JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
End of the year, I'm looking at getting 2 more rifles, one will be a bolt action 22lr to supress for general varmints.

The other I'm thinking a Henry Model X in 45lc as it the only model x in stock at the store I go too at the moment..

45lc being an old versatile cartridge from what I've read, naturally subsonic, but can be loaded hot to have quite the bang..

I'm not into reloading yet, and I keep seeing lots of people still doing 300bo builds.

I guess I'm wanting to know, if I go with the lever in 45lc, would a subsonic 300bo the same basic performance as a subsonic cartridge when compared to the 45lc?

I'm not trying to have 1 of every caliber although it feels like I am sometimes, if I grab the 45lc, will the ballistics of the 300bo be on par with the 45lc cartridge or is there a reason to get a 300bo at some point down the road???

45 Colt carbine is one of my favorites. Mine is a Marlin 94. What I like about it is that it can shoot a 160 gr bullet that recoils like a 22 mag, all the way up to a 325gr bullet loaded to the lower end of 45-70 power. [ think trapdoor loads]
Works on anything from rabbits and squirrels to bears. [ or a T rex if they ever make a comeback]. DR

300blk and 45LC shoot similar weight subsonics (45 being a touch heavier) however the BC on the 300 pills will be far better than the flat nose, allowing better trajectory out to 200+ yds with the right BDC reticle. If shooting animals only within 100yds, the 45 has a distinct advantage of a bigger meplat and wound channel, because short of very expensive prefragmented rounds, neither is going to expand at subsonic velocities. The 300blk has the additional advantage of shooting supersonic if your rifling is not overtwisted for lighter projectiles.

Then it comes down to what kind of rifle do you want… lever gun, or bolt action/AR.
Either caliber suppresses well enough, but 300blk is quieter. Cost of ammo or components should also be considered. Both calibers are spendy on the shelf, and reloading for either is pretty cheap, especially with powder coated bullets. If you haven't had the displeasure of making 300blk brass from 556, I don't recommend it.

45 Colt carbine is one of my favorites. Mine is a Marlin 94. What I like about it is that it can shoot a 160 gr bullet that recoils like a 22 mag, all the way up to a 325gr bullet loaded to the lower end of 45-70 power. [ think trapdoor loads]
Works on anything from rabbits and squirrels to bears. [ or a T rex if they ever make a comeback]. DR
I now have 3 levers but since one is a plinker 22lr, 2 center-fire levers. 1st one in 44mag, New one in 45lc. Next one if I can get it will be 45-70 followed by 30-30, and 357 is the last one. About the only platforms I'm wanting to do the series...

Do plan on getting various cans to suppress them for the ones that can go Subsonic..

I now have 3 levers but since one is a plinker 22lr, 2 center-fire levers. 1st one in 44mag, New one in 45lc. Next one if I can get it will be 45-70 followed by 30-30, and 357 is the last one. About the only platforms I'm wanting to do the series...

Do plan on getting various cans to suppress them for the ones that can go Subsonic..
I live in CA where a can is not an option. I just like lever guns because they are so easy to carry, and handy in close quarters or heavy brush.
I do have a falling block 22 lr that with subsonic ammo is as quiet as a can. it has a 29" barrel. DR

300blk and 45LC shoot similar weight subsonics (45 being a touch heavier) however the BC on the 300 pills will be far better than the flat nose, allowing better trajectory out to 200+ yds with the right BDC reticle. If shooting animals only within 100yds, the 45 has a distinct advantage of a bigger meplat and wound channel, because short of very expensive prefragmented rounds, neither is going to expand at subsonic velocities. The 300blk has the additional advantage of shooting supersonic if your rifling is not overtwisted for lighter projectiles.

Then it comes down to what kind of rifle do you want… lever gun, or bolt action/AR.
Either caliber suppresses well enough, but 300blk is quieter. Cost of ammo or components should also be considered. Both calibers are spendy on the shelf, and reloading for either is pretty cheap, especially with powder coated bullets. If you haven't had the displeasure of making 300blk brass from 556, I don't recommend it.
drstrangelove's post sums up my experience pretty well, except for the part about making 300BLK brass from 556 - I skipped this step and just bought BLK brass when I started with this caliber. And 45 Colt is also one of my favorites, as is 44 mag, in a carbine.

You noted that you are not into reloading yet. Feeding either of these with factory ammo does add up. I do reload, and have several handgun caliber carbines that I shoot suppressed. Reloading if you are so inclined, allows you to tailor a suppressed load to work well in these applications. I used to have a 45 colt lever threaded (still have one that isn't threaded), currently have a couple 44 mags, a couple 38/357s, and a 9mm carbine. Also have a bolt in 300 BLK. I enjoy them all suppressed, but if I was doing it over again, I would probably skip the BLK as I find that I don't shoot it as often as the others. One reason is that I find it slightly easier to reload ammo for the pistol calibers - straight wall cases with carbide sizing dies and no need to lube them vs. a bottleneck rifle case that I lube when sizing - so it saves me a couple steps (lubing BLK cases prior to sizing them, and then cleaning the lube off after sizing them).

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top