JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thinkimg of doing away with my AR15 DI rifles and having one alternative rifle. Not sure which to go with. Have looked at Scar 16s, Bushmaster ACR, LWRC, Mini14, SIG MCX and others. This rifle would be to defend my family in a time of disaster or urban unrest. Loking to simplify things. Thanks for your suggestions.
1D994D6C-86DF-4938-891C-29F46E4B4764.jpeg

Last Edited:
Been sick for awhile with MS and getting harder with upkeep on DI system. Not using all my AR's any longer and been suggested to sell all and simply with one. Want to stay with .223/5.56 as plenty ammo and mags.

I'd look at a tavor. I think the ARs are your best bet but you know you better than I do.

Reason I like the tavor is balance. You keep everything close and as you have some physical issues this might make things. Better for you.

I'd also think about moving to shotguns or pistols.

Good luck and good health.

AUG, the king of the bullpups. ;)

Does it have to be 5.56 specifically? Cause an AK or SKS would be something nice that's different. Or a FAL, or M14, or any rifle really.

Wow that's a broad net to cast. Are you looking to just find a different genre? Try the AK's. Can't go wrong with a solid WASR 10/63. I would drag that through the dirt and depend on it before an AR platfom. Problem is that the AK's are getting pricey lately for some reason. The ammo isn't and is plentiful though. At the moment, the world is your oyster as far as variety goes. There's never one rifle that will do it all. While some come pretty close, there's always other things to consider. Set a baseline or two for your decision making process. Price, ease of use, parts availability, ammo availability.

Tavor owner says go with a Tavor. SAR or X95, handle both and choose the one you prefer. Same ammo, same mags, but 8 inches shorter and balanced very well.

Red dot or 1x6 or 1x8 optic all work very well on it, Streamlight protac series lights mount nicely on them too and then you have a very compact .223 bullpup that can be used in a variety of roles.

Depending upon the distance you would potentially need for a defensive long arm, do not rule out FN PS90. Esp given possible physical limitations.

I saw a lady at the last competition I was at using that. No slight intended. It looked very light. Internet confirms it, 6.3 pounds. If a caliber change or accessory changes didn't matter it would seem like a decent ultralight miniature carbine to consider if those factors work with the intended use. Personally it's too niche for me especially when compared to the Tavor, but then again I am not dealing with any ailment that impedes me using a rifle, if I was, I would get/use whatever I could effectively manipulate and carry despite my ailments.

I also kinda lean towards the bull pup design. Like said above the Styer AUG is a great piece. I used to own one my self. A slightly cheaper version would be the American made MSAR. Which I do own now. If you are looking for something short. A proven battle rifle would be the HK53 SBR. Sticking with your .223. They do make .223 AK rifles and pistols, and the Ruger Mini 14 come to mind also.

Probably better off just getting the AUG at this point to be honest. Think the company that made the MSAR is defunct now.

Yes that is true. With a slight modification. An AUG trigger pack will work in a MSAR. The barrels will not inter change though. The later version that takes AR mags are pretty reliable. I have at least a 1,000 rounds down range with out 1 hang up of any kind. Plus it will take "ALL" the mags you have already from your AR platform. With an AUG or the early version of the MSAR you have to get rifle specific mags also. Just a thought. There is parts out there...................Plus AUG's are much more money.:rolleyes:

Plus it will take "ALL" the mags you have already from your AR platform.
Steyr has a NATO stock, so there's the option of an AUG that accepts AR magazines (I did not get this version despite having AR mags already). While there may be parts available for it, it lacks any factory support.

I saw a lady at the last competition I was at using that. No slight intended. It looked very light. Internet confirms it, 6.3 pounds. If a caliber change or accessory changes didn't matter it would seem like a decent ultralight miniature carbine to consider if those factors work with the intended use. Personally it's too niche for me especially when compared to the Tavor, but then again I am not dealing with any ailment that impedes me using a rifle, if I was, I would get/use whatever I could effectively manipulate and carry despite my ailments.

No slight taken. They are great personal defense weapons, super easy follow up shots.

Just really depends upon what specifics as far as distances the OP is thinking on needing a rifle for is all.

We can do repetitive off hand man sized at 200 yards no problem. That's really the edge of the cartridges ballistic usefulness though. Up to 100/150 yards and they are perfect. Ammo is pricey, compared w/5.56, but currently runs about $.35-.38 per round for factory FN shipped.

None of those choices will be any different in "upkeep".

If anything, just for sheer comanality of parts, AR wins hands down.

I own an MCX, have used a SCAR, CZ805, Beretta ACX, AK( own), FS2000 and afew others in rifle competitions.....if you want "not an AR", but .223 and AR mags, CZ805 is my 1st pic, then SCAR.

For complete opposite of what you asked, agree with the PS90...makes a good bunny gun too.

As far as durability and power in a small package and Ak-47why I realize its not the traditional tactical.
It will go thru allot and still come out functioning as it should. I love the AR platform, But really like the 7.62x39 round so much so, I have several including a bolt action and find it a reliable and functional but of course this no where near modern technology but what it does has worked and worked well for along long time.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top