JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I seen this coming for years and have prepared myself accordingly. But that being said. I am a building maintenance supervisor for one of the largest ornamental/shade tree farms in the PNW. its a 40 million plus dollar per year company. we cannot hire a single competent person that will show up to work and work to save our lives. There seams to be a lack of any skilled or even semi skilled labor Left. Even trying to train younger people is pretty much impossible.

I have recently taken on a young drug abuser that I'm trying to help him make a life for himself. He has had a few past issues. I'm also trying to teach him a little of what's going on in today's Society with the political climate. His family from what I can tell is far left wing. So far he shows up to work every day and does what I ask of him.

in a nut shell it's almost impossible to hire anyone that really wants to work. So I can understand what the ammunition manufacturing plants are going through.
Is that Schmidt? Last ad I saw in digger mag, which was a while ago admittedly, seemed like they were exclusively hiring bi lingual/ or a BA. I KNOW that that not everyone that works there could possibly be bi lingual.

I'm sick of my current job and looking to go somewhere else. CCI/Speer has a manufacturing facility about 45 miles from me. I figured they would be hurting for people due to Covid and burnout due to long hours, and I actually worked for a few months for a now defunct ammo manufacturer as a quality control inspector.

Wet to their website, and they have 101 jobs available, worldwide. Only 2 available locally. One is a Journeyman Electrician, and the other is an Assembler II. Starting pay is $17 an hour. One position available??

Doesn't sound like they are hurting for employees around here.

"president of Federal, CCI, Speer, and Remington"

Maybe part of the issue is the consolidation in ammunition makers. If you take all the companies and put them under one umbrella, one bad decision affects them all. As independent companies, one bad decision affects one company.

^^^

THIS!

Thank you.

Cate

Ammo actually doesn't take up that much room. I have about 70K rounds of ammo, half centerfire, half rimfire, it takes up 4 shelves of a heavy duty shelf system from Costco, and there is still room for more. You could fit 100K rounds or more of ammo on a single pallet.

TP OTOH, takes up a lot of room, but I have 130+ rolls (mostly bought years ago) and that is sufficient for my purposes for about a year (assuming the kids bug out to my BOL).

I generally do not sell ammo, I mostly only buy it, and mostly at pre-pandemic or early pandemic prices.

I have a big safe full of ammo & I would need two more to hold it all, most of it is left over from my gun business than folded up 8 or so years ago. I should probably go to a gun show and rake in some bucks while this stuff is still legal to own/sell

Panic buying isn't just on ammo, every Costco near me is out of toilet paper & paper towels, except for their Kirkland brand & mandatory limits have been placed on many items

The Costco closest to me did not have any Kirkland brand TP and paper towels. The had other brand but I didn't pay attention to what brand they had. The woman at the exit door remarked that she didn't see TP in my cart. I bought Kirkland stuff after the original panic was over a few months ago now. Then I bought package of TP over a month ago I haven't opened yet.

The Costco closest to me did not have any Kirkland brand TP and paper towels. The had other brand but I didn't pay attention to what brand they had. The woman at the exit door remarked that she didn't see TP in my cart. I bought Kirkland stuff after the original panic was over a few months ago now. Then I bought package of TP over a month ago I haven't opened yet.

I quit buying some of the Kirkland stuff & I can't stand that Costco water it seems like the arrowhead water they sell out here is coming from a dif tasting source, I'm kinda thinking about buying a Berkey system

Dang!!! We were there yesterday and I didn't even bother to walk back there to check. Truth be told I didn't see people with it in their carts either.

Dang!!! We were there yesterday and I didn't even bother to walk back there to check. Truth be told I didn't see people with it in their carts either.

Ditto. Didn't think about it yesterday, didn't see people with it stacked in their cart. Costco was busy yesterday with people buying stuff for XMas. Should have thought about TP for a stocking stuffer. :D

Back to ammo - I sometimes buy ammo from Smoky Mountain Knife Works as they sometimes have a decent price on what I want. Checked their ammo page just now.

I guess there is something to be said for the weird/wildcat/much less used calibers being what is left?

That said, I would assume two things:

1) While it is in stock, I would assume they don't stock it deep.
2) The ammo simply has moved from retailer's shelves to shooter's shelves. If SHTF real bad, it wouldn't be the LGS that you would be going to in order to get ammo - it would be ammo in private hands. I have bought more ammo from private parties advertising it here than I have from retailers.

One of the manufacturers in the American Rifleman article I posted noted that people who would normally buy X amount of ammo for hunting or shooting are now buying 10X that amount because they are not sure when they can get more.

That is what I have been doing for years. For one thing, I am a hoarder/prepper and I don't shoot that much - I put back ammo mostly for TEOTWAKI. Mostly to have ammo when I need it, but also because I generally don't travel an hour to buy ammo onesie-twosie.

I also want some ammo for possible bartering. I don't think I will really need 1K+ rounds of .44 magnum for the occasional SHTF hunting - 200 rounds would probably last me the rest of my life, but it is reassuring that even if I barter most of it away after SHTF, that I would still have more than I would ever need. Ditto with 35K+ of rimfire ammo.

Just like I am glad I set back enough $ for times like now, I am glad I also have plenty of ammo - just in case.

I grew up with the mindset that an extra box or two of ammo was considered well-stocked. If I wanted to go shooting, then I stopped by the LGS and grabbed a box or two of whatever I was going to shoot. Did that for decades with no issues.

I only started changing my habits the last few years. Also started reloading. So not as stocked up as many, but have enough to last a year or two. Stopped going to matches, stopped shooting for fun. The ammo I have now is considered as valuable as my 401k.

I grew up with the mindset that an extra box or two of ammo was considered well-stocked. If I wanted to go shooting, then I stopped by the LGS and grabbed a box or two of whatever I was going to shoot. Did that for decades with no issues.

I only started changing my habits the last few years. Also started reloading. So not as stocked up as many, but have enough to last a year or two. Stopped going to matches, stopped shooting for fun. The ammo I have now is considered as valuable as my 401k.
Just remember to stay sharp

tl;dr

1608389338352.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR