JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lots of options

S&W 15-22P
15-22s.jpg

Henry Frontier Lever
IMG_0282small.jpg

S&W Model 34-1
IMG_0328s.jpg

S&W K-22
IMG_0187.jpg

Looks like Redmond shares my belief that a 22 should be used as a training tool. Choose one that feels like your full power guns in heft, grip dimensions and trigger pull and alternate shooting them at the range. The cheaper ammo extends the shooting session and the light recoil will help cure the dreaded flinch.

I bought a 223 Stevens bolty for the same reason, it has the same scope as my hunting rifle.

Another vote for Ruger 10/22 and Mark II or III combo. They are made in America, have lifetime warranties, and the 10/22 you can customize to your liking. I just picked up a takedown 10/22 and have to say that is a sweet rifle. Took it out and my mark III and fired over 300 rounds with zero FTF.

Looks like Redmond shares my belief that a 22 should be used as a training tool. Choose one that feels like your full power guns in heft, grip dimensions and trigger pull and alternate shooting them at the range. The cheaper ammo extends the shooting session and the light recoil will help cure the dreaded flinch.

I bought a 223 Stevens bolty for the same reason, it has the same scope as my hunting rifle.

You are exactly correct.

The Henry has a big brother Winchester 94 in .30 WCF.
The Model 34 has a big sister Model 36 .38 Special that is my EDC.
The K-22 also has a sibling K-38.

Just to be contrary to the 10/22 fanatics, get a Marlin 60 or 795.

I like the Marlin more myself, but the problem is once you buy that gun that is all it will ever be (aside from a trigger spring kit and limited stock change out options). I have a Model 60 stainless with the grey stock that is gorgeous, and with the new spring kit the trigger it awesome, wouldn't trade it for the world, but have to give it to the 10/22 when it comes to growing up with a gun.

You can start out with it as your first gun as a kid (bare bones bacic), upgrade the trigger/stock as you get older, once you start earning more money (hopefully) later in life you can start adding Volquartzen barrels and high end red dots or scopes. You can even change it into a bullpup configuration.

Out of the box, I think the Model 60 is prettier (yes, it matters), just as reliable, and a better shooter, but after that the 10/22 can become whatever you want it to be. Hard to beat. By the way, I have never even owned a 10/22. Just always been jealous of all the options people who did had that I didn't.

I also like the model 60 better. Ive had mine since I was 12. I picked up a 10/22 a few years back and like it too but I think my model 60 puts out better groups and is more reliable. I probably have the only 10/22 that has problems but problems it has... I got it used so who knows its history but it doesnt look like it had it too rough. It gets dirty real fast and starts having problems. Sometimes as soon as 100-200 rounds. My model 60 has gone basically every where with me for 15 years and has had some rough rides and is still accurate and reliable. It will take 1000 rounds and still fire. I would get a used model 60 or 10/22 and a used buckmark or MK If I was in the market for .22's with your budget. Get a pre 2000 model 60 with the 22inch barrel if you get one. Should be able to find one for $100 bucks if you look around a little. Youll have fun with any .22

IMO I wouldn't get the M&P 15-22. Simply because I feel that it is over priced for a .22 rifle, you can buy an AR-15 and drop a $100 conversion kit in there and have a much more versatile firearm. What I would buy would be a Ruger 22 or a Marlin bolt action 22, both are very reliable and fun. If you went with the latter it would leave you some money left over to put towards a pistol. As far a pistols go i would suggest you take a look at the ruger 22/45 or any of the pistols in the Chippa line.

whenever I go shooting people always end up shooting my MK3 22/45 and 10/22, the 60 rarely get used. I never tell people what they should shoot but I always give them the option to pick whatever they want. I think the popularity stems from the ease of reloading, and I have a bunch of mags ready to go, including a 50 and few 25's. A buddy has a MK1 and it is shot almost as much as my 22/45, and any AR style gets abused. Levers do fairly well just because they are fun, especially the Henry's. But just about any tube fed semi gets left in the back of the truck bed. I have a Marlin (Glenfield, 1974) 60 and it is in near new shape because it never gets used.

