JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nomadic folks didn't have to worry about property boundries. the wildlife and vegatation were more abundant than today. You go about your nomadic ways and that cow you spy down the road belongs to someone and is probably being watched by a 'shepard' who has his crosshairs on you. The apple orchard you want to walk to is across a very wide open field, good chance it's a kill zone for a preset ambush. I will stick to the Ft. unless I see a real threat coming my way.

Remember, that a person escaping a disaster without a place to go is a refugee and person with a firearm and no place to go is an armed refugee.

SF-

Always one of my favorites, thanks Silver Fox!

Yes, the idea that you can get away from anything when it happens (whatever that is), as has been mentioned before, is too late, and you will be viewed as the same zombies that you're trying to flee from!

An apple orchard huh? I like that.

Since we are currently battling cancer, I have become more aware of the medicinal uses of herbs in healing.

Interestingly, the word "drug" is derived from the Dutch term "droog" which means "to dry", since people have historically dried plants to make medicines.

I have found that some of the chemo drugs are actually plant/herb derivatives.

So, how about:
What do you know about folk healing?
Can you take apart and put together a 1911?
Can you play a musical instrument?
How do you treat someone in shock?

Will

Well, that's a gnomic quartet of questions

If I ever saw one.

"Folk healing" is a worldwide phenomenon which

Is a predecessor to the AMA's unilateral decision that

They were the only real doctors.

Kaaa-Chinnnnggg!

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, find yourself a good

Naturopathic doctor. They go through schooling just as rigorous.

1911. Yup. But with a kicker. I can strip and rebuild all

My firearms, and various tools/machines to boot.

Played a lot of piano in earlier years. Switched over to blues harp

Because it was a **** of a lot easier to move than a piano.

Shock. This is a nice terse description,

Better than I could write: <broken link removed>

Which reminds me I need to re-up my CPR card.

Now my question is,

Why these four questions?

isher

I would say that in order to be completely sure of your crew, you should draw from people you already know. People whose character and skillset you already know.

Something to consider if you are adding to your group post-shtf. The person seeking entry could be an infiltrator from another group seeking to take your gear.

Assuming that you want to bug out with your group, where could you even go? Within 100 miles of PDX there is not too much public land. It is unlikely that members of your group will own adjoining properties... you will likely be facing armed property owners who will not appreciate your presence.

How will you feed your group? There is not much area for farming around here, that is land that is not already occupied. You could head to the hills, but game will become scarce, there is not much farming to be done in the mountains.

How will you defend yourselves? If the case is total breakdown of social and governmental order, certainly there will be elements that are better armed than you. Consider the proliferation of military hardware in such a scenario.

If there is some governmental/military establishment, you will want to be farther out than 100miles from the city as your armed group will certainly be considered a threat.

How will you travel? How will you transport your goods?

Having a small group of friends & family whom you know and trust with your life is the only group that you could really trust. Of these people, choose who has the best property for bugging in (can accommodate everyone, can be fortified). Make sure that everyone, independently has a few months supply of provisions. Coordinate a plan ahead of time, everyone meet at said location with all their gear and ride it out as long as possible.

As far as skills go, get together and find out who knows what. Discover what skills/equipment are missing and assign members of your party to start learning/acquiring the skills/gear that are lacking. Go camping together, go shooting together, start eating healthy, exercise, work out more, etc.

forget the madmax/red dawn scenarios, that will just fill your head with nonsense. Read some history, hone your skills, get in shape, stash food/water/fuel.

Shibbershabber, there are some books that I'll need to read soon recommended by some of the other posters on survival. There's so many variables to consider in this scenario. I'm hoping to glean some direction from these books, but you can only go so far by reading.

You and others seem to have a pretty good grasp on the what ifs.

I don't know if you have made plans already or that you've just been thinking about this longer than I have but I'm impressed by what you've come up with!

I don't however, agree with you regarding growing in the mountains. I think within a very short time (6 months or so) you could set up greenhouses...if time permitted.

If it's a bug out though...all bets are off.

How would you feed, transport and defend yourself are some of your questions and will be included. Thanks,
Will

Well, that's a gnomic quartet of questions

If I ever saw one.

"Folk healing" is a worldwide phenomenon which

Is a predecessor to the AMA's unilateral decision that

They were the only real doctors.

Kaaa-Chinnnnggg!

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, find yourself a good

Naturopathic doctor. They go through schooling just as rigorous.

1911. Yup. But with a kicker. I can strip and rebuild all

My firearms, and various tools/machines to boot.

Played a lot of piano in earlier years. Switched over to blues harp

Because it was a **** of a lot easier to move than a piano.

Shock. This is a nice terse description,

Better than I could write: <broken link removed>

Which reminds me I need to re-up my CPR card.

Now my question is,

Why these four questions?

isher

Isher, got me again! Yes, mysterious and yet somehow wise. Pretty close to gnomic anyway.

I've been called rebel without a clue among others but gnomic?...:p

Regarding my four questions, it's interesting how seemingly unrelated questions will illicit revealing or underlying facts about someone. When I asked for instance, if you play any instruments? Your response may indicate everything from abilities to be inventive, closed minded, open minded, gregarious, inhibited...ad naseum...however; it might just be that I wanted to start a band.

Seriously, if you keep an ear open for what people say but more importantly what they dont say, you can learn a lot. I guess I'm just some kind of latent student of human emotion.

Will -

"it's interesting how seemingly unrelated questions will illicit revealing or underlying facts about someone"

I surely hope you meant "elicit" rather than "illicit", but

Maybe you didn't.

isher

I don't however, agree with you regarding growing in the mountains. I think within a very short time (6 months or so) you could set up greenhouses...if time permitted.

I made the comment with the coast range in mind, since thats where I shoot/hunt/camp.

The terrain is steep and there are many trees and rocks. Clearing an area large enough to grow food for that many people would take an immense amount of work with manual labor, not to mention replacement tools needed to finish the job as you would certainly break saws, shovels, axes, etc. You would then need to have equipment to work the fields, etc. Not to mention seeds, irrigation, etc. Assuming that you got several acres of semi-flat terrain cleared and planted... you would have to worry about security as well.

The greenhouses present a similar logistical problem.

Greenhouses or clearing fields, you would certainly have to contend with weather. Suppose SHTF goes down in November... wintering in the hills might be too much for some to bear.

I am a definite proponent of bugging in. Being prepared ahead of time and laying as low as possible until things clear up... or at least until things settle down and you can begin to devise an alternate plan.

If shtf, I want to be able to not leave my property for a month or so if thats what I have to do... maybe longer. If no one knows you are there, no one will bother you. Dont answer to anyone who isnt in your group. Maybe have someone keep a lookout, use pre-arranged signals (keep off of CB/FRS for a while), etc.

If I could suggest two books, although they have nothing to do with SHTF nor are they necessarily survival oriented.

1. "Undaunted Courage" (about Lewis & Clark expedition)
2. "Jackson's Way: Andrew Jackson & the people of the western waters"

Again, not really SHTF related but it does give good accounts of what life/travel/fighting/logistics/communitcation, etc are like in a non-technological age, which may certainly come about post SHTF... you probably wont be fighting indians either but nevertheless they are good reads.

I would also recommend reading about the Balkans. There are many survival stories from the many conflicts that plagued that region. The most recent conflicts in the 90's being the most relevant. There were very urbanized people living in major cities. Food/water/electricity were not reliable, there were snipers and all sorts of dangers. The city of Sarejevo was under siege for 4 years. Those are the most relevant stories of survival in modern cities, involving modern weapons, etc.

"When the going gets weird,

The weird turn pro."

Dr. Hunter S Thompson

isher

One of my all time favorites! "Fear and Loathing in ..." coming to your neighborhood soon!

As I've been reviewing the thread responses, one element in particular sticks out. It's the fact that nobody knows what the scenario will really be like, but that preparing for this scenario is really important.

I recently took the Utah CFL class and heard something very awakening, the instructor said; " you will do in a fight, what you trained to do!" and I thought to myself, I really haven't trained specifically for anything! not in shtf, use of lethal force, etc...I've got my CPR and First Aid cards but they're from 5 years ago. I've gone to firing range and taken various firearm classes...well you see where I'm going!

All I ever do is think to myself what I would do in certain situations...maybe this, maybe that and conclude nothing and this could lead to the ultimate death sentence caused by, 'indecision'!

I think Isher posted early on, would the group be formed as a hierarchy or by consensus? I would like to think consensus, as this parallels democracy and is seemingly less contentious than ruled by the "one", but if the group is indecisive, it could lead to disaster.

Perhaps a well trained, decisive, heirarchical group.
How would you see yourself fitting into this type of group?

I know you didn't ask me, but excellent point about not being able to plan for an exact scenario. I've thought and thought about that. We pilots have a joke that "flying is hours and hours of boredom interrupted by moments of sheer terror" or something like that. Flying will teach you that you can train and practice to be good at what you do and to be able to handle yourself and your equipment instinctively, but sometimes you need an element of luck.

As for whether someone should be the leader, I say yes. That's true in every organization I've ever worked for or civic group I've ever belonged to. Certain people with certain skills were put in charge of their areas but still accountable to a leader. The opposite is called anarchy imho and doesn't work well. A business would fail with that model I believe.

Carry on. You guys are interesting. :s0155:

"I think Isher posted early on, would the group be formed as a hierarchy or by consensus? I would like to think consensus, as this parallels democracy and is seemingly less contentious than ruled by the "one", but if the group is indecisive, it could lead to disaster.

Perhaps a well trained, decisive, heirarchical group.
How would you see yourself fitting into this type of group?"

Ahhhh, grasshopper,

There is another way..........

The fundamental question here is,

How do you create an organization in which everyone

Is well trained, decisive, and a leader?

Simple, but difficult, due to the prevailing mindset.

You completely flatten the organization.

Vertical hierarchy disappears, to be replaced

By wall to wall horizontal effectivity.

Now, you might think I'm blowing smoke here;

However I was a part of accomplishing just that in

A company of a couple thousand employees and five separate

Manufacturing facilities, over the last ten years.

It is similar to the old "teach a man to fish" koan.

The plant managers, the supervisors, the leads, the people

All understand the strategic plan, and as such are free to

Make that plan real as they see fit.

True success in management is not being required to manage.

In other words, ten years ago, my single focus was to work

Myself out of my job. Have succeeded in that several times.

Do I still have a job? Yup.

My focus at present? Work myself out of my job.

So, I ask this.

In a tough situation, when the bubblegum is really hitting the fan,

Would you rather be with a group of people you utterly trust

To do the right thing at the right time even though normal

Communications might have completely broken down, to

Get through the crisis,

Or micromanage the group's activities, or buy into

The dependency of being micromanaged?

The choice is yours.

isher

Ah. As a nation we aren't a democracy. We are a republic of states. Our founders knew that democracies are self destructive because the majority can vote itself benefits from the minority.

Our founding states knew that too and that's why the constitution strictly limits the powers of federal government.

That's why the smallest state with the smallest population gets the same number of senators as the largest state - to keep the majority from ruling them.

We elect leaders to represent, not rule us supposedly.

I still believe that every cohesive group will need a leader, and sub-leaders in certain specialties. Without an agreed upon leader there is anarchy with everyone doing as he pleases and no one answerable to the group.

I have worked in a large company which seemed to waste half of management's time in meetings. Many of those meetings were to try to reach consensus on things. That seems to be the new style. It's one thing to be open to listen to people and to respond to good ideas, and another thing for everyone to believe he has an equal say and get bogged down in trying to reconcile that.

I say pick a leader and if that's not working, remove that leader and elect a different one.

$.02

Merry Christmas, Lads! Hope you and yours are warm and dry this evening!

The fundamental thing about us, is that we all bring different sets of talents to the group and at different levels of expertise.

It's the impossibly true adage that, the more you learn about something, the more you find out what you don't know! I'll bet with all my knowledge about say, carpentry, that I'll find someone that knows a liitle bit more and so on...

I believe that we can flatten out the group (thanks, Isher), and all help eachother as equals. I also believe that because we have particular talents, that we should allow the more qualified to step in and take charge (thanks, Gunner)

Got to put the egos aside! If it's survival, there's a zombie, I've got the firearm, but you're a better shot...you take it!

Can you admit you're wrong and give up command/authority if it's the right thing to do in a particular situation? Can you?

Will

Merry Christmas, Lads! Hope you and yours are warm and dry this evening!

Merry Christmas to you too!

Can you admit you're wrong and give up command/authority if it's the right thing to do in a particular situation? Can you?

Will

Of course, and I've never seen a good leader who couldn't. That's why well run organizations have a legal dept, an accounting dept, an IT dept, and so on. An insufferable CEO who can't yield to areas where he has little expertise is doomed to fail.

Great leaders want people around them who are smarter than they are because those people will make them look good. Insecure leaders want people around them who can't challenge them, mistakenly thinking that will make them look good.

Many years ago I went to a concert in Portland with Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass. During the concert he took questions from the audience. Someone asked him what his "secret" to success was. His answer?

"I just surround myself with the best musicians I can find and hope to heck that they drown me out."

True story.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads