JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1) HST or Gold Dot because that's what I often find on shelves at my favorite LGS. Usually 12X grain weight

2) Literally whatever is cheapest. Right now, that's my handloads. Often times it's blazer or Fiocchi.

I've been known to have mags with mixed brands (GASP!) in them.

1- For concealed carry, buy 1 box of each defensive ammo on the BiMart shelf and put it on paper. Find the bullet weight your gun is most accurate with. Then buy that one :cool: . Hits are more important than the voodoo that round does upon entry.
2- bulk ammo in the same bullet weight a number 1.
Rarely does anyone in these threads ever mention accuracy of the ammo they choose. Kudos.
Most pore over endless gel tests and choose ammo based on relatively minute difference in ballistic performance. Yet accuracy differences can be upwards of 100% worse in certain pistols.
That's where I choose to focus. If you miss the target, all the penetration and expansion in the world doesn't do you any good.

I have some Blazer and Aguila 124 gr FMJ loaded up for home and that's what I plink with.
I've bought some sig V-Crown 115gr and 124gr JHP, but I haven't run any to test reliability yet so I use the FMJ rounds instead.
I've been carrying around my SP101 loaded with LRN 158gr 38spl. It's the same diameter bullet...

CCI Blazer Brass is my favorite range ammo.

Federal HST 147 grain for defense guns, though I am currently on the hunt for a hollow point with less poi shift. We'll see where that leads.

Rarely does anyone in these threads ever mention accuracy of the ammo they choose. Kudos.
Most pore over endless gel tests and choose ammo based on relatively minute difference in ballistic performance. Yet accuracy differences can be upwards of 100% worse in certain pistols.
That's where I choose to focus. If you miss the target, all the penetration and expansion in the world doesn't do you any good.
I don't know if my guns are some kind of odd one out but, I never can find any difference in the ammo on paper. When shooting at up to 50ft in all my pistols and my PCC's I can never see any difference in any of it. Often the mags end up loaded with at least a few kinds of ammo. As I often will take partial boxes of the range stuff and dump it in containers. Groups are the same.

Reputable +P or +P+ 115 or so grain HP's in 50 round boxes, not boutique 20's, for carry and home-cast/loaded SWC's or RN in buckets, not little divided 50 round plastic storage cases.

Where do you buy these bullets

Home - The Blue Bullets

I like the blue bullets, but I like SnS casting ones more. Coated Bullets - 9mm - snscasting The SnS ones are super slippery, they do a really great job with the coating. The Blue bullets are probably the second best on the market, that I've tried, for having a good coating process. No flaking off or chipping, not as slippery as the SnS ones.

Of course, I like my OWN cast bullets best of all, a 135 grain .357 slug for 9mm Luger in "zombie green" poly coated truncated cone. MP molds #358-130, with a soft mix of wheel weights and range lead. Super accurate over 3.7 to 3.9 grains of Accurate #2.

I also like SnS 147 flat points over 3.4 grains of AA2.

My defense loads are pretty much whatever says "Defense" on the box. Given the prior discussion in here, I should probably pattern those on paper and see if there are accuracy issues. "BANG ($1.25) " "BANG($1.25)" Hard not to hear that cash register ringing each time...

I guess I am late to the party.

1) Federal HST typically 147gr but sometime 147gr or 147gr +P rounds. If 147gr is not available then I use 124gr instead. Both my 9mm guns like these rounds.
2) 147gr Winchester Ranger rounds. My FNX-9 does not like this ammo since once in a while I have a FTE. My FNX-9 likes HST rounds just fine
3) Speer Gold Dots either a 124gr or 147gr. I have a few boxes left since but I have been buying HST rounds instead.
4) Remington Golden Saber Black Belt 124gr +P both my 9mm like this ammo as well.
5) Remington Golden Saber both 124gr and 147gr. Both my 9mm like this ammo but that bullet design is somewhat dated but I still have few boxes.

Range use*:

a) 115gr Sellier & Bellot SB9A. Seems a bit hotter / faster than standard 115gr, not quite +P tho.

b) 124gr Winchester NATO. Almost a +P.

c) 147gr blazer brass. Mostly just to see how subs/near subs run...in case I get us into NFA land.

d) whatever odd 115gr brass case plinkers bought in another time.

*Have "bunches" of them, however will likely flip over to home rolled 115,124 &147gr shortly (like as in a few months, or whenever I get around to doing so...).

May, or may not sell off the manufactured stuff.

Defensive stuff, no real preference*. All tried have cycled / run fine.

*in the Ruger LC9S series guns I tend to keep the super light Ruger ARX poly high velocity stuff in primary magazines, with 124gr NATO ball in backups. Simply due to short barrel/small size/recoil. Have a small bunch of the Ruger, now since discontinued. Supposedly still available thru the manufacturer.

Last Edited:
1) Home rolled 124 gr XTP
2a) Outdoors - Home rolled 124 gr Xtreme RN
2b) Indoors - best priced 124 gr, right now Blazer, Federal, Herters in the box

On a tangent, anyone carry with 9mm +P+ ammo? I'm seeing some interesting numbers on ammo from Underwood, Buffalo Bore, et al.

I used to shoot a ton of 9mm Parabellum back in the day, know I shot +P, but honestly don't recall if I shot much, or any +P+ loads. For reasons unknown (and I've long since given up on figuring out why I'll develop a fixation, firearms or otherwise) my focus has turned back to this one, and the really hot ammunition looks interesting.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top