JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If one is regular, the Chicken and Rice entree will clear that up for you. 3-days later you'll be trying to pass a presto log.

That was kind of the way that trip went. If someone was willing to swap or share their MRE, you knew it was crap.
You learn a lot and get the "opportunity" to try them all in military. Quickly you decipher which are decent and which ones aren't even fit for the maggots. Haha. Eat MREs for a week + and you dread the moment you have to sit in the toilet…..

slightly better than C-RATS
In the early-60s, my cousins had been on Fire duty in the back country as 'smoke jumpers'. One even they went in as a 2-man team & controlled/put out a small fire. Camped there a few days, their supply drop was complete food kit for 20 man team. They 'showed' me some of it...left from the Korean War. You had to be brave or starving to try. The crackers were barely chewable, and pointless even if you did gag 'em down. Adding the 'peanut butter & grape jam' actually converted it into a not-so-bad snack. Some of the 'entrees' were unidentifiable yet filled all of us up.

When I was in the Army...there were phasing out old stocks of C-RATIONS.....
Weird eating "food" as old or older than I was.....:eek: :D
Andy
I liked the old C-Rats. I still have my P-38 from basic training. But yeah I remember the transition to MRE's. I think they purposely sent out out to the field more just so they could get rid of the old stuff still in inventory. Good times though!

You learn a lot and get the "opportunity" to try them all in military. Quickly you decipher which are decent and which ones aren't even fit for the maggots. Haha. Eat MREs for a week + and you dread the moment you have to sit in the toilet…..
My son and I decided to eat only MREs while deer hunting about 25yrs ago. Somewhere around 7 days into it we gave up and drove into Bend and hit up Wendy's…it was like heaven. lol

LOL. I still use my p-38 even now :D
I never leave hone without it. Long live the Order of the P-38.

IMG_20220404_083848.jpg

I am positive the ham omelet was some guy eating a ham omelet then regurgitating it into a pouch and sealing it. The worst meal ever. I threw mine on the rocks near my campsite and watched. A coyote came by, sniffed it and vomited, Two Sasquatch ambled nearby it, grabbed their noses and ran away and finally a UFO landed where 3 Grays picked it up with tongs, stuck it in their engine compartment and flew off like a bat out of hell till their ship blew up about 4 miles downrange
I got the heck out of there after that. I didn't want a cloud of toxic ham omelet smoke wafting over me...:confused:
Sir, you haven't lived until you've eaten a C-Ration breakfast of ham and eggs. Even better heated to lukewarm on a jeep manifold.

I guess I'm strange. I liked MREs. But that was before they came up with all the new menus to conform to every religious practice and/or dietary preference on the planet.

BTW, military MREs don't have expiration dates. They have reinspection dates. When that date comes around, someone gets to taste them. They pull a case from a certain number of pallets in the warehouse, open it, and "randomly" grab a meal from each case. The meals are opened and someone tries a bite or 2 of each component. As long as it tastes OK and nothing has gone stale, the rest of the cases from the same lot are stamped with a new date and returned to the warehouse.

I once participated in a detail selected to inspect a batch of MREs in the Navy warehouse in San Diego. Ate MREs all day long. I was in hog heaven!

I guess I'm strange. I liked MREs.
I actually liked the ham slice and the PB&J with the cracker bread.

But really they are the last thing Id want to survive on, it would be way more cost effective and nutritious and tasty to stock up on good ol freeze dried meals. IIRC we can buy Mountainhouse brands in bulk packages for prepping needs, pretty much last forever with no worries of spoiling or taste.

I actually liked the ham slice and the PB&J with the cracker bread.

But really they are the last thing Id want to survive on, it would be way more cost effective and nutritious and tasty to stock up on good ol freeze dried meals. IIRC we can buy Mountainhouse brands in bulk packages for prepping needs, pretty much last forever with no worries of spoiling or taste.
There are good arguments for both. The advantage of MREs is just that - they are ready to eat. You don't need to have extra water available for cooking. Freeze dried foods may taste better and store longer, but in SHTF if the supply of water is an issue for any reason, whether seasonal or situational, they may not be practical. Having some of each is probably a good idea.

EDIT: Budget wise, tho, better alternatives can probably be found in the civilian market, such as common canned foods. Having a few MREs in the emergency kit in the car or bug out bag is not a bad idea, however.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top