JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am trying to decide on what my next gun buy will be. I will have about $450 to spend. I am leaning very heavy towards a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. But I do not wish to discount any other options. I am all about getting the most of of what funds I have. I have to be a smart buyer as my wife my I are about to have our first child(July 3rd). That is why I am looking at a .22lr rifle/pistol.

So to my question, I know it is my choice and will buy what I feel will work best for me, but I was thinking for the cost of the 15-22, I could buy Ruger 10/22 with enough left over for a Berretta Neos .22lr. Beyond the looks of the neos which I do not care about It would be a great pistol to shot of r a afternoon without going broke making holes in paper with. I do have a XD-9 that I love to shot But $20 of even 9mm goes quickly, were .22lr takes way longer lol.

What does everyone think? Should I consider it or just drop that idea like a bad habit? And go with the 15-22.

I own the 15-22 MOE and I have many .22 pistols that I've had and or seen. I'm just throwing out thoughts here, so I hope to not offend anyone.

I would go with a Pistol. List of reasons;

1. You can introduce your child early and give them a easier platform to hold and shoot.
2. If you like to share you interests, what better way than to introduce friends/family that to hand them a .22p and get the fear and trepidation out of the way.
3. You can drag a pistol around with you almost anywhere and just pull over to shoot where it is legal, even a local range that doesn't allow rifles(?) on the range. Who knows about that, but whatever.
4. Think Silencers! I have it on the pistol and the 15-22, and the 15-22 is like airsoft on mute and the pistol is like a quite nail gun or less after the frp. lol
5. If you can score both for that kinda money XD-9 working a trade, should be easy. And now you have $450 to look like a gun nut/ militant with "thousands of rounds", when you end up on the news when they accidentally break your door down instead of your neighbors.:s0112:

I bought a 15-22P when they first came out, I know they stopped making them but they are still around. best of both worlds 25 rd capacity, pistol designation, looks rad, and even though its only a 6 in barrel it has about a 12 in sight plane so it plenty accurate with quick acquisition up to about 50 yards, also has all the rails of a rifle in case you want to add some bubblegum.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the dedicated .22 AR platform is not a very good value. If you already have an AR then go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion kit. If you don't have an AR then why train on the AR platform? Of the dedicated .22 AR's the M&P seems to be the one liked the most.

As you suggested you can get into a 10/22 for half the cost and tend to be less picky about ammo. You will never regret having a 10/22 or a Mark II/III in your collection.

Like Kimber Custom said, you'll never regret owning a 10/22 or a Mark II/III. I've put thousands of rounds through mine; best value(s) in my safe. The practice time w 22LR has translated very well to centerfire weapons.

The hi-cap mags for the 10/22 and scope mounts make it a very practical choice.

I agree with most of what's been posted here. If you can get into a handgun and rifle for the same money I'd go for that. You can modify the 10/22 into just about anything you want, (but its pretty great out if the box too)

Another vote for the 10/22. You'll have money left over for optics, ammo, some 25 round factory mags, and a mag loader.

Yes, the M&P 15-22 looks cool, but the 10/22 is a much better value and you can change out the stock if you have to have tacti-cool.

I'd get a Browning Buckmark again too.

10/22 is great because you can customize it over time if you want. Rather than the Neos, I would recommend a good used Buckmark or Ruger MK pistol. Just higher quality as far as I am concerned.

If you stick with the one cool rifle scenario checkout the Walther G-22. Those things are awsome!

15-22 is plastic. Yuck.

I have a CMMG dedicated upper that works well on an AR lower. Very accurate
I also have a Sig 522 that is a great shooter. It's not getting much play lately though (cause of Speed Steel 10/22s)

My speed steel 10/22s are the bomb. (Red and Blue ones in the other post)

Get a 10/22, and a accessorize!!!!
10/22 $179.95 Bimart
TacSol barrel $180.00, MidwayUSA or numerous local places
Red Dot $60.00 any gun show or Midway
Target hammer kit $35.00 Midway
Boyd Stock $99.00 boydstocks.com

If you stick with the one cool rifle scenario checkout the Walther G-22. Those things are awsome!

I have a Walther G22 also. Absolutely the most fun .22lr rifle I have ever shot. Mine does not like Remington Golden Bullets, but likes everything else.

+1 on a Ruger Mk or 22/45 Mk series pistols. They are built to last a lifetime and are my fave .22lr pistols to shoot. I have both a MK II 22/45 and a MK III 22/45, and they are the only guns I own that go to the range every time.

Also, can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. This rifle has more aftermarket upgrades available than any other single firearm ever made.

Good luck in your search.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Capitalism is BO$$!!!

IMO the dedicated .22 AR platform is not a very good value. If you already have an AR then go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion kit. If you don't have an AR then why train on the AR platform? Of the dedicated .22 AR's the M&P seems to be the one liked the most.

As you suggested you can get into a 10/22 for half the cost and tend to be less picky about ammo. You will never regret having a 10/22 or a Mark II/III in your collection.

Couldn't agree more.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads