JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I inherited some mystery box labeled 22 short, and a box of Rem 22 Long. Both are very old ammo.
whats interesting is the 22 long is shorter than the 22 Shorts... unless that mystery box is mislabled...

Question: Can I safely fire 22 short, 22 long, in my 22LR cylinder?

left to right : 22s, 22l, 22lr
1683959166660.png

Bullets on the left and the right are both 22LR. The one in the middle is .22 Long. No shorts in the picture.
That was my suspicion, the taped up box is mislabled. Everythings old except my LRs. I just want to fire them off to get rid of them.

It'll gunk up the cylinder and make 22lr a bit of a trick to load and extract without cleaning though if you shoot a lot.
all I have is whats in the pic. I could take a cleaning rod and some solvent to the range if needed....

The cool thing about 22 lr firearms is that they'll fire, for the most part, with short, long, or long rifle but unless the mechanism of the firearm is specifically designed for one type, it may malfunction on running the action to chamber a new round. Revolvers are excluded and single shots of course. They just get dirty as stated before.

Might be worth it. They're a lot of fun to shoot. Especially if you get some real shorts. Like a cap gun.
I was curious how loud the shorts were without earpro...
But it doesnt look like my box is actually 22shorts.

I do have a box of 22LR subsonics though....

When I was young, a friend brought his little 22LR handgun but we loaded it with 22 shorts. Then we ran around the yard popping mice. You have to get close, like a yard to kill 'em. Then it will blow them in half. Fun times. Fun times.

In my rifles , shooting a .22 Short is much quieter than many Air rifles.
That said...my rifles are older bolt actions with 24 inch barrels

Shooting .22short or .22Long may also mean a different point of aim in your .22LR firearm.
Andy

In my rifles , shooting a .22 Short is much quieter than many Air rifles.
That said...my rifles are older bolt actions with 24 inch barrels

Shooting .22short or .22Long may also mean a different point of aim in your .22LR firearm.
Andy
I'm almost surprised a .22 shorty doesn't squib in a 24" barrel.

I'm almost surprised a .22 shorty doesn't squib in a 24" barrel.
I have never had that happen in all my years of shooting.
I have read of it...just not experienced it.

I have also shot .22CB through those rifles...no squib there either.
That said...I don't make a habit of doing so.
I mostly use the .22CB from my revolver to put down wounded birds.
Andy

I was curious how loud the shorts were without earpro...
But it doesnt look like my box is actually 22shorts.

I do have a box of 22LR subsonics though....
My experience is that cb shorts through a long barrel are quiet. Regular shorts are louder than cb but similar to low powered 22lr.

Cb shorts through a revolver are loud due to the cylinder gap.

Imo no shorts compare to 22lr with suppressor in terms of noise. 22 suppressors only cost about $150 for a good one (excluding stamp of course) and imo are worth every penny. 22lr subs with suppressor are about 110 db in a bolt gun which is almost exactly the same sound level as opening a can of pop. Another reference is that cycling the action (pulling handle and letting go as if it were cycling normally) on a semi auto 22 is about 115db. 5db = 50% more perceived sound so in other words cycling the action with no bullets on a semi auto is 50% louder than shooting a bolt gun with suppressor and subs.

Here is an 18" bolt 22lr shooting cci quiet compared to dropping a pencil on a wood floor. The loudest part of the shot is the bullet hitting the target.

Last Edited:
Well I dont have a suppressor but a 22lr bolt gun suppresed would make a great urban rat gun...

since its safe if I can find some shorts and longs I'll have to give them a try. This is the only revolver I own and picked up a spare LR cylinder for it for the fun of it so Im just curious what all the different 22s will sound like out of it.

Well I dont have a suppressor but a 22lr bolt gun suppresed would make a great urban rat gun...

since its safe if I can find some shorts and longs I'll have to give them a try. This is the only revolver I own and picked up a spare LR cylinder for it for the fun of it so Im just curious what all the different 22s will sound like out of it.
Agree. I bought 2 of the armscor m14y guns for $120 ea out the door from lucky sporting goods. They have proven to be a very accurate rifles. If it wasn't for that darned tax stamp total cost would be $120 + $150 for suppressed pesting gun. I use for heavier pests with airgun pistol doing 99% of the pesting work.

45AC8061-40D1-4A11-9B26-94001FBFDF1D.jpeg
12F321FD-DF07-4BB5-93AA-7C600C98EB09.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR