JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you have a habit of touching the trigger while safety is off, they are horrible.

You'll be ok if you can keep your finger off the trigger until you're trying to shoot something.

H

If its just a run of the mill, springfield mil spec, you're pretty safe, as long as you dont chuck it on the ground with the muzzle pointing up.

I have carried a 1911"cocked and Locked" for the last couple of years with no problems whatsoever, like halmbarte said, keep the booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be fine.

I carry with one in the pipe all the time. No problem, very safe. If your finger is off the trigger and you grip safety works no problem. But always keep your thumb safety on when.
As to going off unexpectedly very, very rare.

I've carried a loaded 1911 with no issues either. As with any other firearm, keep your finger off the trigger until you want to fire.

The 1911 design is very safe. I have never known anyone who has had an AD of a 1911 in condition 1 (round chambered, hammer back, with safety on).

Now an ND--that I have not only heard of, but seen.

I don't know about Springfields, but Colt series 80's and Kimbers both have a firing pin safety system (Colts works on the trigger disenaging the firing pin, Kimbers the grip safety disenages the firing pin) so it would really hard for the pistol to fire without human interaction.

Acccidental discharges can happen with any pistol that has an exposed hammer without a firing pin block.. I have been involved with 2.. One was my fault another was potential my fault, but not in my hand,,

Most often a drop, or other accidential discharge is problematic. If GOD is smiling, hopefully you won't get hurt, but embassed badly.

Learning from one's mistakes, is an important lesson.

I have carried a 1911"cocked and Locked" for the last couple of years with no problems whatsoever, like halmbarte said, keep the booger hook off the bang switch and you'll be fine.

This.
Guns don't go off on their own
You have to have the grip safety depressed AND the thumb safety off AND your finger on the trigger
If you do all three of those things, there's no accident, you're negligent.

Guns actually do go off on their own when parts break. You could make the argument that it's still a ND not an AD, since it's the shooter's responsibility to maintain his weapon. But a buddy of mine once killed a phone book in his bedroom; he was chambering his 1911 and the hammer dropped when the slide closed. You could dismiss this as a non-first-hand story, but I did see the nightstand with the perforated books in it.

Acccidental discharges can happen with any pistol that has an exposed hammer without a firing pin block.. I have been involved with 2.. One was my fault another was potential my fault, but not in my hand,,

Most often a drop, or other accidential discharge is problematic. If GOD is smiling, hopefully you won't get hurt, but embassed badly.

Learning from one's mistakes, is an important lesson.

So these were in fact NDs,correct?

Going off all by it's self....nope never heard of it happening.

I have been at an accidental shooting where a new 1911 owner tried to lower the hammer on a live round and put one through his right femer.
I think every cop in the city showed up to see the guy who accidnetly shot him self with a .45
I still give my friend heck for that mistake.

Going off all by it's self....nope never heard of it happening.

I have been at an accidental shooting where a new 1911 owner tried to lower the hammer on a live round and put one through his right femer.
I think every cop in the city showed up to see the guy who accidnetly shot him self with a .45
I still give my friend heck for that mistake.
good feedback mountainrunner,it may keep someone else from making the same painful mistake.
that's the kind of accidental discharge i was wondering about.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews