JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would have to agree with the 10/22 crowd! I have one that I have owned for about 15 years and put about 15000+ rounds through and it just keeps eating the rounds! I am contemplating buying another one to add to the collection as well and at 179.00 at Bi-Mart they can't be beat. I also have a Browning Buckmark and it keeps going too. Twice the fun for the money!

I can't say whether I'd go for a rifle or pistol other than to say I'd try to get both.

I'm a huge fan of the Ruger Standard. I happen to have one marked "Made in the 200th Year of American Liberty" or similar, but I like them better than the MK models. At first Ruger made the Standard. Then they introduced the MK I which was the first bull barrel target model. I don't prefer carrying those. They are heavier and the sights are more likely to catch on a holster.

In the second series starting in the very early 80's the "Standard" became the MK II.

There are several fine choices in rifles IMHO. Marlin 60, Savage bolt, Ruger 10/22, or my old standby, the Rem. Nylon 66.

But I'd be on the hunt for a real nice Ruger Standard with a 6" barrel.

rs.jpg

Pick up a 22lr drop in conversion for you AR. ~$150 and your AR fix is taken care of.

Pick up a 10/22 (Bimart or hunt pawn shops for the rare deal)- ~$200

take that $100 pick up either extra mags, or a PA red dot to run.

+1

That works . And just to add to this statement. Most of the .22 conversion kits I have ever put in my AR have worked really well.

+1

That works . And just to add to this statement. Most of the .22 conversion kits I have ever put in my AR have worked really well.

What about the Ruger SR-22 and the Ruger 10-22 Takedown Rifle?

I f I get a Ruger takedown rifle and later decide to make it into a bullpup, will the takedown feature create issues?

I'm very fond of the Browing .22 Auto. It's an elegant petite take down rifle that that is all a .22 needs to be. The 10/22 is fat and clubby in comparison. Granted, these days new they are way too expensive but if you can find a used one they are a sweet little rifle. In lever guns, the Marlin 39A or Win 9422 are both nice rifles. I have a bit of bias against the Henry because of the non-steel receiver but for the money they're not a bad plinker. Don't overlook the multitude of used .22s on the market. There's a whole world of neat stuff at good prices outside the local retail store.

In handguns, the Buckmark, Ruger Single-six, Several of the S&W revolvers are all fun and hold their value.

The wife's P22 shoots nice and has a very nice trigger, not a fan of the de-cocker and complexity of changing out grips. I prefer my SR22, overall feel and performance are great. There have been some issues with the early production models, nothing major but metal shavings from the slide rubbing. Either is just as accurate as it's user, it more comes down to feel and little differences in features.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top