JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finnish Valmet M76 AK in .223. Need to be really lucky and somewhat wealthy. There are also a few Daewoo pre-ban K1s, but they have gone from 300 to 1500+. An HK93 would be nice, but...$$$
EDIT: Pics.
Valmet: Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 12.50.24 AM.png
Daewoo:
Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 12.51.58 AM.png
H&K: Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 12.53.39 AM.png

Last Edited:
Galil Ace, FB Radom Beryl, Tavor SAR. Tavor X95 sucks. The AK gas system and reliability with little to no maintenance make it superior to the AR in my opinion (Tavor is a bit more finicky as there are lots of nooks and crannies for crud to accumulate). If you're feeling more spicy, try the Marcolmar CETME L, Galil Ace Gen 1, or Galil ARM/SAR.

I have never been a big AR fan but decided to buy one before my state bans them. I went with a SIG MCX Spear which is very AR(ish) but is different enough. The main difference, that I appreciate, is no buffer tube so I can use a folding stock. I also like the extra bolt release on the right of the receiver. I do not care for (or maybe haven't gotten used to yet) the charging handle on the rear of the receiver. I like side charging handles much better. The short stroke piston system is supposed to be considerably cleaner than the direct impingement AR recoil system. The MCX barrels are supposed to be quick to change with just a screwdriver. I am planning on getting a short 6.5" 300 AAC BLK barrel for it. I did register my Spear as a SBR.

I do have an HK91 and really like the manual of arms even through it has no last round hold open. I have always wanted an HK-93 but never found one that I was willing to pay for.

A friend has had a Daewoo for 30 years now and loves it. He bought it because it was much cheaper than an AR at that time but holds on to it because he likes it much better.

Last Edited:
Been looking to get another rifle besides my ak and I want to see what other options I have for an 556 gun
If you've never owned an AR15, then buy/build a midrange one & run it a bunch. Then consider getting into less common.

They are just tools. Common tools. Which every 2A enthusiast should know how to use well.

IMO.

That written, if you've already owned them, or are already comfortable with that platform, then disregard my opinion. Or simply disregard it outright, no worries.

Money doesn't grow on trees, everyone's financials are different as are everyone's likes & dislikes. Time is also a factor.

Of those currently more or less readily available on the market, I'd struggle to decide between the Zastava M90 the CETME-L. I struggled enough that I ended up getting both.

131225A2-26A7-49C4-A64A-7D5FF207B823.jpeg

Is that a Malcomar CETME? Current production? Or something older and out of print?
It's a Marcolmar. I installed a 1st gen handguard because I like the aesthetics better; I also had to dye said handguard black to match since the first gen furniture tends to be some variation of that poop green color often seen on CETMEs.

If you've never owned an AR15, then buy/build a midrange one & run it a bunch. Then consider getting into less common.

They are just tools. Common tools. Which every 2A enthusiast should know how to use well.

IMO.

That written, if you've already owned them, or are already comfortable with that platform, then disregard my opinion. Or simply disregard it outright, no worries.

Money doesn't grow on trees, everyone's financials are different as are everyone's likes & dislikes. Time is also a factor.
This is very good advice. Don't go different just to be different. But if you have a reason then go for it. Despite growing up shooting one (my dad's SP-1), I actually spent a lot of adult years actively avoiding the AR platform out of contrariness. And that was a mistake.

IMO, the best 5.56 that is not an AR-15 is an M-4. (jk)

Last Edited:
CZ Bren 2. Softer shooting then most ARs, piston design, non reciprocating side charging, AR mag compatible, no buffer tube and runs. Cost less then a SCAR 16s.

CZ Bren 2. Softer shooting then most ARs, piston design, non reciprocating side charging, AR mag compatible, no buffer tube and runs. Cost less then a SCAR 16s.
The problem with CZ is they will never make spare parts available in the U.S. market. It's still impossible to find Bren 2 parts except for those currently reverse engineering and selling them.

The problem with CZ is they will never make spare parts available in the U.S. market. It's still impossible to find Bren 2 parts except for those currently reverse engineering and selling them.
Never had a problem really. CZ USA has been responsive the single time I was looking for a replacement firing pin.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top