JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am trying to decide on what my next gun buy will be. I will have about $450 to spend. I am leaning very heavy towards a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. But I do not wish to discount any other options. I am all about getting the most of of what funds I have. I have to be a smart buyer as my wife my I are about to have our first child(July 3rd). That is why I am looking at a .22lr rifle/pistol.

So to my question, I know it is my choice and will buy what I feel will work best for me, but I was thinking for the cost of the 15-22, I could buy Ruger 10/22 with enough left over for a Berretta Neos .22lr. Beyond the looks of the neos which I do not care about It would be a great pistol to shot of r a afternoon without going broke making holes in paper with. I do have a XD-9 that I love to shot But $20 of even 9mm goes quickly, were .22lr takes way longer lol.

What does everyone think? Should I consider it or just drop that idea like a bad habit? And go with the 15-22.

I own the 15-22 MOE and I have many .22 pistols that I've had and or seen. I'm just throwing out thoughts here, so I hope to not offend anyone.

I would go with a Pistol. List of reasons;

1. You can introduce your child early and give them a easier platform to hold and shoot.
2. If you like to share you interests, what better way than to introduce friends/family that to hand them a .22p and get the fear and trepidation out of the way.
3. You can drag a pistol around with you almost anywhere and just pull over to shoot where it is legal, even a local range that doesn't allow rifles(?) on the range. Who knows about that, but whatever.
4. Think Silencers! I have it on the pistol and the 15-22, and the 15-22 is like airsoft on mute and the pistol is like a quite nail gun or less after the frp. lol
5. If you can score both for that kinda money XD-9 working a trade, should be easy. And now you have $450 to look like a gun nut/ militant with "thousands of rounds", when you end up on the news when they accidentally break your door down instead of your neighbors.:s0112:

I bought a 15-22P when they first came out, I know they stopped making them but they are still around. best of both worlds 25 rd capacity, pistol designation, looks rad, and even though its only a 6 in barrel it has about a 12 in sight plane so it plenty accurate with quick acquisition up to about 50 yards, also has all the rails of a rifle in case you want to add some bubblegum.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO the dedicated .22 AR platform is not a very good value. If you already have an AR then go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion kit. If you don't have an AR then why train on the AR platform? Of the dedicated .22 AR's the M&P seems to be the one liked the most.

As you suggested you can get into a 10/22 for half the cost and tend to be less picky about ammo. You will never regret having a 10/22 or a Mark II/III in your collection.

Like Kimber Custom said, you'll never regret owning a 10/22 or a Mark II/III. I've put thousands of rounds through mine; best value(s) in my safe. The practice time w 22LR has translated very well to centerfire weapons.

The hi-cap mags for the 10/22 and scope mounts make it a very practical choice.

I agree with most of what's been posted here. If you can get into a handgun and rifle for the same money I'd go for that. You can modify the 10/22 into just about anything you want, (but its pretty great out if the box too)

Another vote for the 10/22. You'll have money left over for optics, ammo, some 25 round factory mags, and a mag loader.

Yes, the M&P 15-22 looks cool, but the 10/22 is a much better value and you can change out the stock if you have to have tacti-cool.

I'd get a Browning Buckmark again too.

10/22 is great because you can customize it over time if you want. Rather than the Neos, I would recommend a good used Buckmark or Ruger MK pistol. Just higher quality as far as I am concerned.

If you stick with the one cool rifle scenario checkout the Walther G-22. Those things are awsome!

15-22 is plastic. Yuck.

I have a CMMG dedicated upper that works well on an AR lower. Very accurate
I also have a Sig 522 that is a great shooter. It's not getting much play lately though (cause of Speed Steel 10/22s)

My speed steel 10/22s are the bomb. (Red and Blue ones in the other post)

Get a 10/22, and a accessorize!!!!
10/22 $179.95 Bimart
TacSol barrel $180.00, MidwayUSA or numerous local places
Red Dot $60.00 any gun show or Midway
Target hammer kit $35.00 Midway
Boyd Stock $99.00 boydstocks.com

If you stick with the one cool rifle scenario checkout the Walther G-22. Those things are awsome!

I have a Walther G22 also. Absolutely the most fun .22lr rifle I have ever shot. Mine does not like Remington Golden Bullets, but likes everything else.

+1 on a Ruger Mk or 22/45 Mk series pistols. They are built to last a lifetime and are my fave .22lr pistols to shoot. I have both a MK II 22/45 and a MK III 22/45, and they are the only guns I own that go to the range every time.

Also, can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. This rifle has more aftermarket upgrades available than any other single firearm ever made.

Good luck in your search.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Capitalism is BO$$!!!

IMO the dedicated .22 AR platform is not a very good value. If you already have an AR then go with either a dedicated upper or a conversion kit. If you don't have an AR then why train on the AR platform? Of the dedicated .22 AR's the M&P seems to be the one liked the most.

As you suggested you can get into a 10/22 for half the cost and tend to be less picky about ammo. You will never regret having a 10/22 or a Mark II/III in your collection.

Couldn't agree more.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top