JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why shoot a coyote?

Feral dogs are more of a threat.

Here on the mountain, we have coyote, fox, cougar, bears and such. None of them bother me. City folks who move out here and let their cats outside do find out that their cats disappear eventually though, and we see a lot of missing kitty posters on telephone poles - sorry dude, your cat is in some coyote's tummy now.

Possum and raccoons are more of a nuisance than coyote, and feral dogs more of a threat.

I do not agree with the habit of killing every predator you see - they serve a good purpose in the ecosystem too.

Why shoot a coyote?

Feral dogs are more of a threat.

Here on the mountain, we have coyote, fox, cougar, bears and such. None of them bother me. City folks who move out here and let their cats outside do find out that their cats disappear eventually though, and we see a lot of missing kitty posters on telephone poles - sorry dude, your cat is in some coyote's tummy now.

Possum and raccoons are more of a nuisance than coyote, and feral dogs more of a threat.

I do not agree with the habit of killing every predator you see - they serve a good purpose in the ecosystem too.

On the mountain is one thing. In a densely populated area, IMO, if you see one in plain daylight, their population is probably high enough. I'm not one to kill indiscriminately, the coon family in my fir trees is safe. Nor would I give a hoot about coyotes out in the sticks. Here, there are enough families with kids <5 y.o. nearby that it does give me pause.
In my OP, "field" is misleading. It's the empty lot next to their house.

Last Edited:
I've seen coyotes in a field right by the airport and off fourth plain in the middle of vancouver.
Coyotes I enjoy to see.

Homeless people are the real problem making their way in vancouver.
Those could use a suppressed 300

On the mountain is one thing. In a densely populated area, IMO, if you see one in plain daylight, their population is probably high enough. I'm not one to kill indiscriminately, the coon family in my fir trees is safe. Nor would I give a hoot about coyotes out in the sticks. Here, there are enough families with kids <5 y.o. nearby that it does give me pause.
In my OP, "field" is misleading. It's the empty lot next to their house.
When was the last time a coyote attacked a human in your area?

There has only ever been one documented coyote on human attack in Oregon; in 2012 in a state park.

When you kill a coyote in any area, another coyote comes in from outside the area to replace it.

It is better to teach the coyote to fear humans with hazing than it is to kill them.

We had a coyote that liked to hang out in the wetland area behind our condo we rented in the Orchards area of Vancouver. We voiced our concern to management since it had come right up to our patio door a few times and my wife babysat for a friend of ours so we had our daughter and our friends two toddlers. They told us that they couldn't(probably wouldn't) do anything unless it attacked a dog or something. My wife called a company that traps and releases coyotes and they told us since we were renters and not owners, they couldn't come out unless they were hired by the owners or management. They did suggest though to make load noises etc to make sure it had a fear of us when it saw us. I had a small spring powered pellet pistol and shot at a few times. It didn't hurt it as I have been hit with it before and it feels like someone just flicked their finger at me. After a couple days of scaring it like that, it would take off running when it saw anyone or heard a slider door open.

As long as they know to run away from me and mine so we are safe, they can hunt all the little critters they want.

A couple were out back last night barking like dogs trying to lure my dogs into the woods. I shoot on sight.
I hear them all the time down in the gully below my house.

They are talking to each other, not trying to lure dogs.

The local dogs know better - usually.

Cats on the other hand, go missing from time to time - the ones suburbanites bring out with them and let them wander loose because it is the countryside and they think that makes it safer. :rolleyes:

Shooting a predator rarely helps, and usually harms the ecosystem.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top