Thanks for all the great info everyone. I will look at the 10/22 a bit more and put into consideration that it will eat just about any .22 ammo. So what I will not consider would be a dedicated .22 upper for a AR. This is mostly due to cost for a complete firearm. I am very much on a limited budget and can not go above the limit I original post. I did find some more info about the neos and have removed that from the table. I will just use the extra cash(if i choose a 10/22)to buy a scope and other needed stuff(gun case).

I know that there are lots of people who love the 22/45. My buddy has one that i shot for the first time when before I got my first firearm earlier this year. My personal issues with it is how you have to field strip it. I know some might say that it is still a worthy firearm but for me I think they should just keep it simple and it is not for someone who is new IMO.

While someone suggested the SR22 I have fired my buddies Walther P22. While It is a great firearm it just a but too small for my large hands. If someone knows of a .22 pistol(other then buckmark) for me to consider.

Ruger mk iii 22/45 for a pistol choice, you might have enough to get a Marlin mod. 60 as well.

The Ruger is a bit picky on ammo, but you can shoot anything through the Marlin!!
I didnt see where you are from o.p., but you can shoot mine some time if you are in the sw wa area.
Just shoot me a pm and we can meet up some time.

Get the Sam lam bushing for the 2245 and you can field strip and put it back together in 30 seconds, it's ten bucks. Gets rid of the mag disconnect as that is the issue.

Sent from my iPhone, haters to the left.

Ruger 10/22 and a ruger 10/22 charger. Basically, the charger pistol is a shrunk down 10/22 and you can use the same mags for both. Just for fun you could pick up the arch angle after market stocks for both and then they are a tactical matching pair. LOL but seriously check out the Ruger 10/22 charger also. Here are a couple of reviews also I think Nutnfancy does reviews on the Buckmark, 22/45, 15/22, sr556, 795, sig mosquito, marlin papoose, and probably many more. Those are just the ones I can pull off the top of my head. Enjoy.

Here is a review of the 10/22 Charger pistol.
Ruger Charger .22 pistol: Refined .22 Firepower - YouTube

and for good measure here is one on the 10/22 rifle.
Ruger 10/22: The Everyman's Rifle, Part 1 - YouTube
Ruger 10/22: The Everyman's Rifle, Part 2 - YouTube

whenever I go shooting people always end up shooting my MK3 22/45 and 10/22, the 60 rarely get used. I never tell people what they should shoot but I always give them the option to pick whatever they want. I think the popularity stems from the ease of reloading, and I have a bunch of mags ready to go, including a 50 and few 25's. A buddy has a MK1 and it is shot almost as much as my 22/45, and any AR style gets abused. Levers do fairly well just because they are fun, especially the Henry's. But just about any tube fed semi gets left in the back of the truck bed. I have a Marlin (Glenfield, 1974) 60 and it is in near new shape because it never gets used.

It does take some practice to get good at loading the tube fed rifles for sure. Theres a technique to it I guess. I can have them topped off in about 10 seconds if that. But Ive been loading them since I was 7. I definitely didnt start out that quick. Newbys never shoot mine either. They just look at me like "how the heck do you do that?" when I chase cans for 150 rounds while their loading mags for the ruger.lol. Do you want to sell you model 60? Im looking for another one. A pre 1985...

With just a couple bucks more, you could get both the Ruger 10/22 & SR22 pistol. I have both and they are a ton of fun to shoot and very reliable.

+1

Bi Mart regularly sells 10/22's for $179.00, or you could get one used somewhere and if you look you can find the Ruger SR22 (pistol) for about $350 +/-

I LOVE shooting the SR22. You can shoot it all day long for peanuts. Plus it's a great trainer gun. When friends want to learn to shoot it's the gun that comes out.

You can also stuff 100 rounds in your pocket and just keep reaching in and reloading. I keep my targets a few yards from the table. I'm talking about woods shooting.

Pick up a 22lr drop in conversion for you AR. ~$150 and your AR fix is taken care of.

Pick up a 10/22 (Bimart or hunt pawn shops for the rare deal)- ~$200

take that $100 pick up either extra mags, or a PA red dot to run.

I have the CMMG dedicated 22LR upper and it works well. It does get finicky after about 200 rounds and news some cleaning. Now I'm shooting in Speed steel where 1 jam on a stage is a pain, 2 is too much. I have a buddy with the drop in setup and his is even more temperamental.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top