JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A sig MCX is a neat concept. I would try one if it wasn't for a distrust with Sig... Maybe in time I'll say F it and get one.

For now I'm sticking with my Arsenal 106.

Sooo......I had one that I gave a chance for awhile....then Sig went and "updated" them again. I don't like having guns I can't reliably get spare parts for. They are a decent design, if Sig would just pick a "gen what ever" and stick with production.

Sooo......I had one that I gave a chance for awhile....then Sig went and "updated" them again. I don't like having guns I can't reliably get spare parts for. They are a decent design, if Sig would just pick a "gen what ever" and stick with production.
Dang. Guess its AK for me then. I can at least fit a galil extractor if I need spares.

I hear Sig is having trouble with the drop test on their P320 guns--Guess all that price cutting turned it into a big, expensive Hi Point 9mm:eek:

I think sig has adopted the all-to-common approach of trying to be the first with new technology. They release the product and then work out all the bugs. Software companies do it all the time and some car makers such as Vw and others do it also.

They don't want to delay release because then the tech will be "old tech" by the time the product is out.

Kinda sucks really because sigs r great guns if u buy it after the bugs are worked out. I wish more companies would actually do the beta testing themselves instead of letting the customers do it. But that is the reality nowadays I guess.

At least we have lots of guns and gun companies to choose from. That is the best situation for all of us. We can vote with our wallets so to speak.

I think sig has adopted the all-to-common approach of trying to be the first with new technology. They release the product and then work out all the bugs. Software companies do it all the time and some car makers such as Vw and others do it also.

They don't want to delay release because then the tech will be "old tech" by the time the product is out.

Kinda sucks really because sigs r great guns if u buy it after the bugs are worked out. I wish more companies would actually do the beta testing themselves instead of letting the customers do it. But that is the reality nowadays I guess.

At least we have lots of guns and gun companies to choose from. That is the best situation for all of us. We can vote with our wallets so to speak.

My gunsmith told me Sig's P320 was working perfectly, but they cheapened the design a bit to sell it to the military, and as a result many fail the drop test :eek: Idk if he knows that or just made it up

Last Edited:
Choices in no particular order"

M1 Carbine. Simple, low recoil, battle proven. Stay away from non GI rifles.

Ruger Mini 14. Light weight, low recoil, non threatening profile.

AKM series. Run well and run great. I have a Chicom and a Romo SAR3. Downfall is expensive mags.

AKM series. Run well and run great. I have a Chicom and a Romo SAR3. Downfall is expensive mags.

Interesting comments. It seems to me that any visible rifle is threatening while a non-visible gun such as a short-barreled pistol with folding brace under coat or in a pack is not threatening. I recently stumbled upon a homeless guy beating a naked woman and a local gov. person (not LEO) came by. No one even knew I had a pistol caliber carbine with me and therefore no one was scared of it. But I felt a lot of peace of mind that it was there if it was needed.

M1 carbine has lovers and haters that's for sure. Interesting video on the gun here:

Ken Hackathorn on the M1 Carbine: Reputation vs Reality

Last Edited:
Thinkimg of doing away with my AR15 DI rifles and having one alternative rifle. Not sure which to go with. Have looked at Scar 16s, Bushmaster ACR, LWRC, Mini14, SIG MCX and others. This rifle would be to defend my family in a time of disaster or urban unrest. Loking to simplify things. Thanks for your suggestions.
View attachment 430675

You will be back..... they always come back.....

Mags are more expensive for you than me... Weiger mags and the Romy clones are gonna be over $40, and I forget how much the Chinese mags go for.

For the 106 mags are a little cheaper, but the 106 can be converted to take AR mags. Though it requires fitting.

Speaking of alternatives...
This is my RDB-17.
Since I have got it last summer my Colt 6920 LE is collecting dust in a safe.
z-RaQfaMNzk.jpg

I likes me an AR and have several, and have gone thru several during my checkered career..... but for deadnuts reliability under all conditions (Which the AR15/16/M4 is NOT, and for simplicity of the system and the weapon, make mine an AK. Point well taken on the M1 Garand tho, hard-hitting and accurate, I wish I'd have kept mine:(. Also wish that I had gotten an AK in 5.56, but thats a whole nuther story...
FWIW I have talked to several ww2 vets who were in the Ardennes/Bulge Dec '44.. They have said that it was so cold:eek: that the Garand would freeze up sometimes. It is claimed that p*$$ing on the action would warm it up enuff to work:confused:, but Im not sure I believe that Old Vet's Story... anyways ya never hear about an AK going down in jungle, desert or arctic conditions..:D

if you want a pre-built. CMMG mutant gets my vote.

It's a hybrid of the AR and AK. fires 7.62x39 (cheap and plentiful), takes any AK-47 magazine, gas piston operated and AR platform for the most part, so you're already familiar with the majority of it.

if you want a pre-built. CMMG mutant gets my vote.

It's a hybrid of the AR and AK. fires 7.62x39 (cheap and plentiful), takes any AK-47 magazine, gas piston operated and AR platform for the most part, so you're already familiar with the majority of it.
Having owned a CMMG Mutant I would NOT recommend one at all. Plagued with issues mine was an absolute POS, and I would never trust it with guarding my family's life. The failures of this rifle are well documented all over the internet. Tho I own plenty of quality AK'S and really love them, they will take a back seat to my Piston LWRC as my goto.

Having owned a CMMG Mutant I would NOT recommend one at all. Plagued with issues mine was an absolute POS, and I would never trust it with guarding my family's life. The failures of this rifle are well documented all over the internet. Tho I own plenty of quality AK'S and really love them, they will take a back seat to my Piston LWRC as my goto.
good to know.

Never personally owned one. Do however own a DI 7.62x39 AR. downside is you need special magazines that aren't very common to find but are readily available if you order online or visit certain local gun stores that happen to carry them. upside is cheap ammo and that gun is extremely reliable. never had a single failure of any kind from it. Even when bump firing it from my hip it still runs 100% without any light strikes, jams, or FTL/FTB/FTE running the cheapest ammo I could get my hands on (wolf military classic 7.62x39 steel case JHP)

As for AR vs AK jamming reliability.. LOL wives tale. They will both jam and fail under horrendous conditions. As will any semi-automatic/full automatic weapon if you put rocks and mud inside the action of the rifle.

Now I will give the AK this: they're easier to field strip and get running again if you have oil and something to flush it out with... AR field stripping takes more time to get the firing pin and bolt off the carrier to clean them out.

Last Edited:
Speaking of alternatives...
This is my RDB-17.
Since I have got it last summer my Colt 6920 LE is collecting dust in a safe.
View attachment 532201
@surevaliance how does the trigger compare to your 6920?

This is a monumental weapon for me, it is the first bullpup and Kel-Tec product that has ever peaked my interest. Can't stand either. Not sure about that mag release execution.

This one did too and I like the mag release better...

Last Edited:
good to know.

Never personally owned one. Do however own a DI 7.62x39 AR. downside is you need special magazines that aren't very common to find but are readily available if you order online or visit certain local gun stores that happen to carry them. upside is cheap ammo and that gun is extremely reliable. never had a single failure of any kind from it. Even when bump firing it from my hip it still runs 100% without any light strikes, jams, or FTL/FTB/FTE running the cheapest ammo I could get my hands on (wolf military classic 7.62x39 steel case JHP)

As for AR vs AK jamming reliability.. LOL wives tale. They will both jam and fail under horrendous conditions. As will any semi-automatic/full automatic weapon if you put rocks and mud inside the action of the rifle.

Now I will give the AK this: they're easier to field strip and get running again if you have oil and something to flush it out with... AR field stripping takes more time to get the firing pin and bolt off the carrier to clean them out.
am going to add a 7.62x39 AR to my lineup as they are very reliable and share ammo with my AK'S that I stockpile ammo for. On the mutant I really wanted the rifle to be able to ne relied upon but it wasn't unfortunately. Also I completely agree on the AK vs AR thing, as they are both reliable and worth having both in your arsenal. The statement that an AK isn't accurate and the AR isnt reliable has been proven false many times over, but there are those that are too stubborn to see the light

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top