JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am unarmed security licensed. I'd say probably 10 years ago, I got my armed DPSST license. I went to an indoor range, shot several groups, did reloads and I passed. I also attended a 3 hour course at the instructor's house.

I was never able to get an armed guard position because I didn't have prior LE or Mil experience.

I've been doing unarmed security work for over 13 years. Most security guards/officers should not be armed IMO. They don't have the experience and discipline. Sure you can train them but even then, I'd say most are still clueless.... the situational awareness and the mentality just isn't there if you ask me lol.

If the person is disciplined and capable, I'm all for it.

My campus, we are a gun free zone. I know many officers carry concealed because they have a valid CHL. But if you use deadly force wile on duty, or even brandish and get caught, goodbye job and DPSST license. I contacted Multnomah Co. once and they said there would be no criminal charges if I shot someone because I was licensed to carry (assuming it was a legal shoot). As far as employer policies being violated and not being armed licensed, worst would be that I'd lose my job and license.

I don't think armed security pays that much. I'm between $25-$30 per hour right now and I'm unarmed and been at my campus for over 6 years.

I can only hope everyone who votes for the current admin there gets a window or two broken.
Of course if this is allowed to go on long enough we will soon be seeing some of the scum just being shot. They will break the window of someone who will have had enough. Of course the poor vehicle owner will then be in trouble. Sad case of what the voters have done there but, they keep saying give us more. :s0092:
Just ten minutes ago I hear this loud crash. Not uncommon because the grocery store across the street and down a ways has a huge steel ramp on their loading dock that gets dropped sometimes. And there is a body shop at the corner of my lot that can make some pretty loud noises sometimes. When I look out the window of my computer room toward the body shop I notice the power lines that run down the property line just swinging around. bubblegum, someone smacked our car and the power pole! So I thought. A homeless guy in a motor home smacked the drug dealer's car and the pole next to it. And that transferred across the street to the power lines out my window. But, it couldn't of happened to bigger piece of lazy, rude ignorant, inconsiderate piece of human crap! :s0140:

I call 911 and they answer right away! I tell the nice gal what went down, and that I was concerned this guy might take off. She says she'll send an officer this way but they're kind of backed up this morning so it won't be right away.

You know the city you live in is really screwed up when there's no officers to attend to an incident at 6:30 AM on a Sunday morning.

ted wheeler and the portland city counsel, you all suck at what you do.

1) "Don't want a bunch of lames turning up with chicken legs and hot dogs."
Why not? If it's BYO they know what they like.

2) "ted wheeler and the portland city counsel, you all suck at what you do."
Maybe they need some windows broke. (Just kidding of course.)

3) So, not clear as to whether it was your hoopty that got rammed by the derelict RV or the drug dealer's. Hope it wasn't yours.

4) This kind of crap is one reason why I hate living in a city. Blue Cesspools are the worst.

my daughter sent her car out to us for safekeeping
it appears "urban campers" just randomly wander the streets pf Portland breaking out windows of parked cars
the police will tell you they have no manpower to dispatch to investigate such damage
Ha, that's been going on for at least 30 years.

ted wheeler and the portland city counsel, you all suck at what you do.
The words I would like to use to describe Ted 'Feeler' (since he appears to be nothing more than a limp wristed, whiny 'feelings' type lib) I cannot use here.

When I saw him bending over in the streets and grabbing his ankles with the rest of his ANTIFA brethren I saw an example of literally the weakest, spineless person the lord ever strung a gut through. I saw it as 'consorting with the enemy' as his actions (or lack of them) got people injured and killed.

He committed an irrevocable act of disgrace against the people and City of Portland and should have died by his own hand.

I got no beef with a rent-a-cop having a weapon to defend themself. It's rare, but occasionally they come face to face with some of the same stuff cops might.
That said, I do have beef with the fact that you can get to this position with naught but a GED and a weekend class you don't even have to pay attention to.
There should be significantly more requirements, both training and otherwise for this.
I have the same beef with cops. Yes, they have much more training. They could use more still and most of them know it.

But, I'm probably getting off topic from the original point being made. That's a bunch of jobs and I wouldn't necessarily want to be in most of them right now.
I agree that some of the training for armed guards is not enough; although I'm not sure the GED vs. an Undergraduate degree would make any difference in some aspects. I've seen very educated people make stupid real world decisions; and I've seen those without a degree make very good ones. There is annual testing you must perform, both classroom and range time. It's relatively the same shooting qualification course for LEO, so there is a fair level of competency you need to have. I will say that I have to agree with some of the other posts that it really comes down to attitude, demeanor, and knowledge. Knowing the laws around what you are legally able to do etc., most security companies have internal policies that don't allow the guards to really do much anyway. I would support more training for armed guards, more strict qualifications, and maybe more range time. I think armed security has its place, grocery and jewelry stores is not likely a place you really need armed security. Transportation of valuables, protecting high value assets, NGO's, and celebs, etc. all should have competent, proficient, and the right minded professional armed security. Sometimes armed security, or regular security guards in general are those that would not qualify as LEO, but there are others that perform in the security profession prior to becoming a LEO. Good discussion all around though, there are pros and cons of armed security. And I will say that the big box security companies that do mobile patrol are sadly, usually not very qualified to perform the services hired for.

from Fox News this morning:
ex military including former Navy Seal hired to protect businesses in Portland
according to the article, they are patrolling the streets armed with AR 15s

Saigon was safer in '70

from Fox News this morning:
ex military including former Navy Seal hired to protect businesses in Portland
according to the article, they are patrolling the streets armed with AR 15s

Saigon was safer in '70
I wish some media outlet would name and post pictures of the mayor and the members of the city council that voted for defunding OUR Portland Police! Do it "Mugshot" style! Post the mug shots on telephone poles around Portland.

Unfortunately, he is exactly what the antis want. They will sacrifice an idiot for a photo op. We have seen Antifa will hide behind women and children. Brown and Wheeler will ignore the problem and propagandize the response.

I wonder why Mogadishu wants security :s0093:

Yep, just a hair over 25 short city blocks East, and a few blocks south from my house. Had that area close all day until almost 5:00.

They ought to arrest those guys.

I wonder why Mogadishu wants security :s0093:

what Oregon Live doesn't mention is 4 innocent people living in the neighborhood were wounded by the inaccurate shooting of the gang members

20 rounds fired

2 rappers killed

a man just walking to his car to go to work, a grandmother with her family wounded

ccw doesn't do you any good when you never see the shooter who fired the weapon

Looks like Mogadishu is self cleaning, what four murders this week so far? :s0093:
You know, I don't follow the news. I hear/read it here first. Wifey will peruse oregon live/KPTV and such with morning coffee and relay some of it to me. I absolutely hate the way so-called "News" is delivered. I hardly EVER turn it on, on purpose.

You know, I don't follow the news. I hear/read it here first. Wifey will peruse oregon live/KPTV and such with morning coffee and relay some of it to me. I absolutely hate the way so-called "News" is delivered. I hardly EVER turn it on, on purpose.
I read the Portland news every morning, then at least once a day, I tell my wife:

"remember 24 years ago when you cried and asked why I was moving you and the kids from Portland to 5 acres in the mountains? THIS IS WHY"

and tell me about this Covid thing - non of my trees have caught it yet

visiting Portland is like surfing off Point Reyes in California - 90% of the time, everything is just fine

then there's the day a great white swims by and eats your apples

I'd rather avoid those 10% days

I read the Portland news every morning, then at least once a day, I tell my wife:

"remember 24 years ago when you cried and asked why I was moving you and the kids from Portland to 5 acres in the mountains? THIS IS WHY"

and tell me about this Covid thing - non of my trees have caught it yet

visiting Portland is like surfing off Point Reyes in California - 90% of the time, everything is just fine

then there's the day a great white swims by and eats your apples

I'd rather avoid those 10% days
I want to move to acreage as well. Considering a more neutral State; Wyoming, Montana, Tennessee or something like that. Heck even Oregon as long as I can get some land.

Armed security?

I want to reserve judgement until AFTER one of them shoots a person from a "protected class".

Aloha, Mark
Mark - not even so much as "protected class" just anyone in general from my perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about a Security professional standing or walking around outside of a night club armed with an AR. I mean if it's working for them, I guess fine, but seems a little much. Now if you were transporting grow product, that would be something I would have an AR for. Even transportation of high value items; AR's or MP5's can be used as deterrents and are capable tools for threat response. But around downtown, and not responding to any sort of active threat; I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the need to have someone cruising around the building with an AR.

Mark - not even so much as "protected class" just anyone in general from my perspective. I'm not sure how I feel about a Security professional standing or walking around outside of a night club armed with an AR. I mean if it's working for them, I guess fine, but seems a little much. Now if you were transporting grow product, that would be something I would have an AR for. Even transportation of high value items; AR's or MP5's can be used as deterrents and are capable tools for threat response. But around downtown, and not responding to any sort of active threat; I'm not sure I'm in agreement with the need to have someone cruising around the building with an AR.
This is why PSU security etc. is no longer armed.. scary guns and someone might get hurt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top