLE TURRET PRESS W/QUICK DISABLE AUTO INDEX
Both less than $100, and you could buy either a Lee auto drum or Lee Pro auto disc for trouble free charging.
Read the reviews, watch the vids,

At the moment I love my Lee Turret & Pro 1000 presses. I guess it's like comparing a Pinto to a Cadillac...:D

OK, all right
You need to tell us all about that new Breech Lock Progressive, do you prime on it?
Find a thread on this press or start one, and add your experiences!
we want to know,
Edit: You may have already posted a review of the breech lock progressive and I may have missed it, or forgot I read it...:(
Looking forward to hiding my own Easter eggs next spring:confused:
The short review is that it's simple to run and easy to set up. I do prime on the press. It seems to work just fine the feel isn't bad. For a hobby shooter like me it's perfect. If I was a more serious shooter I'd probably get a 550. Maybe when I retire.

The short review is that it's simple to run and easy to set up. I do prime on the press. It seems to work just fine the feel isn't bad. For a hobby shooter like me it's perfect. If I was a more serious shooter I'd probably get a 550. Maybe when I retire.
Thanks for the reply
Do you use the case feeder, how's that working for you?
Sorry for the thread drift,
:oops:

I helped a friend at work setup his 550. Very nice press. After he tried my 650 he sold his 550 to our boss and bought a 650.

After using my 650 for 20 years I don't see how I would be happy with anything else. I have heads for 7 different calibers and switch over is just a couple of minutes. I use the extra station for a RCBS lube / decapper die (in the first station). I love the Lee collet crimp dies for crimping in the last station and have them for most ever caliber. Loading pistol calibers is incredibly fast with the lube die even though I use carbide sizing dies the lube makes each stroke so much smoother and faster.

If you can afford the 650 I would highly recommend buying the 650. The 550 is still a great press though if funds are short. I would recommend either Dillon over a turret press.

I run two 650s one pistol one rifle. Only use my single stage for small batch precision ammo or load development. everything else gets run through the twins. I have tool heads set for specific projectiles per caliber which are simple to change out and make my reloading efficient.

ETA: Go with a 650 you wont regret it and if you do they retain a good amount of value on the secondary market.

Last Edited:
I have had the Dillon Case feeder on my 650 for 15 years now. It has always worked excellent. The ONLY case that I have had a problem with is .30 carbine brass because of their long narrow format. I had to put a spacer under the small pistol case feeder plate to get them to feed properly. After that I have never had any issues with the case feeder on any other cases (9mm, .45 acp, 50ae, 6.5x55, 8x57, .308, 30-06, hmm... seems like I am forgetting one).

I could not afford the case feeder when I initially purchased my 650... I am so happy I bought it later when I could afford it!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads