JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I had a Rabbit, it was a 1977, but due to the constant replacement parts it averaged to be a 1982 model by the time I sold it. The parts guys saw me so often they even stopped asking me what model and year - they had it memorized.

I had a Rabbit, it was a 1977, but due to the constant replacement parts it averaged to be a 1982 model by the time I sold it. The parts guys saw me so often they even stopped asking me what model and year - they had it memorized.

Mine was a 79. Total POS. Cable actuated clutch....the cable would break quite often. I ended up putting a 1.8L Scirocco engine in it. Then promptly blew it missing a shift. I wasn't very nice to that car, but hey.....it was my first. And last VW EVER. :D

Less rain fall, deserts growing, glaciers disappearing, it's pretty hard to deny something is going on. Other than for finger pointing causation isn't constructive. Mitigating the effects would be constructive, concentrating on what can be done rather than supporting conspiracy theory nutbars.
The story about sealing streets in L.A. makes sense, it likely stops the asphalt from outgassing too, improving air quality to a minor degree.

Point to me a time in history where climate did not change. You can't. Are you familiar with the Vostok ice core samples? Are you aware that some glaciers are growing? Do you realize what a harebrained idea it is to paint the streets white for a minuscule ROI? Estimates I heard were that it would cost a couple hundred thousand dollars per mile. Science is not a conspiracy theory.

To think that 7 billion somewhat stupid people don't make an impact on the climate is in itself ludicrous.
if you read the article, it's $40,000 a mile, cheaper than anything else that can be done to a road. The more that's done the cheaper it should get, economy of scale. Given that it's likely elastomer of a sort it will seal the roadway from moisture incursion, reducing deterioration and potholes. Even discounting the lower heat retention, it's still a win.

I find it funny that we went from Global Cooling, to Global Warming and now that both have been debunked its "Climate Change "

For anyone that cares to look it up , it's actually a few degrees cooler right now than it was when the Roman Empire held sway over the civilized world .

Also keep in mind that we've only had accurate climatological data being recorded scientifically for less than 200 years and carbon dating is not as accurate as many who embrace human climate change theory love to say it is.

Say it with me folks interglacial period , we are in one and during that time glaciers recede. It's not cow farts or other nonsense destroying the planet. Our climate is dynamic and is constantly in a state of change.

On another note ....

Who here beside me is old enough to remember being told in school as a lad that we were on the precipice of a new ice age and we were all going to be buried under ice caps by the 2000's ?

Who here is old enough to remember being told in school in the 1970's that we would run out of fossil fuels in less than 100 years ?

Funny that there is now lots of credible evidence to point to the fact that fossil fuels do not come from fossils after all and that they continue to be made by the earth as part of its geological dynamics and we keep discovering new proven reserves all over the world...

Point to me a time in history where climate did not change. You can't. Are you familiar with the Vostok ice core samples? Are you aware that some glaciers are growing? Do you realize what a harebrained idea it is to paint the streets white for a minuscule ROI? Estimates I heard were that it would cost a couple hundred thousand dollars per mile. Science is not a conspiracy theory.

Our problem is that there has been an ideological shift in the sciences . For something to be considered scientifically valid more than one scientist had to be able to run the same experiment and get the same results. We are also told that now no matter how unfounded or unprovable a theory is. That it does not matter it's still sound.

That is not at all how it is supposed to work. Sorta like the new math that these kids are being subjected to which makes them dumber not more competent mathematically.

o-COMMON-CORE-MATH-570.jpg tenor.gif

Funny that there is now lots of credible evidence to point to the fact that fossil fuels do not come from fossils after all and that they continue to be made by the earth as part of its geological dynamics and we keep discovering new proven reserves all over the world...
I have been saying this for about - well all my life now.

Simply compare the unknown gazillions of gallons of oil that has been pumped out of the ground in the last 150 +/- years to all the 'fossils' that have been found. The numbers don't quite add up.

Most fossils are found relatively close to the surface. Oil is uh, usually found a bit deeper.

How about the oil found beneath the bottom of the sea floor? How did the 'fossils' get there?

I read a while back (well quite a while) there is evidence to suggest oil fields are being replenished naturally.

Bottom line ? If there was a limited supply it would have no doubt been used up already, or in extremely short supply.

To think that 7 billion somewhat stupid people don't make an impact on the climate is in itself ludicrous.
if you read the article, it's $40,000 a mile, cheaper than anything else that can be done to a road. The more that's done the cheaper it should get, economy of scale. Given that it's likely elastomer of a sort it will seal the roadway from moisture incursion, reducing deterioration and potholes. Even discounting the lower heat retention, it's still a win.

I've actually worked for the city of Los Angeles where I built and installed a Parklette on a city street. Ive contacted striping and painting companies down there to paint sections of the streets. For a 40'x10' section the lowest bid was 4K. Nothing is done on time or under budget. Painting the road will be a nightmare when it rains or fluids build up. I can't see it aiding traction. That you think the already raped California taxpayer should foot the bill for this is telling.

I've actually worked for the city of Los Angeles where I built and installed a Parklette on a city street. Ive contacted striping and painting companies down there to paint sections of the streets. For a 40'x10' section the lowest bid was 4K. Nothing is done on time or under budget. Painting the road will be a nightmare when it rains or fluids build up. I can't see it aiding traction. That you think the already raped California taxpayer should foot the bill for this is telling.
Agreed! Try riding a motorcycle on street paint in the rain...boneheaded idea to paint streets.

Thank you. It's time to bust the fossil fuel myth. There are huge clouds of methane (natural gas) all over the universe. The moons of Saturn have seas of pure methane. No dinosaurs roamed there, as far as I know.

There's a lot of things that may be done. I'll keep going back to Phoenix...plant more paloverdes, use large gazebos on walkways. Use parkways and mesquitesor larger shade trees where possible, build with awnings, span shade awnings between buildings downtown.

All of this would help shade the ground and reduce ground temps during the day and heat release at night. All of this is already stuff being done on a small scale because large scale effort is generally blocked for ideological reasons.

Whether you agree that humans can cause global climate change or not doesn't really affect whether or not some of these ideas would be a net benefit for the people living in these cities or on a microclimate level. Can't we just look at this one idea at a time and stop letting ideology get in the way? Took less than a page for this thread to devolve ffs.

There's a lot of things that may be done. I'll keep going back to Phoenix...plant more paloverdes, use large gazebos on walkways. Use parkways and mesquitesor larger shade trees where possible, build with awnings, span shade awnings between buildings downtown.

All of this would help shade the ground and reduce ground temps during the day and heat release at night. All of this is already stuff being done on a small scale because large scale effort is generally blocked for ideological reasons.

Whether you agree that humans can cause global climate change or not doesn't really affect whether or not some of these ideas would be a net benefit for the people living in these cities or on a microclimate level. Can't we just look at this one idea at a time and stop letting ideology get in the way? Took less than a page for this thread to devolve ffs.

Thanks, well said.
It doesn't sound like that coating is actually "paint", but to be honest I have not researched it. Have you?
Pet peeve - bicyclists, until you start paying annual vehicle registration, decide which set of made up rules you want to obey on the streets, get insurance, just go away.

I visited central Florida a few times while my in-laws lived there. I noticed that the asphalt roads in most areas were a lighter gray color and would not heat up so bad during the day. I could only assume that the mixture of the road top was made that color on purpose. Seems like that color change could slowly be implemented upon resurfacing of roads that is already done every few years.

I too remember the Global Cooling cry...then it was Acid Rain was gonna end us, then the Ozone Layer, then Global Warming, then Global Climate Change. I am a man of science and evidence and facts...When it all became political, I believe, it caused many people to then make claims for political reasons and for the money to be made making claims that can not really be confirmed. People lost trust in the science when the numbers were fudged one way or the other by some so-called experts. Being a critical thinker and having a skeptic mind should not suspend when you happen to like the current trend.

Thanks, well said.
It doesn't sound like that coating is actually "paint", but to be honest I have not researched it. Have you?
Pet peeve - bicyclists, until you start paying annual vehicle registration, decide which set of made up rules you want to obey on the streets, get insurance, just go away.

You are aware that half of all road funding doesn't come from vehicle registration or fuel taxes right ? about one quarter is derived from fuel taxes with another quarter coming from vehicle registrations. The remainder comes from the general fund and funding initiatives such as bonds

True story not saying every single cyclist pays taxes , but for that matter many people driving cars do not either according to the IRS about 1/2 of the population does not pay income tax. There is a difference between filing a return and actually paying taxes ...

Status

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads