JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mossberg Maverick Field/Security combo - $240
Mossberg 702 - $170 (10/22 too expensive)
Simmons 22 mag 4x32 - $45
Ruger American 308 - $450
Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 - $95

All new, no cheating and rounds out a ton of uses.

Make all the joke's you want.
99% of people that die in a survival situation just plain give up.
I don't know how many keyboard commando's on here have been in combat.
Anything other than a primary and maybe a pistol is just more crap you are carrying that doesn't get used.
The joke is regarding your thread revival....

Old thread, eh, it's the internet.

OP lived in Rainier, OR. If he's still alive, that is. My pal from teenage days lived out the latter part of his life in Bandon. West of the Cascades, he figured on only two firearms for survival (he lived rough a lot). A .22 pistol, and a .22 rifle. He was a poacher, he killed deer with his .22 rifle. Oh, the third item, a good knife for gutting and skinning. But when he decided to take his own life, he used a .45 automatic. His dream firearm was an M1 Rifle and 1,000 rounds of ball ammo. Semper fi.

Ruger American in .308 with Vortex 2-7 scope & rings
Ruger Wrangler .22 revolver
Cold Steel SRK

Under $950 incl. tax & shipping to WA state

Three tools or 3 weapons:

1. Ka-Bar (Made in New York.) military knife.

2. Estwing Camp Axe - Traditional smaller version. Made in the USA.

3. 2nd NY Ka-Bar military knife (Shorter blade.) or a BUCK brand (Made in Idaho.) fixed blade knife (Shorter blade.) like the ones that I own.

(The Ka-Bar and BUCK knives are traditional and have shorter and longer blade lengths.)

I have a favorite one for EDC too. It is the BUCK 113 Ranger Skinner fixed blade knife. (Shorter blade length, mine has the walnut handle and is several years old.)

(FIXED BLADE only knives.)

IF (?!) I decided to carry a FIREARM - it would be a RIFLE on a good leather, simple, military style SLING and it would be a CZ 457 Lux bolt action rifle in 22wmr or in 22lr.

I gifted those last 2 CZ rifles (22lr and 22wmr) of mine to my husband but I still use them.

I sure would NOT be carrying a WHOLE BUNCH of HEAVY GEAR or a WHOLE BUNCH of LIGHTER GEAR at my age (Almost 72 years old.) or even when I was younger and stronger.

I own those knives and axe already.

(Plus other quality fixed blade knives from VERY specific countries and in VERY specific styles.)

A 'hawk is nice but a good camp axe is more handy if I had a choice between 1 axe or 1 'hawk.

My SOG brand 'hawks are not heavy or awkward.

My ESTWING camp axe = smaller version is easy to use and LIGHTER weight than my other sweet ESTWING camp axe and that one has a LONGER handle.

I do not and never did plan on 'bugging out' when I lived in a very rural area back east, out here butt up to wilderness (MT) in the Sapphire Mountains or even here in town for now.

If I had to leave my land due to a SEVERE weather emergency situation - I would return to my LAND as soon as I could even if my house was gone. That goes if I am traveling with my husband and WE have to make it HOME.

So what would be IN a truck, car, van, etc. versus TRYING TO CARRY SOMETHING in our older age would be a LOT different than years ago!

I have to use a cane on and off for my 'bad days' too. A sturdy cane or a good walking stick or even a baseball bat can be used IF need be too.

There is NO way that my 6'1" tall and fairly STRONG husband with some health/disability issues even in HIS older age would carry a whole bunch of firearms, heavy ammo AND more.

He ALWAYS has one knife on HIM - HIS BODY if not two knives AND his Leatherman or SAK multi tool kit on his leather belt where it is LEGAL. (His = folding/pocket knives or a small fixed blade knife.)

He always carries a firearm unless he is in a NO GUN zone.

And he ALWAYS has an emergency kit and a hunting pack/gear with him NO matter what the weather is YEAR ROUND in his truck just as I did in blizzard country with HIGH drifts and lots of ice back east and UP in the mountains here (MT) too.

I could have severe weather in farm/lake country year round (Great Lakes region in my late husband's home state.) and I had hurricanes on the East Coast born and raised plus as a Nam era USN wife too.

I no longer drive too.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Old thread, eh, it's the internet.

OP lived in Rainier, OR. If he's still alive, that is. My pal from teenage days lived out the latter part of his life in Bandon. West of the Cascades, he figured on only two firearms for survival (he lived rough a lot). A .22 pistol, and a .22 rifle. He was a poacher, he killed deer with his .22 rifle. Oh, the third item, a good knife for gutting and skinning. But when he decided to take his own life, he used a .45 automatic. His dream firearm was an M1 Rifle and 1,000 rounds of ball ammo. Semper fi.
Last online in 2018. Who knows?

Even though old, interesting thread. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but all the cutting tools suggestions eventually had me look up some of the codes around knife carrying since I don't even carry a pocket knife nor multi-tool. Had no idea, the unintended risk and liability of carrying them w/o understanding the legalities of whatever jurisdiction one is in.

Any one of a number of Cold Steel knives- either a bowie or kukri, as a tool.
Either AK or AR15.
870, tricked out for use as a personal security carry before retirement, ghost-ring sights, extended mag tube, synthetic stock with ammo loops..
PROBABLY .45 Glock 21, possibly Browning HP 9mm...
OK, Im gonna carry all this stuff, HOW? lol.... I already own this stuff so it won't cost me no thousand dollars. Considering what I paid when I bought them years ago.. probably right around a grand in yesterday's dollars.

There's an online story about a survivor of the siege of Sarajevo, The things he mentioned were not common wisdom. When SHTF there, all the overtly fortified residences were sacked by roaming gangs. Being solo had the least chance of survival, couples not much better, grouping up was not considered taxing on limited resources but additional eyes and ears for security and chores. Lighter's and anything sanitizing were the most desired commodities, one could easy trade those for guns, ammo and food. Sanitation was the most crucial thing, bad water and minor cuts could be fatal.
Sobering considerations though, never really put much mind on SHTF, growing up in the atomic age, conditioned to think it would all end in a flash of light rather than a breakdown in social order. I wonder if that is what caused other civilizations to abandon cities abruptly.

Glock 7
88 Magnum revolver
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range

OR
Winchester 9422M (.22 Mag)
9mm pistol (pick your brand preference)
Micro Mini 380 backup (pick your brand preference)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews