JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I liked the 80s era MREs a lot, especially the dehydrated pork patty, and I haven't had any problems with the current ones I've been buying and starting to eat to rotate out the older stock. I've got 5 cases in the garage.

While I don't remember all the various meals we had (its been a while since my Army days ).
I do remember "doctoring" them up with Ramen noodles , tabasco , dried fish , peas and corn.
Some mixes were good ... some should have never been experienced.:eek:
Andy

The pork patty? WTF? And they never could figure out a good way to heat the damned things.

Chicken Ala King was still the worst of all times. Smelled like Tuna.

The pork patty? WTF? And they never could figure out a good way to heat the damned things.

Chicken Ala King was still the worst of all times. Smelled like Tuna.
You think YOU had problems. Try being the cook making chicken fried steak for a company using B ration #10 cans of freeze dried beef patties; reconstituting those so I could dredge and fry them was hell and they never came out good. The freeze dried shrimp OTH was always good when building a pot of shrimp creole.

Sad considering the chicken ala king mountain house is one of my favorites.

A company that I used to work for had a partnership with OFD and I've been through the Oregon Freeze Dried facility in Albany where they make Mountain House a few times. They make real food and then freeze dry it. I'm not sure whatever company the DOD used to make the Chicken ala King MRE's used actual food before they high temp pasteurized it.

Received mine today. Couple days late due to the weather. Out of the 30 14 were with meat. The other 16 were vegetarian. Some were more puffy than others, some were really well sealed. All of them were made in late 2012.

Regarding the MREs, (yuck yuck!) what is the expiration date? Manufacture date? Do these have the high temp or freezing tab storage indicators on them? Anybody know how they were stored? So many questions.

When we were in Central America and tasked with a 30-day "security patrol" we ate MRE's twice a day for 2-weeks... strangely, I never pooped the entire time. This was before GPS and we were in triple canopy and couldn't get resupplied (poor platoon leader was STRESSING) and we had to forage for "food" (read: eat bugs & sticks) filter water through our bandannas & treat it with iodine tablets (we started pooping again!) all while staying on mission and not getting detected...

The moral of the story: MRE's aren't so bad... hot, luke-warm, cold, semi-frozen or otherwise.

In my Army unit (and in my household) fussy boys (and girls)... go hungry. My family marvels over how I'll eat anything cold. ;)

When we were in Central America and tasked with a 30-day "security patrol" we ate MRE's twice a day for 2-weeks... strangely, I never pooped the entire time. This was before GPS and we were in triple canopy and couldn't get resupplied (poor platoon leader was STRESSING) and we had to forage for "food" (read: eat bugs & sticks) filter water through our bandannas & treat it with iodine tablets (we started pooping again!) all while staying on mission and not getting detected...

The moral of the story: MRE's aren't so bad... hot, luke-warm, cold, semi-frozen or otherwise.

In my Army unit (and in my household) fussy boys (and girls)... go hungry. My family marvels over how I'll eat anything cold. ;)

Never been fussy either, but...
MREs, if you eat them for any length of time, are notorious for making you insanely constipated. They are meant to be short term. I knew a guy that would drink a small bottle of laxative when back on post and let loose...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top