JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lived in Melrose Park, Ill for a year in the early '90s
gunfire in the night was common
all the bars along Lake Street had armed guards, it was an Italian neighborhood back then
I just took it for granted as part of Chicago area life

This is why PSU security etc. is no longer armed.. scary guns and someone might get hurt.
Having seen enough campus shootings, I would support armed security (handgun only). However, I would have highly trained personnel working that contract; not your average guard. They would have to qualify and have a higher degree of training to work that post. If the campus has one or two LEO's on staff in addition to a security team, then my answer would change. Security can help enact the campus lock down plan and get students to a safe zone. COVID changes all of this however :D

Having seen enough campus shootings, I would support armed security (handgun only). However, I would have highly trained personnel working that contract; not your average guard. They would have to qualify and have a higher degree of training to work that post. If the campus has one or two LEO's on staff in addition to a security team, then my answer would change. Security can help enact the campus lock down plan and get students to a safe zone. COVID changes all of this however :D
Kinda moot anyway since you can carry on campus.

ALL YOU TOUGH GUYS WHO TALK bubblegum ABOUT WANTTABEES, GO OUT AND TRY TO DO THE JOB WITH ALL THE CRAZY TWEEKED UP CRAZIES OUT THERE... SOME PEOPLE HAVE ENOUGH RESPECT FOR THEMSELFS AND JUST TRYING TO MAKE A BUCK TO GET GET BY AND MAKE A LITTLE EXTRA AND GIVE THERE EMPLOYER AN HONEST 8 HOURS... WITH NO REAL LAWS PROTECTING THE AND DAMN SURE NO BACKUP... AND WHAT DO THEY GET FOR THEIR TROUBLES ??? THEY GET A FACE FULL OF DEGRADING bubblegum FROM THE bubblegumS ON THE STREETS AND THEN HAVE TO BE DEGRADED BY PEOPLE HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD FLAPPING THEIR GUMS...TO ALL THAT ARE CALLING THESE GOOD PEOPLE WANTTABEES AND GOING TO KNOCK THEM OUT, YOU GET YOUR SECURTY LIC AND WORK THE JOB FOR 6 MONTHS AND I'LL GIVE YOU A SWEET 10/22... IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WALK THE WALK, IMHO
SHUT UP...
SEMPER FI

Ringo - As a licensed armed security professional myself, I know the job is that of a thankless one, difficult, and you have to deal with a lot of craziness; people as well as situations. I think the discussion is more about when and where it's appropriate to have armed security. It is also our decision and choice to work in that profession and do the job, honestly people have a right to say whatever they feel. I don't fault anyone for that as we are all entitled to our own opinions. I've learned through the years there are good people and there are bad people, I just choose who to deal with.
Namaste

As a security guard myself, the lack of respect from any one is disconcerting. Been doing this for 8 years here Washington. Guards are the first responders in many cases, LEO 's are given the credit. True, about 80% of the guards at my company are worthless, hiding out, sleeping, only there for a free check. I have told a few to quit and draw welfare, get a shopping cart and live like they were meant to.

And that's the part I'm not okay with where LEO's are not crediting the Security companies or guards. There is for sure a lack of respect from certain individuals, but there is for LEO's as well. Unfortunately the 80% you describe give the good and honorable ones a bad name. Much respect to those here who are guards and want to be in the profession, are honorable, and have integrity. Keep doing it!

Why are we so against any person or group being armed to protect themselves? The guards job is to watch and notify. And folks are against that group of people having the same rights as others?:confused:

Why are we so against any person or group being armed to protect themselves? The guards job is to watch and notify. And folks are against that group of people having the same rights as others?:confused:
I don't think that's the entire context of what is being discussed. In my experience there are some guards (and people) that shouldn't necessarily be carrying for various reasons. I fully support people and guards exercising their constitutional right to own and carry firearms, but there are some (as stories on this thread have shown) that probably shouldn't. Again, my opinion and who knows what that's worth these days. ;)

Just an opinion that's sure to rile some but meant to open conversation.

If you want to protect people then be a cop.

If you are guarding property is it worth your life to guard what insurance will replace?

Cameras and alarm systems can watch property and police can be called if the police want to be there.

A man's life is worth more than the property he guards. :s0093:

I think that most of us KNOW.......

That generalities and statements made about groups (in this case Security Guards) might not ALWAYS be a perfect description of ABOSOLUTLE EVERYONE within the group. But then......some people.....like to force others into making things CLEAR/CLEARER.

OMG! As an example, he said.....

The Democrats
The Republicans
Teachers, cops, doctors, scientists, etc, etc.....

Awwww.....Come On Man. It's not like everyone can remember to qualify every statement about a group with....."some, most, not all, there are exceptions, etc..".

No_Time_Fo_Dat.jpg

Besides....it's in the Rules of this forum: NO PERSONAL ATTACKS. So, don't take things PERSONAL.

But, not everyone will follow the rules all of the time.

Rrrright....and some people don't get the humor or sarcasm of some posters. Or maybe they are ornery?

OK....granted. Sometimes, there are cases.

Perhaps, it's just that this supposed "felt" hate (or whatever/however it's described as), is seeded in personal baggage? Hummm.....Personal Baggage?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I don't live in Portland, but my daughter does
I don't go out to restaurants and bars in Old Town, but my daughter does
I don't know if your aware, but armed robberies were happening in Old Town every week, with people in the bars at the time
a Meth Head tried to break into a coffee shop a 3 in the afternoon, the kids working there locked the door and were scared to death
only Private security showed up - 911 said since it wasn't a life threatening situation, they didn't have the manpower to address just attempted robbery
Joann Hardesty and her Leftist squad reduced the police presence down to just 2 officers for Old Town for every 24 hrs shift
were all of you aware of this?
the presence of Armed guards on the streets of Old Town have stopped these occurrences, the 2 PPD officers could not
my daughter again feels safe going out with her friends at night
for that, I thank all security guards working down there

and your right, we shouldn't need private armed guards in Old Town, but talk to Joann and Ted about that - I didn't vote them in
but I don't think anyone is suggesting we allow the people in Portland to be victims due to the shortcomings of the Liberal Politicians there
if it takes privatly hired former Navy Seals to keep my daughter safe, they have my support

"A man's life is worth more than the property he guards."
I spent 10.5 years in the Military and we did just that every day

Just an opinion that's sure to rile some but meant to open conversation.

If you want to protect people then be a cop.

If you are guarding property is it worth your life to guard what insurance will replace?

Cameras and alarm systems can watch property and police can be called if the police want to be there.

A man's life is worth more than the property he guards. :s0093:
Though simply put.....

It's also that (in some cases) the "guarding duties" also extends to the patrons that visit the facility. Is that a bad assumption?

OK, Ok, ok..... Yeah....things are changing quickly.

Even when there is a beach or swimming pool Lifeguard......someone might/could drown (or worse).

Quick, quick.....find a lawyer.

LOL......a shark attack took the life of some tourist (not in Hawaii). The Lifeguards were alerted to the attack but did nothing and stayed onshore. Maybe they called 911? Yeah anyway.....the family sued almost everyone they could think of (on advice from their lawyer).

Wait....this is NOT to say that ALL lawyers are BAD PEOPLE. Or Lifeguards or 911 for that matter. If you're a lawyer (or lifeguard)....don't get your panties in a bunch. Ooops......

Yeah....just because "GUARD" is in the name doesn't mean the same function is performed. Example Security Guard for a store, be it at night with no one around or during hours of operation, more than likely it's different. Has different challenges.

Getting back to a Lifeguard at say the Swimming Pool. Ask BIDEN. His experience runs to his job as a lifeguard (long ago) and that is where he ran into "CornPop." Yup......

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Though simply put.....

It's also that (in some cases) the "guarding duties" also extends to the patrons that visit the facility. Is that a bad assumption?

OK, Ok, ok..... Yeah....things are changing quickly.

Even when there is a beach or swimming pool Lifeguard......someone might/could drown (or worse).

Quick, quick.....find a lawyer.

LOL......a shark attack took the life of some tourist (not in Hawaii). The Lifeguards were alerted to the attack but did nothing and stayed onshore. Maybe they called 911? Yeah anyway.....the family sued almost everyone they could think of (on advice from their lawyer).

Wait....this is NOT to say that ALL lawyers are BAD PEOPLE. Or Lifeguards or 911 for that matter. If you're a lawyer (or lifeguard)....don't get your panties in a bunch. Ooops......

Yeah....just because "GUARD" is in the name doesn't mean the same function is performed. Example Security Guard for a store, be it at night with no one around or during hours of operation, more than likely it's different. Has different challenges.

Getting back to a Lifeguard at say the Swimming Pool. Ask BIDEN. His experience runs to his job as a lifeguard (long ago) and that is where he ran into "CornPop." Yup......

Aloha, Mark
Kinda hard to make out what you are saying there, no offense but it was half rant half ramble.

Armed security is a paid for guard for those who can't or won't protect themselves. Some guards travel the world on contract for special people. Others are hired here by personalities in fear of their life, a body guard. It's a big difference between hired trained body guards and guys paid to watch and protect property.

A guard without a gun is like hiring a lifeguard that can't swim.

Well, I can't help you. No offense.

Duh.

"Guards or security".......it doesn't always mean in all cases.....an "Armed" guard or security person.

The mission/purpose for them....be they, Armed Guards, Personal Security/Protection, Guard at a Grocery Store, Night security guard, Rock Concert Security, etc, etc....generally dictates what they carry. And then, generally.....the person/company doing the hiring of the service will set out the parameter of the contract.

Don't like the conditions? Don't take the job.

Bottom Line: NOT ALL "security/guards" NEED to be armed.

Duh.

Aloha, Mark

A guard without a gun is like hiring a lifeguard that can't swim.

PS.......the "lifeguard and shark story" was to point out the sometimes ridiculous expectations of some people. Would I expect that a lifeguard would have a gun to shoot the shark? Do I expect that the lifeguard will jump into the water to fight off the shark?

As for lifeguards in general?
BUT, But, but.......he is a LIFEGUARD and he has a whistle.

YES.....I expect that a lifeguard can swim. BUT.......since we got the Americans with Disabilities Act????

To everyone.....please adjust your meter/detector frequently.
sarcasm_detector.jpg

Last Edited:
I don't know how far outside Seattle is still Seattle. 1 hour response leaves plenty of time to get rid of a...evidence. No, nothing going on here. Must be a mistake. Have a nice day officers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top