JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
after watching this thread for a bit I have a better understand of what I'm looking for. a mini 14 would not be a bad option with the folding stock

after watching this thread for a bit I have a better understand of what I'm looking for. a mini 14 would not be a bad option with the folding stock
Also one thing to think about is the modularity of an ar lower (if that is something you are interested in). Fe let's say you buy a complete lower for $139. Then get a stamp for $200. Now you can make any configuration you can dream up such as 8" 300 BO, 10.5" 556 truck gun with folding stock via $70 (on sale) sylvan arms folding adapter (must be unfolded before firing unlike the bufferless options I mentioned in an above post) or many other calibers/lengths.

Most of these bear creek armory uppers can be found for $180-$250 on sale which allows you to add whatever caliber you want.

Once you have that stamped lower, you have every option you can think of available. Fe a stamped lower ($339) + 300bo upper ($200) = $539, add other upper in other lengths or calibers for around $200 each. Or to stay low cost go with complete upper at $129 + foxtrot Mike at $439. Then add $50 jmac customs folding stock clone.

Here's that stock on a brn-180 pistol (scope just there for accuracy testing it doesn't live on that gun as it's way too big):
097FC184-C2B2-4464-802F-3BE6DA32C535.png

A laundry list of bear creek arsenal uppers available. 22lr, and 22 mag not shown.
8586D140-B2C4-4676-84F9-B857321B7213.jpeg

Last Edited:
Also one thing to think about is the modularity of an ar lower (if that is something you are interested in). Fe let's say you buy a complete lower for $139. Then get a stamp for $200. Now you can make any configuration you can dream up such as 8" 300 BO, 10.5" 556 truck gun with folding stock via $70 (on sale) sylvan arms folding adapter (must be unfolded before firing unlike the bufferless options I mentioned in an above post) or many other calibers/lengths.

Most of these bear creek armory uppers can be found for $180-$250 on sale which allows you to add whatever caliber you want.

Once you have that stamped lower, you have every option you can think of available. Fe a stamped lower ($339) + 300bo upper ($200) = $539, add other upper in other lengths or calibers for around $200 each. Or to stay low cost go with complete upper at $129 + foxtrot Mike at $439. Then add $50 jmac customs folding stock clone.

Here's that stock on a brn-180 pistol (scope just there for accuracy testing it doesn't live on that gun as it's way too big):
View attachment 1467741

A laundry list of bear creek arsenal uppers available. 22lr, and 22 mag not shown.
View attachment 1467743
the info goes a long way thank you

the info goes a long way thank you
Just an example of how inexpensive things are right now: .223 wylde bca 18" ss heavy fluted dual charging upper ($189 shipped) plus psa complete lower ($149 shipped with $10 of that donated to GOA), plus $10 (on sale) Monstrum tactical bipod grip = $348 total cost (ignore scope). Note that the stock in pic was swapped out with another one, lower came with just the basic stock in this case, but u can still find MOE stock/grip lowers at psa for either $129 or $139 (can't recall which) on sale. Note that any of these bca uppers are going to be heavy compared to many of the more expensive uppers so if lightness is a primary goal they wouldn't be ideal for that. This was a couple months ago so current prices may be slightly different...just an example FYI.

DAB63DBD-659B-4745-A94A-A0103700A0D2.jpeg

Last Edited:
We love our SU-16's we both have the "Cali" spec non folders that we converted to folders via a 3-D printer and a few days print time! Bonus was the ability to use the twin mag holder idea WITH a folding stock!
Before you ask, the reason for the "Cali" Spec rifles was the iron sights, the Cali version puts the front sight on the gas block and not that big funky snaggy barrel mounted abomination!

Just an example of how inexpensive things are right now: .223 wylde bca 18" ss heavy fluted dual charging upper ($189 shipped) plus psa complete lower ($149 shipped with $10 of that donated to GOA), plus $10 (on sale) Monstrum tactical bipod grip = $348 total cost (ignore scope). Note that the stock in pic was swapped out with another one, lower came with just the basic stock in this case, but u can still find MOE stock/grip lowers at psa for either $129 or $139 (can't recall which) on sale. Note that any of these bca uppers are going to be heavy compared to many of the more expensive uppers so if lightness is a primary goal they wouldn't be ideal for that. This was a couple months ago so current prices may be slightly different...just an example FYI.

View attachment 1467745
That modular versatility is why the AR is such a popular platform and what caused me to leave other platforms like the Mini-14 behind.

One thing to caution someone considering a Mini-14 is that they are LOUD! Fire one before you buy one. It's the rifle I tried the hardest to love, but at the end of the day it's like that knockout girlfriend who was a whole lot of fun, but just not wife material. YMMV.

I recently got a Palmetto State Armory JAKL (AR-like but with AK-like long-stroke piston) and I've been very happy with it.

As others have said, the roller-delayed blowback Marcolamar CETME is solid option too. Atlantic seems to be out of them but the manufacturer has them:

I've always wanted a Steyr Aug too, but alas, now the safe is full. PSA has been running a special on them recently for only $1500 (usually closer to $2k):

However note that this is the model that uses proprietary Steyr mags. They make a version that uses AR-15 mags but they're not on sale currently.

A bit cheaper than all of these options would be to get a Galil, which is basically the Israeli version of the AK in 5.56:

All great options! Collect them all! :)

That modular versatility is why the AR is such a popular platform and what caused me to leave other platforms like the Mini-14 behind.

One thing to caution someone considering a Mini-14 is that they are LOUD! Fire one before you buy one. It's the rifle I tried the hardest to love, but at the end of the day it's like that knockout girlfriend who was a whole lot of fun, but just not wife material. YMMV.
I started my 5.56 interest with a "76" model mini... put a flash suppressor on it and it wasn't too bad... had 5 of the various models before I changed over to a slab-side AR... Like the Colt/Stoner design much better for various reasons including parts availability, ergos, modularity, and ability to work on them myself (to a degree). Stainless Mini's were liked in Rhodesia due to rust resistance.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top