JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A unjust law is a unjust law.
Or more accurately in our case , more gun laws / restrictions means more laws or restrictions to be broken or ignored by folks.
Not saying that anyone should do anything illegal , just that it seems to happen no matter what gun law or restriction is in place.
Andy

I never had any thing like this back when I was a kid, But it would have been cool if we did! My parents were the sort to host something like this back in the day, but we never had reason to do this! Fast forward, My two boys were told that if they wanted to "go to a Party" that it would be cool if they brought the party to our place and we would watch over things, Like wise, There friends parents had the same idea! We hosted a few of these and all went well! I ( like my parents) thought it would be better if there was to be drinking, that it would be best if we were in control, That way there would be no drinking and driving, no sex, no over doing it, and such! I figured my boys were going to try things no matter what we said, so it would be better if we had things at our house and were in control! My boys were not into the Mall thing, So we never had any of that to deal with, but those places are a death trap in the making!

I never had any thing like this back when I was a kid, But it would have been cool if we did! My parents were the sort to host something like this back in the day, but we never had reason to do this! Fast forward, My two boys were told that if they wanted to "go to a Party" that it would be cool if they brought the party to our place and we would watch over things, Like wise, There friends parents had the same idea! We hosted a few of these and all went well! I ( like my parents) thought it would be better if there was to be drinking, that it would be best if we were in control, That way there would be no drinking and driving, no sex, no over doing it, and such! I figured my boys were going to try things no matter what we said, so it would be better if we had things at our house and were in control! My boys were not into the Mall thing, So we never had any of that to deal with, but those places are a death trap in the making!

I grew up in Oregon City, not a lot to do late at night back in the early 80's. We had a skating rink that was pretty popular with the local kids. They would host all-night skate parties - I attended several myself. Kids would be dropped off, as I recall, around 10pm and picked up by their parents around 6am. The doors were locked the whole time, no one in and no one out during that time. And, of course, no cell phones back then, yet some how we all managed to survive. Those were some good times, simple, fun, good times.

Last Edited:
"happened around 12:30 a.m. in the parking lot during a "Swimsuit Glow Party" marketed at 12- to 17-year-olds.

My bet would be some idiot mom that allowed her 12 year old daughter to attend a post midnight "swimsuit glow Party" caught an "affiliated" 17 year old gangbanger messing with her "Angel" in the parking lot, dragged her home, told boyfriend/Dad/brother... and he came lookin' for "Prince Charming".

Last Edited:

Another brother from another mother^^*.

We had/have the same idea with our kid. Host the parties and have the things kids want to do here. Trampoline, pool, fire pit and we were very young when we had our daughter so we are not super out of touch with what's the newest craze or fad. Pokemon NO:(.

We have straight out told her most of her older life that if she decides to experiment with alcohol or recreational drugs that we would be there for her and would rather she try things at home where she is safe and has support.

Neither my wife nor I drink, smoke or use drugs but dabbled as teens so are not experts but have tried enough to be educated about it. We have liquor for the 2 times a year my wife wants a drink (2 and she is sloshed lolz) and for the occasional guest possibly but it's all unlocked and it has never been an issue in our house. <<<other people may need to do things differently - all kids are unique>>>. It's just what has worked for us..

Compared to my wife and I as teens I'm not sure how we lucked out like we have.

Last Edited:
When my son was a teenager, it was before facebook and they were on myspace. I hacked his 'space' and monitored the goings on, including the messaging. Of course I saw stuff that I did not approve of, like stuff I did when I was his age, but I did not say anything. I was watching for serious stuff that really needed my intervention like crack or other dangerous things. Fortunately, he and his friends did not cross the line.
If I had a young daughter and she wanted to go to a midnight swim suit party, I would not say a word. My wife would have said enough for both of us. :eek:

When my son was a teenager, it was before facebook and they were on myspace. I hacked his 'space' and monitored the goings on, including the messaging. Of course I saw stuff that I did not approve of, like stuff I did when I was his age, but I did not say anything. I was watching for serious stuff that really needed my intervention like crack or other dangerous things. Fortunately, he and his friends did not cross the line.
If I had a young daughter and she wanted to go to a midnight swim suit party, I would not say a word. My wife would have said enough for both of us. :eek:

I don't have the temperament for it but my wife had the rule that if my daughter wanted an account then she had to be "friends" with her or whatnot so she can see everything her friends and she are posting.

Thwy are still on each other's accounts:)

Yes they will, if you lock em in their rooms they will crawl out the windows. Most kids nowadays are mindless drones and their parents are their BFF's.....:confused:

Not saying yours are this way at all but it happens to the best of us.
trust me, i climbed out my window many times. my dad found me once. when i got in the truck his model 94 30-30 was in there too.

Joe13 that's exactly how it went down at our house! The kids had food and other things to drink so no one felt they had to drink beer or booze. We had fun games and music going and a place to sleep when the fun came to an end! We even had the parents of one of my sons best friends stay with us a few times to help, and that was a hoot for all! We also had a set up where any girls had a ladies only sleeping area and none of the boys were allowed any where near! Made sure there was a good breakfast on the morning before the pick up, and we had a standing deal with parents that we would drive the kids home after if needed, No one would be driving untill sobered up, keys and cars were kept until later!

Police are now saying that this is not a "terrorist" incident, yet no motive has been released.

My next question, if they have no motive, how can they be certain it was not a 'terror' incident??? Or are they simply jumping out with that statement so it doesn't further make the anti-gunners gathering in Philly look even worse during their already messed up DNC this week?

That said, this 'incident' sure is well-timed to try and get attention off the whole Debbie Wasserman Schultz issue with the DNC. Looks like things are already looking worse for the DNC this week than it did last week at the RNC.
if there was no motive then nothing would have happened

I don't want to downplay anything but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this "teen swimsuit glow party" at a nightclub thing?

I don't want to downplay anything but I'm still trying to wrap my head around this "teen swimsuit glow party" at a nightclub thing?

I'm not sure I agree personally with the 'taste' they used or theme but kids are dressing like hookers by 12 now (it's hard to find trendy clothes that are more conservative - at least that's what my kid ran into).

It is very hard to find safe things they 'want' to do so I do applaud the bar for organizing an event for young people and providing security to keep them safe (apparently adequate enough to keep things from popping off until parents were picking up the kids at midnight - I like that they used actuall Armed security and not flashlight jockeys, no offense to unarmed guards at all).

I volunteer at a comic con type convention and the dress rules are basically 'needs to cover what a swimsuit will - bikini style' and some kids wear way to little or in a way I wouldn't send my own kid out in and that's at a G-rated event and there are hundreds of kids dressed this way out of thousands of attendees.

In summery the theme may have been less then desirable but I think we need more protected events like this everywhere as an option.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top