JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Another selection. Consider the USGI M1 Carbine. Expensive today. More bucks now than a good AR15 rifle.. Our reasoning with this light rifle is that our family and friends already own many. Many. Some were purchased 50+ years ago for $25 bucks each.

Our costs today are very low. USGI spare parts available. Easy to master the platform. Maintenance and repair easy. Anybody from 8 to 88 can employ this rifle. Uncle Sam made millions. Seem to work OK. The concern today is the purchase expense. Collectible.

Because of the lack of "assault weapon" features and the wood butt stock, the USGI M1 Carbine sometimes falls through draconian State and Local gun restrictions. Ammo kinda spendy. The USGI M2 Carbine is sometimes doable. Your gun laws may vary greatly.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws, NFA Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. The NFA and BATFE rules and regulations regarding the select fire M2 Carbine are quite interesting. A steep legal learning curve is required with the M2. Much fun to learn.

I clean my AR's about once a year. I can hear old old platoon sergeant yelling at me right now.

I cleaned my AR that I took to the Cerberus training event back in August just a few weeks ago. I fired another 400 rounds before I cleaned it too, I have a small bottle of SLIP EWL 2000 and put a squirts in BCG and pull the charging handle back a few time and I am ready to go. I went more than 1000 rounds. I did a through clean I took the bolt apart and used my CATM4 cleaning tool as well.

I'd look at a tavor. I think the ARs are your best bet but you know you better than I do.

Reason I like the tavor is balance. You keep everything close and as you have some physical issues this might make things. Better for you.

I'd also think about moving to shotguns or pistols.

Good luck and good health.

I have a Tavor and it weight quite a bit more than an AR 15 does:eek:

Had to use AR15s in the Army, then we got M16s. Tho we have a few for sport shooting.
When It comes down to live or die. Ill tell you what a smart WWII Vet told me.
"When in a jam, grab an M1 Garand, It wont" Thanks Dad

When they come for them, mine will be out on the front lawn. They can have them
My M1 will be my main squeeze.
8 rounds of 30-06, NO magazine for them to take away. Way nastier than just about any AR out there, and flat out shoots them.
Oh yeah, and no one can call it an assault anything. Like General Patton said:
"Best battle implement ever made"

Remember, it's not the arrow, it's the indian.
A lot of fuss budgeting of "too dirty" "too this too that" reminds me of the princess and the pea for f's sake.
sheesh

"What's the best rifle? The one that you have"

If you're moving away from the AR platform then I recommend just focusing on what you enjoy. I bet dollars to donuts there are plenty of lever action cowboy shooters out there that can run circles around someone with an AR that just keeps it in their closet.

There are plenty of great suggestions on this thread; but ultimately go with what you enjoy so you can be proficient, safe, and accurate.
ElementaryPaltryBalloonfish-max-1mb.gif

Safe shooting!

My vote would be a high end LWRC, LMT, POF, piston AR. The Piston system sure keeps the rifle running clean compared to a DI. I own many flavors of AR's but my LWRC and POF are absolute keepers. Saying that I also own AK'S, Bren 805, Arx100 but IMO those are nice also but not my choice in a SHTF situation. My .02 offcourse, yours may be different.

Thinkimg of doing away with my AR15 DI rifles and having one alternative rifle. Not sure which to go with. Have looked at Scar 16s, Bushmaster ACR, LWRC, Mini14, SIG MCX and others. This rifle would be to defend my family in a time of disaster or urban unrest. Loking to simplify things. Thanks for your suggestions.
View attachment 430675
Everyone has different preferences, but for me for the type of use u r talking about I would get something with a folding or collapsible stock/brace and a relatively short barrel. It's a quite different storage and carry scenario vs storing at home in a rack or safe and driving to range in a car for example. A small pistol with folding brace can easily be carried or stored in a bug out or other bag.

A gun without a buffer tube is easy to get a folding or collapsible stock on. Or u can use a law tactical adapter to add a folding stock to a gun with a buffer tube.

Also I would stick with a commonly available cartridge.

A sig MCX is a neat concept. I would try one if it wasn't for a distrust with Sig... Maybe in time I'll say F it and get one.

For now I'm sticking with my Arsenal 106.

I hear Sig is having trouble with the drop test on their P320 guns--Guess all that price cutting turned it into a big, expensive Hi Point 9mm:eek:
The gen 1 mcx had some issues they say they fixed. Maybe it is fixed and the new ones are good to go. Tbh the only interest I had was it had a folding stock, 5.56, and didn't need the tube.

My 106 met the criteria so I don't really need a MCX.

B7E0C2EE-037D-4E51-8D0A-BFE46A909025.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR