JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I grew up in Phoenix and it's been sprawling for awhile but I've noticed a change in the last 30 years. My parent's house was once considered on the edge of the city and now that edge is miles away.

Nights aren't as cool where they're at nor do they get as much rain as the outskirts. The heat island effect is exactly that: the city puts out so much heat that the rain doesn't condense enough to fall over the city...the clouds just float on by.

It definitely affects local weather and climate. For the worse, IMO.

I took a crap in Phoenix once. I could feel the heat radiating off the toilet water.

I have a 10 acre cactus farm in Tonopah, AZ. I took a leak outside and it evaporated before it could hit the ground.
Er, um, yea..............
Tonopah is Nevada, not Aridzonya!
1599793574907.png

Having many times worked on white rooftops on a hot sunny day, I'm not all that certain painting streets white as a means to circumvent thermodynamic laws is the answer.

The same people that push climate change theories won't let the forests be maintained to reduce the fuel load or thin them properly

I can tell you from the perspevtive of an Environmental Scientist, that ypu are partially right. You are correct in that 95% of the media and even people who would consider themselves "environmentalists" are not educated enough on the matter. Most folks can't explain why thinning or reducing fuel loads are beneficial to an ecosystem, or why hunting can be beneficial as well. But I can assure you that prescribed thinning, fire ecology, atmospheric science, and game managment are all core aspects of what is taught to the folks who are actually researching this stuff. It is pretty easy to see what old climates looked like. And they definitely do not look like current conditions, which is not a good thing for most living creatures.

Having many times worked on white rooftops on a hot sunny day, I'm not all that certain painting streets white as a means to circumvent thermodynamic laws is the answer.
There must be something to the color white reflecting heat. I have pigeon crap all over my cars and yet they remain unusually cool.

^^^But pigeon farts...you are close though
There is no heat generated from pigeon flatus. They are referred to by thermal engineers as "cold farts." If you can get a pigeon to fart directly onto your beer bottle, you will notice that the beverage is noticeably cooler. I always put a few pigeons in my ice chest before going out to the range and there's nothing better than a pigeon fart cooled adult beverage after a days shooting.

Any farmer will tell you that the earth will provide more than enough bounty as long as you respect the land and take care of it.

I think our thirst for unlimited growth has disrupted that harmony and we're paying the price.

You can call it climate change or whatever you want, but it's clear that humanity is taking a wrecking ball to our natural resources in the 20th/21st centuries.

It took us from the creation of homosapiens 300,000 years ago to the year ~1800 to reach 1 billion humans. It only took 123 years to go from 1 billion to 2 billion in world population. The next billion only took 33 years. Since then another billion has been added every ~13 years getting us to the 7.8 billion we're at right now.

We're being told to sell more, make more, buy more, eat more, spend more, etc., all in an effort to line someone else's pocket and all at the expense of the land that's supposed to house the next generations of our family.

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads