JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
What I tell most people looking for their first AR...

If you just want a quality and affordable AR, go with the M&P Sport. It's not top tier, but it's a lot of gun for the money.

If you want top tier, look at Colt 6920, BCM, or Daniel Defense. There is a bit of a price range here between the three but they are all excellent. DD would be my first choice, but a 6920 can be had for under $1000 usually. Take a look at the 6920 OEM 1 or 2 if you'd like to add your own furniture.

Save some money for an optic and ammo. Do everything you can to try different optics. Red dots, holographic sights, 1-4x AR scopes, and higher magnification scopes all have their purpose and comfort level. You can even buy one of the inexpensive 25-30 dollar red dots or holographic sights to see how you like it. For that kind of money, it won't be a sharp dot or be very durable, but will give you an opportunity to try one without breaking the bank.

Then there are all the other "things" you'll eventually want. Decent gun case/bag, lots of mags of different capacity, sling, smoother/two stage trigger, better safe, etc., etc. And then there are those debit card torture "daily deals" from PSA that you won't be able to resist! :D

A lot of good advice here, but...:rolleyes:
Has your wife ever fired a 5.56 AR? If not, let her try one, before you buy one. ;)
An AR in 5.56 has a God awful muzzle blast that she may not like at all.:eek:
Besides that, they are heavier than most bolt guns and you can buy a magazine
fed bolt action, in 5.56, or 7.62x39 for less.:)

OK... I'm ready.. Smilies - hit with rock.gif

Hi all,
After going shooting this weekend the wife is tired of plinking with the .22 and the .308 is just too much gun for her to be happy with. So she asked that I find her some middle ground. I'm looking for some advice from the experts on the board. I've done some internet research but I would like opinions from those with more practical experience.

I am looking to purchase my first semi-auto 5.56. And by purchase I mean, buy one fully assembled. As I don't think I would trust a firearm of my own construction. :)

We would be using it for home defense and target shooting on the weekends for self improvement, with some varmint shooting a couple times a year with friends thrown in. I'd like something in the sub $1000 range (The subber the better), that is ready to go straight out the box and is easy to maintain as the wife has to clean her own toys.

What would you recommend?
Someone just put a SMITH AND WESSON M@P 15 SPORT II UP FOR SALE IN THE CLASSIFIED FOR $700 BUCKS close to you Centraila WA

A lot of good advice here, but...:rolleyes:
Has your wife ever fired a 5.56 AR? If not, let her try one, before you buy one. ;)
An AR in 5.56 has a God awful muzzle blast that she may not like at all.:eek:
Besides that, they are heavier than most bolt guns and you can buy a magazine
fed bolt action, in 5.56, or 7.62x39 for less.:)

OK... I'm ready.. View attachment 441654

All the more reason to get one....then get your first suppressor ;) Saw a guy shooting a suppressed AR at the range this past weekend - very pleasant shooting. Little recoil, no muzzle flash. Great fun :)

As for the weight, that really is dependent on the gun. I've seen AR's that aren't heavy at all. Leave off the gigantic steel quad rail some folks put on them and they come down in weight nicely.

All the more reason to get one....then get your first suppressor ;) Saw a guy shooting a suppressed AR at the range this past weekend - very pleasant shooting. Little recoil, no muzzle flash. Great fun :)

As for the weight, that really is dependent on the gun. I've seen AR's that aren't heavy at all. Leave off the gigantic steel quad rail some folks put on them and they come down in weight nicely.
Aluminum rails, who puts steel on a mattel? <|:•)

Avoiding gimmicky stocks like the aluminum one also keeps weight down.

If I was him I would look at that Smith and Wesson it says brand new and few extras sounds like a good deal for a first BLACK RIFLE it was just posted last night

One of the biggest weight factors that is often overlooked is the barrel profile. You can shave a pound off in some cases by going with a lightweight or pencil barrel profile.

As I suggested earlier, find someone with multiple varieties that you can try out before deciding on a specific model. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

One of the biggest weight factors that is often overlooked is the barrel profile. You can shave a pound off in some cases by going with a lightweight or pencil barrel profile.

As I suggested earlier, find someone with multiple varieties that you can try out before deciding on a specific model. It will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

Definitely a number of ways to keep the weight down. No need for an AR to get up in the 9-10 lb range unless you're working on a long range gun.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top