JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK gang -

This is part of the way of how the

Rubber really hits the road.

http://www.folkstreams.net/film,188

enjoy

isher

Wow. It occurred to me that a valuable trade would be blacksmith, by which many of those tools were made.

Talk about a gorgeous log. Hard to come by today, I'd bet. I couldn't ID the species - only that it was hardwood.

Anyone figure out the species? When they were falling it, it didn't look like cyprus to me. ??

You have three key elements to success: (1) An overriding cause and commonality - you are all family, and that supersedes all other differences. (2) You have a variety of skills, life experiences, genders, and age groups - very important. MOST important, is that you have land! And (3), you have tolerance, and you accept that cosmological beliefs are a personal choice and not part of the group dynamic.

I envy you, that's an awesome and rare combination of necessary elements.

Funny -

It must be karma,

But I've spent my entire adult life dealing with

Unrelated groups of individuals.

With pretty good success overall,

Save for the occasional "bum's rush"

For someone completely out of line.

Other than that, the three definitions stated above

Apply equally well to an entirely unrelated group of

Individuals as a blood related group,

In my experience.

As my late mother would often say,

"It is simply hybrid vigor!"

isher

ps

Half of my Ma's relatives were French Hugenot rebels who arrived in Louisiana if the early 1500's. The other half

Were on the original boat to what was called Jamestown, also in the early 1500's.

Go figure.

As she said

"I am one of the few women around who is both A Daughter of The Confederacy

And A Daughter of The Republic, and

I despise both organizations equally."

And I cannot even begin to describe the whip she put to the word "despise".

I'll leave you with that to consider.

isher

Funny -

It must be karma,

But I've spent my entire adult life dealing with

Unrelated groups of individuals.

With pretty good success overall,

Save for the occasional "bum's rush"

For someone completely out of line.

Other than that, the three definitions stated above

Apply equally well to an entirely unrelated group of

Individuals as a blood related group,

In my experience.

As my late mother would often say,

"It is simply hybrid vigor!"

isher

Have you done that when people were hungry and you had to decide whether to feed someone else's kids or yourself? Have you relied on people to feed your kids instead of themselves?

Would someone give the last of something needed to one of your kids instead of keeping it for himself?

If it's life or death, would someone die for your child? Would you die for their child? You would die for your grandchild or your mom or dad or your child, I promise.

I would die for anyone in our group, and believe they would for me. I'm either their dad or their son or their grandpa.

How far can the group push it if the SHTF and stays that way for ten years?

Well, Gunner

One of the few and only times my Dad spoke of WWII

Was when the 14th Airforce was in full retreat due to

An overwhelming assault by the Japanese.

He was in charge of a couple miles worth of convoy

Running South, everything from oxcarts

To deuce and a halfs.

Over very tough mountain roads.

Chaos.

Chinamen and chinawomen were dying

To keep the convoy together.

GI's were dying to keep the convoy together.

And they made it through, but with a lot of casualties,

None were related, so to speak.

Fortunately, I have never been tested with

A task of that magnitude.

But I listened at my father's knee..........

Just sayin'

isher

My dad speaks of such things - Normandy to Belgium. Purple heart and bronze star.

What if it's longer and slower and no heat of battle? What if it's just everyday survival with no supply lines and none on the way? What if it's a motley group of all ages, sexes and abilities? What if rather than an adrenaline filled task at hand for days, it's mundane survival (or not) for years?

No one knows if the Donner party actually killed the weak and ate them, although many believe they did. We just know they ate the ones who died.

I think we could easily underestimate what primal survival would really be like for a period of years if it came to that.

But, maybe you're right. How would I know?

Have you done that when people were hungry and you had to decide whether to feed someone else's kids or yourself? Have you relied on people to feed your kids instead of themselves?

Would someone give the last of something needed to one of your kids instead of keeping it for himself?

If it's life or death, would someone die for your child? Would you die for their child? You would die for your grandchild or your mom or dad or your child, I promise.

I would die for anyone in our group, and believe they would for me. I'm either their dad or their son or their grandpa.

How far can the group push it if the SHTF and stays that way for ten years?

Gunner, that's exactly the point of this exercise. I'm trying to find out if unrelated people can foster enough altruism to put their own welfare aside for the good of the group.

Yes, you are fortunate indeed! We all wish for family as you seem to have. I want to say what I hope everyone else feels... good on you!

Would someone give the last of what they had for one of my kids? That's the group I want to be in! and I hope in return I would reciprocate!

BTW: trying to post the list as is (about 60 questions with some narrative so far), but I get a too large of a file message, won't let me do it. I was trying to hit the edit button and link it. :confused: but no dice?

Gunner, that's exactly the point of this exercise. I'm trying to find out if unrelated people can foster enough altruism to put their own welfare aside for the good of the group.

Yes, you are fortunate indeed! We all wish for family as you seem to have. I want to say what I hope everyone else feels... good on you!

Would someone give the last of what they had for one of my kids? That's the group I want to be in! and I hope in return I would reciprocate!

BTW: trying to post the list as is (about 60 questions with some narrative so far), but I get a too large of a file message, won't let me do it. I was trying to hit the edit button and link it. :confused: but no dice?

I feel that this line of thinking and acting toward group members would be a good question as something like, "if you were in a SHTF scenario and away from you base of operation when a firefight broke out how far would you go to make sure a fellow member who got wounded made it back". Something like going on a long range recon or like wise. I know most would like all members to be able body but what if that happened, would you still feel the same way if an injured member could no longer "pull their own share of the load" something to think about, and what is the differance if they start out that way "having a disability" or end up that way later.

I kind of agree with "isher" there. You are going to have to know people long term in order to form a cohesive unit and even then, the stress of the situation will develop flaws that were never evident before. Anyone who has seem combat has witnessed the changes in people. Some grow into the position, adapting and becoming stronger, while other seemingly strong people fall apart. I wish you luck. What ever your final plan, have plenty of firepower and ammunition, because once the grasshoppers find out about the "Ant" being all prepared, they will descend like the locust they are. If you have food and I have guns, then I will end up with food and guns. Just the law of the jungle.

Welcome, Rebelcop121, unfortunately you're probably right.

Might makes right!? I think that in a catastophic situation, we will see just how base human nature can be when pushed to survive.

Isher has posted previously, "love the one you're with"...if not related, a group really should, in a perfect world, know their members intimately (no innuendos implied) to co-exist comfortably.

Anyway, the first draft of '101' is complete. Now I just have to figure a way to post it.:confused: Needs to be edited, input welcome! For now, I can attach it in an E-mail if requested.
Thanks,
Will

Will,

You can send me a draft if you'd like to :
[email protected]

I'm on duty tonight in the office until 0400. Burning the midnight oil for your tax dollars. I worked Christmas and Christmas Eve and now get to work New Years Eve and Day as well. Normal for being a COP. I'm interested in the questions you came up with. Don't know if I will be of any help, but I'll give it a try.

Very interesting read, I skipped some but....
My Crew and I have discussed it before a little in jest BUT with a serious undertone. Like minds would be number one IMHO. When I lived in UCLA (FL Peninsula) I had a month of food, 1k rounds EA .40, .223, .22. 200ish rnds .30-06, and 12ga. A couple Spear guns a 70lb bulldog and a big Med Kit. I worked at Ranger School so I had a lot of like minded Peps. a whole Camp in fact. so I felt pretty secure. Having just moved back from Europe I am rebuilding my stash. BUT depending if I had to hunker down here in greater Oly, or bug out to my Dads place on the peninsula I would take these three families with me. We are all medics from the basic medic to SF medic, we all grew up in the PNW, hunting, fishing, growing gardens, ect. So to ask a Question it would have to be questions mirroring MY values. IMHO
Aqua

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads