JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Will HB 1240 increase demand for in store purchases of prohibited rifle parts at Oregon stores?

I am guessing the lack of a sales tax was not incentive enough to justify higher in store prices compared to online deals? If fewer online suppliers are willing to ship parts to WA, maybe demand will increase at Oregon retailers?

Or maybe WA residents will quit buying parts, find alternative methods to have parts shipped into State, or?

Maybe I can just pay folks here to ship….. haaaaaaa

Think I'm 3 hours from border but to lazy to make the trip, even though the classifieds are on fire down there. Shake my head in my own bitterness watching threads just out of my reach. I'm an idiot. Haaaa

I'm sure I'll find someone comparable to PSA online that'll still ship, for awhile anyway. But in the end I'll just have to make the drive if availability is shutdown.

Wonder if online vendor stock orders will be cheaper right on borders…… like discount wholesale to anticipate Washington buyers…. Or if the retailer will keep the $$$$ if offered by vendor.

Right now though….. I'm pretty content with what I've already acquired in black rifle.

I've been planning to diversify my portfolio for a little minute. Got to get some classics.

Will HB 1240 increase demand for in store purchases of prohibited rifle parts at Oregon stores?

I am guessing the lack of a sales tax was not incentive enough to justify higher in store prices compared to online deals? If fewer online suppliers are willing to ship parts to WA, maybe demand will increase at Oregon retailers?

Or maybe WA residents will quit buying parts, find alternative methods to have parts shipped into State, or?
I don't know about pricing but selection for uppers and the like suck at most big box and border stores. If anybody knows of border stores on Oregon side that carry a good selection of uppers, please share.

When you drive from Utah to Wyoming you come to border firework stores, Cali border has liquor (taxes), Idaho has strip clubs, the east coast is the same with the dry counties.
It would seem a normal thing for retailers of banned goods in one area to pop up at the border of the banned area.
However this law makes it illegal for out of staters to sale to in-stators. So there is that.

When you drive from Utah to Wyoming you come to border firework stores, Cali border has liquor (taxes), Idaho has strip clubs, the east coast is the same with the dry counties.
It would seem a normal thing for retailers of banned goods in one area to pop up at the border of the banned area.
However this law makes it illegal for out of staters to sale to in-stators. So there is that.
"However this law makes it illegal for out of staters to sale to in-stators"

Care to share part of bill that states this?

"However this law makes it illegal for out of staters to sale to in-stators"

Care to share part of bill that states this?
The bill is poorly written. In one part they say no one within this state shall sale or distribute, but then define distribute as including folks out of state.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute,
24 sell, or offer for sale any assault weapon, except as authorized in
25 this section.

It's in the definitions:

(10) "Distribute" means to give out, provide, make available, or deliver a firearm or large capacity magazine to any person in this state, with or without consideration, whether the distributor is in- state or out-of-state. "Distribute" includes, but is not limited to, filling orders placed in this state, online or otherwise. "Distribute" also includes causing a firearm or large capacity magazine to be delivered in this state.

Last Edited:
The bill is poorly written. In one part they say no one within this state shall sale or distribute, but then define distribute as including folks out of state.

(1) No person in this state may manufacture, import, distribute,
24 sell, or offer for sale any assault weapon, except as authorized in
25 this section.

It's in the definitions:

(10) "Distribute" means to give out, provide, make available, or deliver a firearm or large capacity magazine to any person in this state, with or without consideration, whether the distributor is in- state or out-of-state. "Distribute" includes, but is not limited to, filling orders placed in this state, online or otherwise. "Distribute" also includes causing a firearm or large capacity magazine to be delivered in this state.
My interpretation of that, is that it would not include a transaction that completely occurs out of state.

Sportsman's Warehouse will probably fall for it though. Expect to be carded for next gas tube purchase there.

As has been stated before, Hobbs Act and the Supremacy Clause. Washington is trying to usurp the US Dept of Commerce in regulating legal commercial activity in another state. Can't do that.

I think the bill is a purposeful pile of legal definitions with only a small bit of its wording being about the ban of sale.
Then at the bottom they have the statement saying if any part is held invalid the other parts still hold.
If the courts toss out the Ban sections but don't toss the bill in its entirety, then the Dems still gain ground by putting in place a bunch of nonsense legal definitions. In the courts we need the entire bill trashed, otherwise we may end up with some of this crap being the legal definition of an assault weapon in Washington.

The Dems toss a bunch of mud and they only need a little of it to stick.

16 NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. If any provision of this act or its
17 application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the
18 remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other
19 persons or circumstances is not affected.

16 NEW SECTION. Sec. 5. If any provision of this act or its
17 application to any person or circumstance is held invalid, the
18 remainder of the act or the application of the provision to other
19 persons or circumstances is not affected.
Looks like they paid attention to Oregon's LEVO measure 114.

Jack

If the item you purchase out of state requires no proof of ID or bgc in that state why would any store not sell it to you? It is not the responsibility of an out of state business to know the laws in every other state, just as long as they are not sending it into Washington. Is there something in the bill that says you can't bring it across? Probably but good luck proving it without catching someone in the act.

Not that I would ever consider such an open violation to supreme leader Inzel's demands.

There are lots ands lots of uppers in the NWFA classifieds, especially the short ones. I don't think WA residents, willing to cross the border, are going to have much trouble building up all those lowers they bought post I-1639

I don't think they ID for parts, at least not yet. And use cash for the parts you do buy.

Besides lowers have you WA guys had any trouble getting AR parts. It seems that plenty of parts are still being sold in and shipped to WA.

If you have made cross border excursions to get parts, have retailers or sellers given you any grief?

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews